Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. cthip

cthip Senior member

I've contacted twice in the past--once successfully (I got store credit), and once unsuccessfully (I'd already washed the shirt before realizing the fabric was not the same as the one I'd backed).

The general tone of the correspondence was: we'll take just about anything back that hasn't been washed or worn. They didn't seem particularly concerned with any quality control or quality improvement initiatives, or feedback regarding the customer experience when things go wrong.

While those weren't particularly pleasant experiences, they weren't bad either. I still order from them, but less often.

The truth is, it's a huge disappointment to us when we receive something that we'd "backed" and waited anxiously for--more so than other items we purchase. In spite of this, Gustin's business seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. Though we're quick to post our complaints and concerns here, I don't think enough people are requesting returns for Gustin to really consider changing anything in the QC department.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014

2. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

I've ordered 3 things from Gustin: a pair of Okayamas, the postal herringbone WS and the aforementioned CXL belt. Two fit perfectly and are fantastically made. The third I sent back. For me that's a reasonable percentage considering this is online guessing of size, fit, and construction quality. I'd probably be singing a different tune if I'd had have multiple issues and inconsistent sizing.

3. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

They've always taken my stuff back as long as it was unworn and unwashed. But only for store credit, never for a refund.

I don't know what they do with the pairs I send back though. Given I send them back due to incorrect manufacturing, I can't imagine they'd sell them as-is in their "stock" section. But I've never seen any jeans in that section that state the manufacturing/sizing was wrong, so where do those pairs go?

4. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Whoa, I can send back my indigo chore coat? I may do that and use the credit. Sweet.

5. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

You can find Filson stuff on sale occasionally. I picked up the small duffle a few weeks ago for $145. The medium was only about $20 more but it was for my wife so I opted for the small one.

Same. The quality on the #8 belt wasn't worth the $85 they were charging for it.

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

7. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Anyone have the waxed brown chore coat? Would love to see pics. There's a current campaign, but I've already backed the dark oak waxed chore coat. I wanted something casual and versatile, not sure which I'd like better.

8. chupas

chupas Senior member

I've very recently received the Loomstates, Zimbabwe 18s, and the Black3s. All three were sewn up about .5" tight at the waist compared to the fit guide sizing. I know that's within their QC specifications, but it does seem like there is a consistent (recent?) trend of jeans sewing up slightly small. Same thing happened with regular Zims, and I eventually got the top button buttoned and broke them in, but good god was it a pain in the ass.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

9. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Smaller waist measurement than advertised has also been true in my experience.

A campaign I backed has already been funded. If I don't receive a pair with reasonably accurate measurements, that will be the final time I back a denim campaign.

Their scarf on the other hand has given me no problems

10. felizuno

felizuno Active Member

With loomstate it's always been "buyer beware" that they are unpredictable, and by that token yours might fit awesome after the soak + stretch so have some hope! :)

I recently recd 3 pairs as well. Like you my Black3s have some issues, but my Zim Lights and Zim 18s were spot on. FWIW I did size up from 34 -> 35 straight for the Zim 18s and am glad I did, though I have to wear a belt to make sure the waist stays this perfect size.

11. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

You guys are making me nervous to back the graphite chino, a color I've been wanting.

Should I size up? What's your experience with the chinos?

12. gentfarmer

gentfarmer Senior member

I wear-
    Denim in 33 straight but they are tight in the waist even after wear and a soak.
    Chinos 35 straight and could use about 1/2 inch tuck in the waist
    Duck canvas chinos straight 35 and I will have to have the seat and waist taken in about a full inch.
    So your guess is as good as ours.

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

They have good customer service e and will take returns as long as they are in the same condition as when they shipped them to you.

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yes, their customer service reps are better than any other company I've dealt with. I just wish I hadn't had to use them multiple times.

15. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

I have a 33 slim that I've washed and worn a number of times.
    In it's current condition (pulled out of the hamper) it measures exactly 33 inches, which is also what I measure out at across the navel.
    I think these are perfect for me, and my wife agrees.