Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Quick question: anyone tried their button-down with a tie? I looked through the last 5-600 posts and didn't spot a picture, but I'd love to see how the collar rolls if someone has.

2. nomeX

nomeX Well-Known Member

I got my Small indigoxindigo chore coat today. I was afraid that the arms would be too short, judging how my waxed canvas truckers could use an extra inch after the creases were set. The fit was perfect for me. I did try my brother in law's Medium chore coat and I felt the sleeves were longer than I wanted. Fit pics to follow.

3. cthip

cthip Senior member

Eh, the collar is pretty short, which makes it difficult or impossible to wear all but the skinniest of ties. The 3rd button on the back of the collar means these shirts aren't designed to be worn with a tie, and will never really look quite right.

The collars are also pretty light. This is nice when worn unbuttoned, but combined with the relatively lightweight fabrics, there's really not much of a collar roll at all.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  4. cthip

cthip Senior member

You can just half the chest. I actually made the measurements while the shirt was laying flat, and doubled them exactly as described in Gustin's fit guide:

https://www.weargustin.com/fitguide#shirts

5. cthip

cthip Senior member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I got my indigo chore coat and it fits great! It is the perfect fit and the perfect length. I love the texture. It has many pockets but they are done in minimal design and it looks great. This was my first Gustin purchase and they hit it right out of the park!

7. HeavenResign

HeavenResign Senior member

So the chore coats have longer sleeves than the truckers? That's surprising. And unfortunate id like an inch on my trucker too haha

8. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

I mean, being unlined and made of a lightweight fabric never hurt the roll on my Mercer's, but I understand what you're saying. With the button on the back and the general description of the dimensions, it sounds comparable to an unlined version of the collar on a Lands' End sail rigger oxford, long enough that it looks good unbuttoned, but nothing like B2, classic Gitman, ect. Not that I'm comparing Gustin and LE in terms of construction or material quality, of course, just in general collar dimensions. I've actually had bow ties work pretty well with that collar, the strap's thin enough that the button in the back doesn't get in the way and any collar roll would be covered by the bow regardless.

9. joshgustin

joshgustin Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

We actually use a light weight sew in lining on the collar.

10. cthip

cthip Senior member

My mistake! Will edit.

Gotcha. It might work with a bowtie. You never know until you try! I can't compare to Mercer, but I can compare to Kamakura, LE Hyde Park, and Brooks Brothers oxfords.. The Gustin collar is significantly shorter and softer.

11. nomeX

nomeX Well-Known Member

Yes. I have two Waxed Canvas truckers in Small, and the cuffs do not clear my wrist bones. I normally take a 15 1/2" 32-33" sleeve. The Chore Coat went down below my wrist, despite having a shorter sleeve according to the fit charts.

12. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

it could also mean that you're sizing incorrectly on your trucker and should go with a larger size. I think the sleeves on my trucker are the perfect length

13. HeavenResign

HeavenResign Senior member

I'm a v small dude any larger and the trucker wouldn't be wearable. I know my measurements really well and am confident in my sizing. Could just be an outlier I guess. It's not a dealbreaker I still wear it pretty often

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  14. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

I experience the same "issue". I think I would need to compare my waxed trucker to a waxed chore coat to be sure, but I think the wax just causes it to drape funny and sit higher due to the creases. The IxI chore coat definitely "feels" like it has longer sleeves even though it is technical almost an inch shorter in the sleeve. I've got long arms for my size so I'm actually surprised at how the chore coat fits so well compared the the trucker.

15. GSG

GSG Active Member

Hi, does anyone know how Gustin's Japanese oxford shirt-fabric (5 oz.) compares to Gitman's in terms of weight? Gustin describes it as beefy and textured, just wanted to hear your opinions. Thanks