Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. hens

hens Active Member

Hey guys, thinking about backing a shirt and was asking for some sizing advice.

I'm 5'10, 180 pounds with an athletic build and a 41inch chest. Can't decide whether to go medium or large? Any help?

2. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

I'd probably go large. I'm 5'9" and 165" with a somewhat athletic build and I'm a medium. Some of them have sewn up a little snug though, and the chest can be troublesome. If I were any bigger (i.e. your size) I would probably switch to large. That's especially true if you think you're only going to get larger

3. evolved

evolved Senior member

I'd go with a large. I'm 6ft, 170lbs with a 40R jacket size and the medium was verrrrry tight.

4. bertie

bertie Senior member

I'm 5"11" and 195, large just fits in chest (I am 42"ish). Sleeves are a tad long and overall length is just a bit shorter than I like for tucking but I have a long torso.

5. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

I would definitely go large. I'm 5'8", 150 with an athletic build, and the medium fits me better than most off the rack options.

6. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

With the new fits, I would like to the Japan Olive or the Super Slub brown back. Also, the Rocket flannel if possible.

7. x1van510

x1van510 Member

Really interested in the wool denim workshirt.

Is the wool dyed like the Apolis chore coat (rope dyed?) so that it'll fade like denim? I am to understand that because of the nature of the material, it probably wouldn't fade as crisp and contrasting as denim, though.

8. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Well-Known Member

I'm the same size. Go large.

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'd agree with that. I'm 6'0" with a 39" chest and the medium is a tad snug.

10. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Nice fit. For some reason I feel like this thread doesn't seem to get enough fits.

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I agree.
    I think we need to see more fit shots from people.

12. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

Conversely, I'm 5'10" with a 42" chest and medium is still a good fit (quite slim, but definitely not constricting or anything)

13. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

If I had a 42' chest I'm not sure that I could even button one of my mediums that was sewn up a little small

14. felizuno

felizuno Active Member

Just got my brown duck canvas chinos; I guess they shipped me the pair they sewed up for pictures. I'll post some pics later today, but some thoughts after wearing them yesterday:

~ This is tough duck canvas! Not stiff, just thick and meaty. It's like being dared to walk through a blackberry patch. Definitely getting heavy use for the Seattle fall/winter.
    ~ The fabric is softer than I expected on the inside, to the point of having a slight flannel feel.
    ~ At points where the fabric rubs on the outside, (like under my calf because I'm a leg crosser) I can see a nice fuzz working loose from the weave. I think a pic will say it best on this one.
    ~ I cuffed them so I could wear them right away, and now I'm considering leaving them long instead of hemming them. It's not as if I'll be passing these off as dress pants, and the cuff seems right at home with the tough fabric.
    ~ They were a bit tight in the waistband when I first put them on. I haven't measured them to see if they're on spec, but I also don't care because they stretched enough after the first wear.
    ~ Even when too tight, there was no way I was going to pop a button off these. Either the chinos were going to stretch, or I was going to get squeezed, but the buttons were staying put.
    ~ As these chinos don't have a split waistband I wont be able to let them out if they shrink in the wash (or I swell over the holidays)

My one piece of advice would be that guys in between waist sizes should consider sizing up. With no split band you can't easily let the waist out, but if they are slightly too big you can just wear a belt. Legs could be tapered if too baggy, or you could size up but choose a slim fit.

I'm 6 ft, 185 lbs, wear a 41 jacket and 34/35 waist in most pants (34 straight for Gustin denim). I got these chinos in 34, and would probably size up to 35 in the future. I like the thigh and lower leg widths of the 34's, and from the size chart it looks like the difference moving up to 35 would only add fractions of an inch (and possibly less given production variance).

15. felizuno

felizuno Active Member

[​IMG] Some fuzz developing on the outside of the duck brown:
    [​IMG]

... and the inside, which is much softer :
    [​IMG]