Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

I was impressed with the Rocket Flannel I got. It definitely delivered for the $80 or so I paid w/ shipping. I wasnt sure if I was going to keep buying from the brand, but Ive backed the Green/Black twill and will probably buy at least one more shirt before the summer. Im actually not into Gustin denim or Workshirts but I really liked the flannel I got and the gingham I got.

2. CasvalRD

CasvalRD Well-Known Member

The original Woolrich Herringbone CPO is back up... Honestly the only thing stopping me from ordering is the $60 shipping to Canada... That's 36% of the product's original cost!

3. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

I want one of these as well. Feel like I'm in between sizes.

Anyone experience variations in sizing like with some of Gustin's offer offerings or are these in line with the measurements on the fit guide?

4. Phantoom

Phantoom Well-Known Member

They really need a one or two pocket version of that CPO. Right now it looks like something Kenneth Cole would sell.

5. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

How about Epaulet or WvG? Both offer comparable products in the $150 range (which is what I was referring to due to the Thomas Maison stuff, though I admit that was unclear). You won't get made in the US for $70-$80, but I honestly don't care about that enough to wait 3 months.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

So you're comparing things that cost twice as much to Gustin? Bravo.

Edit to add:

I once found a brand new Brioni dress shirt for $80 on the clearance rack. Should I also compare those to Gustin?

7. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

Not in general, I was talking about the higher priced items after seeing the $50 T-shirts. I just said you're not going to get made in the US for cheap....my whole argument was that I don't understand backing expensive fabrics when they're are comparable products available without the wait.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

So, you're comparing a $150 Gustin shirt made with awesome fabric to something that costs the same and is made from lesser fabric?

I took a look at WvG's website, and saw shirts priced up to $370 or so. How do those compare to the $150 top-end shirts by Gustin?

9. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Those pricey WvG ones are usually limited editions made from a rare fabric that they sourced somewhere. Not sure if the price is justified by the quality, but they're unusual items some people are willing to pay for. Most of the items they sell are not nearly that expensive. And membership makes everything half price.

It's kind of a dumb comparison, though, since there's no one true brand. Each have their strengths. You could also get something similar from Proper Cloth that's MTM for similar price points with the same fabric. I think most people don't feel the need to limit themselves among what most consider to be good microbrands, and I have pieces and am happy with all three of these companies.

10. Sieglinde

Sieglinde Senior member

Anyone familiar with the Slim Fit Chinos?

Comparable in fit to other brands?

11. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Tough to compare - you want measurements for a 33?
    I have a pair of Levi's M&C in 33 that I had to have the waist taken in by an inch!

12. Sieglinde

Sieglinde Senior member

Yeah sure.

Just want to know if they are as slim as pair of Urban slim chinos from J.Crew or even the 484 line.

13. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

Gustin usually offers a substantial discount off the retail price of comparable items. You may find equal or better values on sale, but in that case you have to wait until the end of the season anyway, and I've found most of the styles I like don't make it below $100 per shirt in my size. The Thomas Mason shirts, good value or not, were only a one time offering and not typical of Gustin's line. Right now Gustin is offering 5 styles of button-ups at $76, 1 flannel at $109, and 1 Navy Selvedge Chambray for $87.

There are other brands like WvG that offer comparable or arguably better quality at a similar price point, but those brands are not numerous. WvG 's product line is dissimilar to Gustin's, and even where they overlap the style is much different. You can't substitute WvG for Gustin or vice versa. You can throw Taylor Stitch in for comparison as well, but they also offer limited products (at least at one time) and don't offer an equivalent for most of Gustin's fabrics and styles.

The point isn't that Gustin offers a better value than one can possibly find, but that they offer a good enough value relative to what else is out there to make the waiting time tolerable. Some have concluded otherwise, and that's fine too.

14. clew

clew Active Member

So bummed...just picked up my loomies I've been patiently waiting. Open them up and are exactly what I wanted material wise, perfect. Huge issue, I ordered a 35 and they are sewed up almost identical to a 33. I know they sew up a bit smaller than spec, but 2 sizes is ridiculous considering the need to soak/shrink them. I wear a 33 in Gustin, so there is no way ill ever get to wear these...putting them on presoak they are tough to button the top one, which would be perfect with any other fabric.
    Seriously Gustin, this has become way too common.

15. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Gustin Graphite Chino in 33 Slim, washed a number of times, line dried.

Waist - 33 1/8 inches

Under crotch to 2 inches below front pocket re-enforcement - 10.5 inches
    6 inches down from crotch, measured at widest point - 10 9/16 inches
    12 inches down from crotch, measured at widest point - 9 inches
    32 inches down from crotch (my inseam), 7 11/16 inches