Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Ead3

Ead3 Member

Not really. I just can't stand the pedantic complaining about shipping.
    I merely suggested a possible reason and you went keyboard ninja.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

2. clew

clew Active Member

Nothing pedantic about facts, all I did was state them in a reasonable manner...you are really jumping to absurd conclusions. This is a place for discussion, if you don't like discussion then I'd suggest staying off forums.

3. Ead3

Ead3 Member

You got it, Mr Blackbelt.

4. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

Irks me too. We're probably talking about what, $7-8. Clew, Buck up and deal with it like the rest of us, or stop buying from Gustin if you don't like their shipping rates. It really is that simple. I don't think the guys at G will miss your business Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. clew

clew Active Member

Uhhh all I said was I got a couple jackets and jeans in the same flat rate envelopes...settle down ladies.

6. Ead3

Ead3 Member

You must be what is called a people person.

7. clew

clew Active Member

Good one? You're definitely offended, go take a couple deep breaths.

8. Ead3

Ead3 Member

Don't worry about me.

9. felizuno

felizuno Active Member

I used to live on the US/CA border and drive across once a week to take packages to Canada Post for work.

To be honest, the biggest difference with regards to Gustin's type of shipments is simply that US mail prices are being kept artificially low, so if you compare US to US+CA things look really unbalanced. This is more of a function of USPS undercharging than CA Post being expensive. We operate our post office at a loss [-$1.9b just in Q2 2014], because we're bad at math here ;-).

Beyond that, a flat rate is a fixed price based on an average cost. With 75% of Canadians living in cities within 100 miles of the US border you would think there is less risk in flat rates, but in truth those 25% are so expensive to serve that they skew the average delivery cost higher for everybody.

This is why FedEx/UPS/etc. are often cheaper for international shipments, as their average delivery cost is calculated across many markets whereby the risks of any individual market are mitigated. However, businesses get a much better deal from these private companies than you will individually. I too ordered some Barena blazers from the EU, and while it cost $20 to get them here it would have cost $260 to return one of them via FedEx. (Anybody wear a 52 in Barena? PM me...)

Also keep in mind that these are imported goods. CA want's to make it sting a bit to ship them because they would prefer you buy domestically e.g. Naked and Famous. While NAFTA prevents them from charging most import tariffs, the government can and does indirectly tax you via postage prices.

Real talk, if I were Canadian I would be much more upset about the price of beer ;-)

10. gaseousclay

No, you bitched about G's shipping rates and then said you expected them to charge you actual postage. When we called you out on it for basically being a penny pinching cheap bastard you started in with the name calling. I think you need to get your facts straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. cc3peat

cc3peat Well-Known Member

To get things back on topic, anybody have any first hand experience with the Japan heather grey? I'm thinking of backing them, the texture looks awesome. Looking like wool pants sounds intriguing.

12. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to imply I am looking for free/discounted shipping, just more expensive than anything I've ever shipped. I just purchased a heavy Filson waxed cotton jacket, and it is HEAVY. The cost to ship from a small boutique was $40 USPS, I assumed it wasn't subsidized being a small shop and it was flat rate. I suppose there are other factors I haven't considered but using previous purchases as a reference I would have though a certain carrier could at least get a CPO closer to $40. My point isn't to complain, only offer a suggestion that if another carrier was more competitive then purchases may be more attractive to customers on this side of the border. If not, then tough luck for us.

On another note, expecting my first pair of jeans very soon, looking forward to getting a few of my first products, seems like a good business. All the best.

13. gaseousclay

The thing about online ordering is that different businesses use different carriers for different reasons. Some might get discounted bulk shipping while others may not. I'm sure international shipments are riskier too and businesses have to make sure their end is covered (ie. Insurance). A Filson jacket is an expensive garment. Put yourselves in their shoes and imagine losing that package in the mail. Not only would you have to reimburse the customer the cost of the cost but also shipping. Add to that, the business just had an expensive jacket lost in the mail, or stolen. In the end, postage sucks but it's necessary. Those of you that live across the pond bear the burden of high postage but it's to cover your butt as well as the business Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Asking a small business to use multiple shipping companies is a bit much, if you ask me.

I ONLY ship using US Postal Service (except for bicycles, which I get packaged at a bike shop, and there's a FedEx Office Store around the corner from there, so I ship bikes using FedEx), and the reason has to do with the fact that the Post Office is on my way out from home, nothing else is. I realize that Gustin is slightly bigger than me (I'm a one-man shop), but I would assume that they have one employee who handles shipping. If they start having multiple possibilities for shipping, that's another stop that person has to make. It's more packaging that has to be stocked, and it's another potential source for an error in handling.

I'm not familiar with how Gustin ships most of their stuff, but I can tell you that everything I've ordered from them has come in USPS Priority packaging (I live approximately 50 miles away from them, so I'm assuming that shipping is cheaper than anywhere else in the US). The packaging is free, but the labor to pick and pack the items is not cheap.

The last campaign I backed (the Japan One Seven), the shipping charge was $5. To ship within the Bay Area, a 1-2 pound package would actually cost about $5.25, so clearly Gustin isn't making money on shipping for everything they ship.

And I'll tell you what I tell customers on Ebay. The shipping cost is stated up front, along with the price of the item. If you don't like it, move along (I don't say this quite so bluntly, of course).

15. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

I never really considered the bolded part, but that actually makes a ton of sense. I'm in the Toronto area so many of the clothing companies I order from come from warehouses not too far so I hardly wait for those. So I guess I can pay a little extra and wait a little longer for stuff coming from the states, esp when it's unique or not available here. I think the most painful part is seeing just how cheap the US shipping is in comparison, but that's not Gustin's fault as you pointed out. The cost hasn't entirely discouraged me, I've got a pair of jeans from G, and am eyeing another, but I'd probably own more if the shipping was $5. Then again, if I was in the states I may need to pay tax on those orders, and this would probably make it almost even.