Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. JasonYeckel

JasonYeckel Senior member

Just looked at the site for fun. What is up with the 50 dollar t-shirt is that just one shirt?

To the question about is Gustin quality "amazing" for the price, NO. We might have different definitions for amazing, just like josh gustin and I did with "premium".

2. raddoc

raddoc Well-Known Member

I'm personally looking forward to the japan repro tshirt Jason is attempting to ridicule...I'll compare it to my flathead etc tshirts which cost more than double and we'll see.

3. RohitSingh

RohitSingh Well-Known Member

can anyone comment on the fit of the skinnys? pics?

thanks[/quote
    . My skinny turned out to be skinnier than measurements posted on Gustin site, but it fits so I am fine ;)

4. JasonYeckel

it is 80 percent recycled organic cotton, i will admit beefy 7.5 oz weight but 50 freaking bucks. I want tons of pictures lol i mean i got a 30 dollar loop wheel naf and was not near impressive over wholesale beefy ts from hayne's

5. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

Then buy your T shirts at Walmart. Who's stopping you? Try to find a recycled cotton T at Blue in Green for $50. Those are the items that Gustin is trying to duplicate at a lower price point. Whether they (always) offer comparable quality is debatable. But the business model is solid. This is like when people complain about $200 sweat pants. If you don't want it don't f'n buy it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

6. JasonYeckel

What brand are they emulating? please link it up other then name drop blue in green. Two i am not convinced of this holy grail of a 80% recycled fabric so it is a 100% cotton shirt your telling me they make better cotton shirts out of recycles then pre consumer materials? I just wonder if this shirt has a lot of short hair fibers in it causing early pilling and other general issues with cheap stock. I get a japan mill produced it and charges for it but experience of wear in of such fabrics would have been nice. Please post pictures once you get yours that would be golden, bear.

Ok after looking at 45 to 125 dollar shirts on blue in green. I guess you directly compare them to loop and wheel and they don't produce 80% they do a full out 100% i am confused now how these recycled/reuse fabrics can compare to the first run fabrics/yarns. Anyone care to elaborate possibilities on this? Do they wear in any different over time then a proper first run fabric/yarn?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

7. raddoc

raddoc Well-Known Member

Well said goldenbear, couldn't agree more. Having shopped at Bin
    G for years, I do appreciate this lower price point, for, at least in my experience, equal quality. I understand the allure of $350 Japanese jeans made in japan, and one could justify their purchase, but any other American denim, other than Roy maybe (for the sewing quality, not the denim or cut) seems pointless to me now.

8. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

Royalapparel.net sells organic, organic bamboo and recycled blend tee blanks at reasonable prices (some US made and some not). I love every tee I own from them. I can indeed confirm that my recycled blend tees from Royal do in fact have pilling, but it's nothing I would complain about. Very soft and comfortable Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

Has anyone tried Gustin's slim fit oxford shirts yet? I am hoping that their slim medium fits slimmer and longer than a Gitman Vintage medium. I've backed four now, but have to wait another couple of months for them to arrive :embar:

10. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

I got the slim fit flannel in large. Im very happy with it. It fits slimmer than the J Crew Slim. Its the slimmest fitting slim I've worn. I can't compare it to Gitman but I can't imagine GTM fitting any slimmer.

11. zissou

zissou Senior member

Thanks. I've never worn a J Crew slim medium, but I can fit into a J Crew small OCBD for a slim (but slightly short) fit. I checked Gustin's slim medium measurements against one of my BBBF shirts that fits me perfectly, and it looks very similar. I'm looking forward to receiving them. So far, I've backed the Japan blue and wine oxfords, and the slubby nep and true navy selvage chambray. I'm looking forward to moving away from Gitman Vintage...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

12. autumndreams

autumndreams Senior member

Sure thing:

[​IMG]

Needs an ironing. This one's the army green canvas. I'm about 190 lbs and 6'2", wearing a large.

I can't speak to the specific shirt in question. I too was a little baffled when I saw how much they were charging for it. If you look back a little ways, you'll see that they were offering two packs of regular black, heather grey, and white t-shirts for $26 for two. I can only imagine, all things considered, how much more that fabric they're using must cost considering the 4X increase in price from the last run. It appears as though they're using the same construction techniques from their previous batch of plain 5 oz jersey T's.

So...either the raw materials are significantly more expensive, or they're marking it up because there isn't anything else quite like it on the market in that price range. The truth is probably a combination of the two.

All I know is that I won't be picking up either of the two new ones they've just posted...either the repro or the splash (for $52 this time). I hope to see Gustin go back to the low-ish range for upcoming t-shirt releases. $30 for a single T is my pain point. $50 is just...too much. My cat's gonna take one jump on my lap, start kneading her claws into it, and viola. Holes in my brand new 50 dollar T. Yeah, I'd rather not.

To all ya'll who are getting either of the above...do share when you get 'em.

13. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I'm guessing the lined trucker isn't happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Aren't you on the taller side? I'm surprised GBV shirts would fit you at all what with the meager sleeve length. I have a couple that have a slightly more generous sleeve, but most of the ones I've tried on end above the wristbone on me.

15. zissou

zissou Senior member

Yeah, shorter sleeves, along with the billowy body, are the main reasons I greatly dislike GBV shirts. It looks like Gustin sleeves are about 0.5" longer than even BBBF, which are just right on me. BBBF is nice and slim in the body, and Gustin's are just a hair wider.