Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. rbarthel

rbarthel Senior member

Honestly these are all good questions. I've been waiting on a dark oak chore coat for ~6 weeks now that has yet to go to production (my first Gustin order). It's quality and cut will have to seriously blow away the competition for me to reinvest in a followup campaign. I think I rolled the dice mainly just to see what the fuss is about. There is a good chance that the jacket is a complete waste of time and money for me (won't fit, cut won't look good, hate the color in person, QC issues, etc). Whatever the result, I can console myself in that I supported a small domestic company with an interesting business model.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

2. evolved

evolved Senior member

I like the quality of product for the price and the variety that they offer.

What I don't like, and I think it could pose a long term threat if they fail to address it, is the innaccuracy of their finishing times. I've backed a variety of campaigns and I think only one (apron) was delivered according to the original timeline.

Despite that, I still order from them.

3. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

Most people on here have experienced wait times all over the board. Right now, it's just really bad because they thought they could do more in the same time frame, but they (or the sew shop) couldn't handle it. For me, and I've bought a lot through them, they average out to on time. I've had absurdly fast turnaround on some shirts a few pairs of jeans. The workshirts...definitely slower. Only their first "round" of them, so I can get that. Same with the CPO's which are aiming for a month late. As has been stated in the past, the first rounds of chinos were really really late. I'm still content enough. The products I have received have been solid so far with a few exceptions that were handled very well and very quickly (minus a pair of okayama standards which I never complained about). QC issues...sizing varies a lot. I've got some 35's that are over 36" and some that are under 35. And a 34 that was probably close to 34... I've had pairs be pulled due to being that 1% that don't leave the factory. Now I sound like I'm ranting fanboy-style.

4. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

Because I have some experience with production times and what that entails, I will take a stab at what they deal with and try to explain it.

We as consumers buy off the shelf which is ready for the taking. What we don't know is how long that jean or shirt took to be made and received by the store we bought from. Buyers (middlemen) for dept stores deal with the wait times so we always see the end result which is an item for sale and ready to ship. That item may have taken 4 months to be ready to ship which the buyer waited for before they posted it for sale. Of course its possible the buyer of that dept store could have been in the dark to how long that specific item took and just received the order with in a week or so . Maybe the brand sold it when the items were ready to ship but they held the shipment back until the 200 they sold was complete after 3 or 4 months production time. Kind of like that saying" does a falling tree make a sound if nobody is around to hear it". When we buy off the shelf we unknowingly bought an item that took 3 or 4 months to make its way to that shelf

As buyers of any direct to consumer models we get the benefit of no middle men which gives us that great price we love but also opens up our knowledge of what that middle man usually deals with. We pay less but our innocence to production issues/times is lost.

We are basically buyers for our own dept stores

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

5. Mutombo

Mutombo Senior member

I like the quality for the price, the interesting fabrics, and that they are a local (to me) business. I also love their button up shirts, especially now that they offer a long fit. I haven't needed any of the pieces I've ordered from them right away, so the wait times don't bother me.

The only thing I don't really understand are the sizing discrepancies in their pants. One of the pairs I received measured over an inch smaller in the waist than the sizing guide, and had to be returned (for store credit). It seems like it would be a very minor addition to their QC protocol to measure the waist of all pants before slapping a tag on them, but I'm not in manufacturing so I don't know everything that goes into it. It appears that pants being too small for the tagged size are the most common QC complaint I see in this thread though, which is a pretty big issue when you are buying clothing over the internet with such a long wait time.

6. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

While I did have a good experience with my trucker, I don't think I'll be ordering jeans from Gustin based solely on the inconsistent sizing that a lot of customers seem to go on about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. raddoc

raddoc Well-Known Member

All my stuff have been within spec, and will continue ordering. My guess is that the complaints on this forum hardly constitute "a lot", and likely reflects tiny percentage of the product and buyers.

8. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

2 for 2 for me, Light WhiteID and Graphite Chino were both ace.

9. felizuno

felizuno Active Member

If anything jeans (and chinos) are the more consistent products for me. My shirts have been all over the map, but the pants have always been killer. I've only ever had one issue with pants, and the Gustin team was very accommodating. You should try a pair from the stock page, that's how I confirmed my size at first.

10. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Well-Known Member

I like the value and I'm patient enough that the wait times don't bother me (much, lol). I've got three pairs of jeans, all 33 straight, all fit the same. There is a little variation based on the weight of the denim, the heavier pairs are harder to stretch out after a wash than the lighter pair and so feel tighter at first.

I've also got a trucker and two button-down shirts. All are excellent. I ordered a green trucker in medium which fit too tight and I didn't like the color. Sent it back for credit, no issues.

My card holder and key rings are nice too.

I've posted once or twice in praise of these items, but I think those of us who are satisfied don't make as much noise as those who have issues. The nature of the internet forum.

No reason not to try a Gustin product, unless you are just too impatient.

11. BernieIsMyCat

BernieIsMyCat Senior member

I've bought 8 Gustin jeans; 7 online and 1 in person in their office. The 7 arrived between the middle of the promised month and the middle of the following month. All 8 were within 1/2" of spec.

12. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I've purchased many items from Gustin, including 7 pairs of jeans. One of the 7 were sized out of spec.

13. Muey

Muey Well-Known Member

I think Gustin's quality is generally good for the price.

But the world is full of cheap clothing today, and with an internet where you can get MTM stuff for the same price or less compared to many retail options, it's a good question to ask what Gustin offers over possible alternatives.

For me, their main value proposal is in the variety of fabrics, sourced from from reputed "western" fabric mills, that they offer at a mostly competitive price point. Sure you have to wait a long time for the products, and the availability of anything is sporadic at best and completely random at worst - but how many other jeansmakers have even near the same breadth of selection? At this price/quality point? Their business model lends well to experimenting with the product selection, and I like that they play to this strength. Where else can I get cotton herringbone chinos for 120$ or rainbow nep jeans for 90$?

OTOH, personally I have little to no interest in their regular shirts - other places do these better, for the same price, and made-to-order in both measurements & details (also not a fan of the normal Gustin shirt cut/collar). No, not in western countries. I will buy western rather than a chinaland all else equal, but if the chinaland offers an overall better product, that's where I will go. Which tangentially, is an interesting point - it feels like the internet MTM boom mostly skipped over the "Denim" niché for the longest time for what ever reason, which feels kind strange. Why?

Either way, I wish Gustin would concentrate more on the fabric aspect in their shirt range too - the internet is full of Oxfords and plaid shirts, but much less so slubby nep chambrays and heavy cotton herringbones. Why do what everyone else is doing?

14. Jdub6

Jdub6 Senior member

After having purchased (too damn many for my income:) Gustin shirts, workshirts, jeans, chinos, chore/trucker coats, belts, etc., I have found fit and quality largely on point besides the outlier chinos running really small. Gustin customer service has been exemplary as I have had some relatively minor QC issues and said sizing issues. I wouldn't be on here giving praise obviously for it not for the stated props. Gustin has largely been revelatory for me personally as I have never been one to shop for clothing (used to wear ten year old Chinese made Levis and really didn't think twice) and Gustin has precipitated an exodus of my hard earned and limited income to American made quality garments with relative value. That being said, I have of course (as a relative newb to the denim world) been looking at heavier weight (after receiving my 18oz Zims-sized up 1(!) and they're great:) and was about to pull the trigger on the current campaign for "#17 Super Heavy" at $121 and found some relatively similar prices coming from N&F with their 19oz for $150 and of course the Elephant 4's at 22oz where some have had for around $150. Would love some thoughts on those with experience with heavier weights as I was rather of ignorant to N&F as I always saw the really high price points of Flat Head, Iron Heart, etc. with regard to heavy weight. Thanks.

15. phxaz

phxaz Well-Known Member

Can some please post a pic of the chore coat worn all buttoned up? thx.