Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

I'm 5'10, 190 lbs (size 40L jacket). Medium fits great in the body, sleeves are close to an inch short (long arms be damned).

2. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

You can always have the medium tailored in a bit in the chest/torso. You can't have the sleeves lengthened on the small

3. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

Wow, really? Do you prefer a very tight fit? I'm 5'9" and 160-165lbs and the medium is perfect on me. I could comfortably wear a sweater under it but it's still form fitting. I can't imagine being 25-30lbs and wearing the same size.
    Also, you wear a 40L at 5'10'? Is that b/c of the sleeve length your need? Again, at 5'9" I tend to ride the line between a R and an S. A long would look like a nightgown on me

I hope my questions don't come off as critical or judgmental b/c it's not how they're intended. Obviously, I know we could be built very differently and I'm just curious.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  4. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

Oddly enough, G's shirts look well tailored and the trucker...I can fit a sherpa-lined shirt jack (JCrew Factory so it's quite a bit larger than G's stuff) under the medium trucker. The only issue is that the sleeves are tight. Gotta unbutton the sleeves to take it off and if I've layered, I have to leave them open. I can't see going bigger - the body would be too much. It fits like if you were to combine the body width of their workshirts with the sleeves of their normal shirts (in my experience though that's only 1 work shirt...).

Anyway, the 40L really is because of the sleeve length. The body length...that's another story.

And no worries - I'll be the first to say that I'm above my ideal weight. An really, I should say body fat% because I have no idea how my muscle mass messes with my "ideal weight".

5. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

Hadn't thought of this but that would be even better than the original IMO.

6. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got my waxed trucker last week but only just got around to taking pics.

Verdict: i like it a lot and think Gustin did a great job. Yes, it sucked waiting 2 months but once the jacket arrived it was worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. nomeX

nomeX Well-Known Member

Most of my items are slated for a 2 month wait. I've been buying denim on the marketplace here and on rawrdenim. Can't beat $50 Imogen + Willie or Railcars.

8. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

• gaseousclay - care to provide some sizing info for reference?

9. gaseousclay

i'm 5'11, 185 lbs, have a 40" chest and bought a large. if I had purchased an xl I think the sleeves would've been too long and the chest too billowy. the sleeves/cuffs on the large drape where they should and the jacket feels fitted, but not overly constricting. basically it's the perfect fit for me. I also like that the shoulders aren't boxy like the Filson tin cloth jacket I tried on awhile ago. I now want to get the dark oak trucker.

10. gaseousclay

a thought just occured to me regarding the requests for a lined trucker jacket. Gustin's current waxed trucker is 13.5oz compared to Filson's 12.5oz tin cloth waxed short cruiser. Filson also sells a lined soy wax short cruiser that sells for about $35 more but it uses a 6oz twill cotton for the outer. My guess is that Filson's choice to use a lighter/thinner fabric wasn't really by choice but by necessity. I was trying to think how Gustin (or Filson for that matter) would be able to successfully sew lining into a heavier 12.5-13.5oz fabric and came to the conclusion that they probably can't. If Gustin did ever release a lined flannel or moleskin waxed trucker it would undoubtedly have to use a lighter weight cotton than the current 13.5oz that theyre using. The current 13.5oz cotton on the Gustin trucker is thick and stiff, so I can't imagine it being easy for a skilled sewer to attach lining.

11. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

^ a good point, and one I hadn't thought of
    Aren't there denim truckers out there that are lined with shearing and other fabrics?

12. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

Just because Filson doesn't do it means it can't be done. You can find a lot of products that are just as heavy with lining. Gustin could always use a lighter fabric if they're concerned with mobility and/or cost.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  13. gaseousclay

if you can point me to a thick, waxed cotton in the 12.5-13.5oz or above range that uses flannel or moleskin lining id like to see it. it's possible some of Filson's current Alaska fit jackets are lined but these are giant billowy jackets made specifically for layering. my thought was based on the practicality of having lining in a thicker trucker jacket. the Gustin trucker is fitted and adding lining to their 13.5oz outer would a) either further restrict movement or b) make it nearly impossible to layer underneath.

14. nomeX

nomeX Well-Known Member

He'll I'd just buy a heavy canvas lined coat and apply otter wax. Done and done.

15. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

Rogue Territory just released a 13.5 oz lined denim jacket. There are plenty of Japanese brands that have lined heavyweight denim (look at Self Edge's stuff), but those are anomalies. Using a lighter fabric makes sense since you simply don't need the same thickness due to the lining...doesn't mean it can't/shouldn't be done.

Edit...saw that you said waxed cotton. I'd have to look for that but there are definitely duck/canvas jackets with it. If it works for denim then it can work on most things

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014