Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Ratioclothing.com seems to use the same fabrics* and is MTM to boot. They're not too much more expensive, sewed in NC. Gustins "details" are a little better and I think they have a more robust fabric selection (I'm pretty enamored with Gustin's flannel selection), but Gustin shirts don't fit me and MTM does.. Ratio will also sew up a shirt in your own fabric, but it'll cost you :: looks at my liberty of london MTM blouses ::

*see Gustin "Midnight Plaid" and Ratio's "Dennison Plaid," for example. But that's probably the only straight across comparison.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

^Very interesting. I had not heard of them. Thanks!

3. loxo

loxo Senior member

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Apparently, Made in China is better.

5. thehaven22

thehaven22 Well-Known Member

For one, you skip the 3 month wait. Not sure how comparable the quality and fabrics are, but Gustin claims a wholesale price, which should be lower than comparable shirts.

6. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Thomas Mason makes a lot of different shirtings. It's not all one tier of quality. My guess is that Gustin used a substantially nicer fabric than J. Crew.

Although I do agree that their price point for that particular run was a bit of a head-scratcher given that we didn't know what type of Thomas Mason fabric they were using.

7. CharlieAngel

To be fair, having owned quite a few J Crew shirts and a single Gustin shirt for fit test (no dice), I think the Gustin shirt is a little nicer. Small details like the horizontal bottom button whole with the contrast red stitching, the rear collar button made me happy; I had no qualms with the Gustin shirt and given an identical price point, I'll take the Gustin all day, every day, unless I'm in an emergency "must buy shirt right now" situation. Some people don't care about Made in USA/China, but I'm in a position to where I can afford to make that distinction when I think it's important.

No way in hell am I paying $50+ for a fucking t-shirt, though.

8. unrooted

unrooted Senior member

Have any of you received your jeans the month Gustin claims they would be mailed out?

Gustin would do themselves a HUGE favor by putting longer lead times on their website, then if they for some magical reason get the jeans finished early they'll make their customers a lot happier. As it is now everyone bitches about their stuff being delayed.

I would love to be able to wear my Heavy Weight Jeans in the winter. . .

9. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

You leave out the part that a J. Crew shirt can easily be had for much less than what they retail for, whereas Gustin's don't go on sale and you have a significant wait time. I have a couple J. Crew shirts and I remember paying about $25 for each, free shipping, and no wait time.

10. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

Almost all of my stuff (except for my Beasts which broke some machines) was shipped during the correct month. I know there are plenty of people with the occasional delay and those with crazy delays (first run of chinos was really bad), but for the most part, I would like to think it's on par. The November/December/January stuff now was unusual. A lot of people have been asking about how normal this delay is lately. It's definitely not normal. G has sent out status emails saying how NOT normal it is and that it was due to them overestimating their (Gustin team/Sew shops/Etc) ability to keep up. It's not an excuse, but it does say they are trying to own up to it.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

What's your point? I sold a J.Crew shirt onEbay yesterday for $15. Obviously a lesser brand can be had at a cheaper price...

12. zissou

zissou Senior member

That's the great thing about their business model. If not enough people are willing to pay that much, then it isn't made. I think I've paid that much for a 45rpm tee, but that's it.

--------------------
    Maybe I've just grown less impulsive in my middle age, but I don't really care about wait times.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

13. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I may have come into the WvG picture late enough in the game that it was already a better-than-it-used-to-be-oiled machine, but I've always had good experiences with the brand, and I'd put WvG a couple rungs up the ladder from Gustin in the shirt game as far as the finished product is concerned. Generally speaking, when see one of Gustin's standard shirt offerings that appeals to me, my eventual decision is that I'd rather pay anywhere from zero to forty dollars more (or occasionally a little less) for something nicer that fits perfectly and doesn't need tailoring.

That said, I'm stoked for the khaki workshirt I just ordered as well as the city coat that will hopefully ship this month, I like the chambray scarf (even if it's not quite as nice as the ones from The Hill-Side), and I'm hoping for more five-panel hat offerings further down the pike.

14. joshgustin

joshgustin Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

It's happening.

[​IMG]

15. CharlieAngel

For sure. More power to them and to those that will. It's not my money, but then again, a lot of folks wouldn't spend the kind of money i spend on things like Aldens or non-Gustin denim. :)