1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Exordium01

Exordium01 Active Member

My Gap slims are much tighter in the thighs than Gustin slims. Is the waist on the Gap jeans measured post-wash? Mine were size 29, but the waist is closer to 31" The size 29 Gustins were much closer to TTS.

2. fourspin

fourspin Well-Known Member

Yes, those measurements were post wash, but after several wears (i.e,. stretched).

3. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Senior member

I have the opposite experience with my Gustin slim fit compared to the way a GAP slim fits.

I tried the GAP raw denim and found the Gustin slim is tighter in the thigh which suits me better.

Maybe there is some variance in GAP manufacturing to account for or even the quality of the denim used in each jean? Perhaps GAP denim simply stretches more?

4. Exordium01

Exordium01 Active Member

Same size in both?

5. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Senior member

No.

GAP vanity sizes so the numbers on the tags were different but the initial fit was the same.

6. Stitches

Stitches Senior member

Received the latest White Oxford run, no complaints here. I really like the fabric, and, at that price point, the fit. Makes me excited for the Rust flannel.

As a late supporter, here's to hoping for another run of the Umber denim.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. HOT Sriracha

HOT Sriracha Senior member

Do you know how they fit compare to Uniqlo Slim fit oxfords? Did you stay TTS? Thanks!

8. Stitches

Stitches Senior member

Sorry, I don't own any Uniqlo so I couldn't say.

I usually go by neck, shoulder, and sleeve measurements when sizing. I went with a large since I need a 16in neck and, at least, 35in for the sleeves. I'd say it's TTS, and that their description of fitted vs slim is apt. Fitted as in you'll have roomier arms and body.

In comparison to Epaulet, Gustin's large is a little more relaxed which is a plus. Gustin's oxford material is also a lighter weight (or at least a softer hand) than Epaulet's.

The sleeves and chest have a bit more material than my liking, but that's an easy and cheap alteration at the tailor. I'll probably try a medium in the future. Overall and especially at $69, the shirt, material and fit, is a good value.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. barrettdudley

barrettdudley Senior member

Saw in the e-mail today that Umbers weren't even cut yet? The denim ahead of them in line was being shipped December 20th. Does this mean we won't get the Umber until 2014? Also, were they delayed for some reason?

10. Lafayette

Lafayette Active Member

Yes, I received your e-mail. Thanks for the speedy reply.

For all watching this thread about quality control issues and G's customer service, they've agreed to replace the jeans with whatever they have in stock or give me credit for an upcoming run.

Thanks, Gustin staff.

11. Lafayette

Lafayette Active Member

I think asking Gustin to reimburse me for the shipping return charges is reasonable, as they sent me a faulty product. No, it's not a lot of money, but it's the principle of the matter. It's not about greed, it's about not footing the bill for mistakes made by someone else.

Gustin has agreed to reimburse the shipping charges.

Their great customer service means that I'm staying a customer. In the long run, they profit by eating the shipping charges (for their mistake).

You think I should have a local tailor fix a mistake on a new pair of jeans (one wash and a dozen or so wears)? Again, it's not about the money, it's about the principle. I don't think customers should pay to repair flawed products, regardless of the denim's retail price (which I agree, is a great value).

12. Lafayette

Lafayette Active Member

I don't think I should lower my standards. I think you should raise yours.

If you're spending $275 to $380 on jeans, you deserve top quality construction.

It's not about the five bucks, it's about the principle of the matter.

Yes, it's *just* denim. Which is why it should be done right. If it's so simple, then there's less reason to screw it up. It shouldn't happen frequently.

Gustin has been more than helpful in the return / exchange process. If they had a "get over it" attitude, they'd lose customers. They're keeping me in their customer base.

13. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

What.

You returned it entirely? Don't they eat the cost of the entire pair of jeans then?

It just seems like a waste to force a return on an issue that can be solved by a repair. Just a waste of clothes.

14. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Are we missing the point of; you shouldn't have to repair clothes after one wash!?

15. delluminatus

delluminatus Well-Known Member

I just received a pair of American Classics in the mail. I immediately noticed a stitching issue on the coin pocket -- the threads going up the side of the pocket are just loose ends where they are supposed to go back into the jean above the rivet. It looks like they were either ripped or incompletely sewed. There is also a loose red thread on the stitching inside the coin pocket, and a frayed end on the end of the contrast stitching down the side of the left leg.

My phone camera is not up to the task of photographing such small details, but I can post photos when I get home.

It doesn't seem like a big enough deal to return the pants; I'll probably just cut off the excess thread. Nevertheless, loose/broken stitching on delivery doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Is this a common thing with raw denim?

By the way, other than that minor issue, the pants look excellent for $85. I will probably be buying my next pair of jeans from Gustin as well.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  16. .bishop

.bishop Senior member

I have a question - I got my gustin's (KMW 1950's spec replicas) and have been wearing them for almost 6/7 months, and have not experienced ANY fading or anything. Is this typical, or do these just somehow last longer? they were order lot #22 - Japan Selvage, 13.5oz, Red/White ID

17. forex

forex Senior member

18. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Just seems like a waste, that's all. Better to just ask gustin to repair the pair. It amazes me how unresourceful and wasteful people can be.

19. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Oh I'm totally cool with them repairing them! I thought you were suggesting the guy take them to a tailor. I'm not happy with the idea of them just being binned either

20. jakeypotato

jakeypotato Senior member

What did you do in them and how often do you wear ?