Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. gustin

gustin Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

We always accept returns of unworn, unwashed and unaltered items. If we've got something on hand you like in the right size, we'll ship it to you as a replacement, otherwise (or if you're international) we'll issue a store credit for the return.

2. StillFly

StillFly Active Member

Okay cool. That's very reasonable. Thanks for the quick reply!

So does Gustin have any black friday deals in the works? [​IMG]

3. Potato Flu

Potato Flu Active Member

Is there a time limit for returning an item? I got a pair over the summer that I'll never be able to physically fit in. It would be great if I can exchange them for anything that's a proper size.

4. Lafayette

Lafayette Active Member

More quality control issues with Gustin:

I ordered the 18 oz Super Heavy jeans.

They arrived with this flaw in the fly (near the top, you can see the thread not going all the way to the waistline):

[​IMG]

I didn't think too much of it at the time.

I wore these about a dozen times and threw them in the washer. After washing and wearing them a couple of times, this was noticed:

[​IMG]

The thread around one of the button holes on the fly has come undone. I have no idea if this was there before or after the washing cycle. I do know that it's unacceptable. I have $35 Levis that don't have these problems.

I plan on returning these to Gustin for either a replacement (if they have any of the same type) or a store credit.

I think Gustin should also credit me for the cost of the return shipping. I already paid the shipping for these to arrive. I don't think I should pay for the return shipping and even more shipping for another pair. There is no reason I should pay for Gustin's mistakes.

All over the internet, there are remarks from Gustin customers about the stitching on the shirts being shoddy and buttons being off center. I've read about rivets on jeans busting loose.

Due to Gustin's very poor quality control, I can't say I'll be ordering any of their shirts.

I really wish Gustin would stick to one thing and get it right before branching out. They cannot get their jeans right and they started making shirts. Then, they continued to screw up people's jeans (see my pics) and started screwing up shirts (see the off-center back button photo). Now, they're branching out into jackets.

Gustin, please get one product with consistent quality control before starting to expand your brand.

5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Did you email them? They usually have pretty good customer service.

6. Lafayette

Lafayette Active Member

Yeah, I'm waiting on a response.

I thought I'd "go public" with my issue, as there are those out there that may be interested in dropping some cash on their products. I want their potential customers to have an idea of their quality control issues.

Seriously, it really pisses me off that I waited on a pair of jeans that turned out to have such shoddy craftsmanship. For a company that claims their products rival $200 jeans, they sold me a product that cannot even rival $35 made in the third world Levis.

If they treat me right with the return, I'll gladly post about their customer service.

7. flatspotting

flatspotting Senior member

Almost seems there's more issues cropping up now, than there was in the earlier days of Gustin - maybe it is due to the branching out? Less time they can spend on each specific fabric and really nail it?

Hopefully all my stuff is perfect as I know plenty of others have no issues as well....

8. joshgustin

joshgustin Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

We got your support ticket and will reach out directly to take care of you.

We never like to see issues with our products. Even though the rate is small on the volume we produce every month, we know it sucks to be the person who hits an issue.

Thanks and keep an eye out for our email back.

9. Potsnu

Potsnu Senior member

Nope, it's the nature of the Internet. The only time I "go public" is when I deal directly with the retailer about an issue and it wasn't handled correctly.

Otherwise, if the response is satisfactory, I would praise the retailer for their excellent customer service and resolving the issue to my satisfaction.

People just like to come here and bash a brand for quality control issues, even though the defective ratio may only be 3% of the users who actually experienced an issue, making the issue seem much larger than it is.

If the issue gets resolved, you get a brand new product and they pay for return shipping what is the issue? You have that guy in the UK who basically refuses to accept any resolution the retailer is giving him by saying he can't be bothered, yet wants to complain. Classic.

10. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

If you're referring to me, I wasn't directly complaining but responding to someone else asking if anyone had the same problem as them. The issues i experienced weren't worth the trouble of waiting weeks for a replacement and possibly incurring more tax on the goods

11. imstone

imstone New Member

I recently had a problem with my denim from Gustin. Actually it was regarding my inside pocket getting a hole due to my phone being there. They were only 1 1/2 months old. Now maybe this was Gustins problem or maybe it was that my case was in a pocket too tight or maybe I just got a bad pair. I emailed them and they handled it perfectly. Yes people there will be problems. There are problems with everything. You must know going into buying something that there is a chance that something may happen. If you feel that there shouldn't be a chance than you may need to rethink buying anything ever again. My apple iphone has had problems however for 99 percent of the time I'm pleased. What makes a company isn't if there is something that may happen or already has happened. What makes a company at the end of the day is product and customer service. You want to know what? The next day Gustin helped me with my pocket problem I backed the Loomstate denim. If they are going to handle problems the way they helped me then they will continue to have me as a customer. Yeah it sucks to be the one with a problem however you typically only hear complaints, not compliments. What about all of the customers that don't have problems so therefore have no need to write on forums? Think about all the campaigns that gustin has going on and all of those hundreds of jeans out there. There is a shit tin of them and only such a small percent of problems.

12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Got no problem with that! I have 2 pairs of brand from Gustin that I think are great. I had cosmetic problems with the one shirt I bought and going by this and Gustin's own forum I'm far from the only one. I've seen companies get spread too thin by expanding too fast with quality suffering because of it. It'd be a shame to see bad news stories even come close to overshadowing the good stuff they do

13. cthip

cthip Senior member

My two cents:

I'm one of the first to report problems with a Gustin product here. A few more problems have been posted since then. It's common in any industry for people with problems to be more vocal, and for people who are satisfied to make relatively less noise. So, the problems that exist (and they exist at any company) are magnified in public forums like this one.

Let's take an objective look at it. Gustin doesn't have a warehouse or stores. This keeps the price down which is good for all of us. However, in the traditional model, each warehouse and each store provides additional levels of QA/QC. For example, a store employee unboxes a shirt at J.Crew, notices a flaw in it, reports it to the manager, who reports it to their warehouse, and somebody goes back and checks more shirts from that batch to see if they all need to be pulled off the shelves. As a result, fewer flaws make it to the shelves and are sold to the consumers.

With Gustin, we get things more or less factory-direct, so those extra layers of QA/QC aren't there. That means that problems are likely to arise at least as often as in traditional retailers, and maybe more often because Gustin doesn't have stores or warehouses to inspect. We're extra upset about flaws because we've waited or anticipated receiving the item for so long, and felt like we "invested" in it when we backed the product. However, Gustin has since been a little more clear about their exchange policy, which is actually reasonably generous. A few people (like myself and the person who posted the jeans above) have gotten burned because the flaws became more apparent after the first wash and/or wear and the items are no longer eligible for exchange.

Bottom line: Gustin is still making good stuff. I'll buy from them again (probably as soon as somebody decides to post photos of a well-made flannel). However, we have to realize that in this model (the model that saves us a lot of money), we are the QA/QC and need to go over our items with a fine-toothed comb before washing/wearing them. That way we can be taken care of if anything isn't right. Also, when flaws are reported, Gustin can't really trace them back to a bad batch since the remainder of the items have already been distributed to other customers--they're not sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

As a standing request to Gustin, we'd like to see higher QA/QC standards from your factories. We know this isn't 100% under your control since you're contracting this work out to established factories, but given that you don't have the privilege of inspecting at the store or warehouse level, your customers want to hold you to higher standards. The number of returns that you receive is not an accurate measure of the number of problem garments because many people just decide that exchanges aren't worth the hassle, and some flaws that aren't immediately obvious (such as the buttonhole in the jeans posted above, which seemed to get worse after washing) aren't eligible for return.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

14. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

People also need to realize that EVERY brand has production issues, even those that charge 3x what Gustin does. I can't comment on Gustin's quality since I don't own anything, but as Potsnu said, try contacting the brand before airing everything out. A company that believes in its product and has good customer service should gladly replace faulty items.

I agree that there may be a bigger issue at hand if customers are consistently sending product back, but at least give them a chance to correct the issue. How many complaints have we seen about N&F or Nudie denim blowing out? It happens, but overall, their quality seems to be fine and people continue to buy them.

15. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

One last thing. Excellent customer service is great. You know what's better? Excellent quality control. I think people should voice their concerns whether they're sorted out quickly or not cos some might not want to run the risk of waiting 2 months or more for something you've paid for only to have to return it, potentially for nothing better than a refund or store credit. Just my 2c