1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. proclus

proclus New Member

Have any of those who were having problems with the fit of the chinos checked the leg measurements? I had a similar experience when I got my pair of 32 straight--they fit absurdly tightly in all parts of the leg--and when I measured the thigh and knee in the manner prescribed by Gustin's fit guide I found that they bore no resemblance to the fit guide. The knee was an inch smaller and the thigh was an inch and a half smaller than the measurements in the sizing guide, which made them both significantly smaller even than a 32 slim should have been. Needless to say I returned them, but given how cagey Gustin was about the possibility of exchanging them for a correctly-sized pair (Cody asked me if I'd like to "try sizing up") I suspect the problem may have been pervasive, not just a defective pair they sent me. I would also add that their customer service in responding to the issue has been atrocious.

2. falathar

falathar Senior member

Aren't 2 pairs of Uniqlo selvedge = 1 pair of Gustins in cost?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

IDK, I rather have one pair of made in USA than 2 pairs of made in China.

1 person likes this.
  4. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

yes, 2 pairs of Uniqlo are the equivalent of 1 pair of Gustins. I would rather have US made but I didn't want to wait 2 months to get a pair from Gustin and I figured at $39.90 for a pair of Uniqlo the risk is worth it in case they don't fit. the Uniqlo's will be my first pair of selvedge jeans so I wanted to test the waters first before trying out other brands.

5. barrelntrigger

I think $40 is good for a pair of beater jeans. But you do get what you paid for. A member just alerted me of the Pure Blue Japan x Uniqlo colab for $70 a pop.

6. gustin

gustin Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

It's not a collab. It's simply a Uniqlo collection named "Pure Blue Japan"

7. barrelntrigger

[​IMG]

We've been duped!

8. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

There are two of you now?!?! Lawdy!

Here's the thing though, you aren't out anything if the Gustins don't fit. Their return/exchange policy is really strong.

9. proclus

proclus New Member

Actually, from my recent experience, they're only willing to exchange (from their limited inventory) or give store credit if you just order the wrong size or don't like the fit, so you would indeed be out your money unless something else they make is an adequate substitute. You would also have to pay additional shipping--they told me they would only reimburse me for return shipping if the measurements of the item were more than half an inch different from the fit guide. The measurements of my item were, and still they tried to offer me store credit and only agreed to a refund when I pointed out that they had effectively sent me a defective product.

10. js0930

js0930 Senior member

I had a similar experience. Ordered a 32 straight and a 32 slim and the straight fit great, if anything a little loose, while I couldn't get the slim over my thighs. I thought the measurements were off, they disagreed and I ate the return shipping. Customer service was fine, just understand if the measurements are at all close to what they're claiming they won't be sympathetic.

11. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Well, since the person I was responding to was buying denim, not chinos, there are plenty of adequate substitutes. I was talking to this poster:

And for the record, all of my purchases have been the same cut/fit, and every pair fits me exactly the same. I'm wondering if your chinos were mis-tagged.

12. proclus

proclus New Member

Actually my first suspicion was that they were incorrectly tagged, which was why I measured them and discovered that not only were the thigh and knee measurements too small for a 32 slim, but the cuff measurement was correct for a 32 straight (and therefore too large for a slim). It was a somewhat bizarre looking pair of pants. I have also had no problems with the three pairs of denim I've bought from Gustin, which I like very much. The only conclusion I can draw from my experience is that they had some massive quality control issues with the chinos.

13. raddoc

raddoc Well-Known Member

Massive quality control ? I have multiple pairs of their denim and a pair of chinos and they are spot on with regard to measurements.

Before Gustin I was wearing "high end " Japanese denim for years , and still am, mainly flathead and samurai....try measuring those for consistency....way off

Also wore dior 19 cm mij for a while...more consistent than the small Japanese brands but not perfect.

14. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

Plus one

15. RohitSingh

RohitSingh Well-Known Member

My first Gustin #151 Heavy BlackXCoal, finally!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. proclus

proclus New Member

If an inch and a half discrepancy isn't a pretty big quality control problem, I don't know what would be. As I pointed out, there's only a half an inch of difference between the straight and the slim fit in those dimensions, and an inch and a half is easily enough to go from a proper fit to ridiculous and unwearable.

I'm aware that many of the premium Japanese brands have a reputation for inconsistency in their dimensions, and it's one of the major drawbacks of buying them. I never encountered anything close to an inch and a half deviation in the thigh measurement of the Samurai or Momotaro jeans I bought, but maybe I was just lucky, as you apparently have been with Gustin.

17. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Well-Known Member

I'm comparing to Levi's and Nautica. My Gustin large is actually tighter across the shoulders than my mediums in those brands. Wearing the Gustin in large I can't imagine that I could even get a medium on.

18. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Gustin shirts are together across the chest than a J Crew slim IMO. I think it comes from the aggressive arm scoops. They are pretty high and tight to your armpit

19. JasonYeckel

JasonYeckel Senior member

First help out the sample data over at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...bFS9tVFmzUU9XQfCEfBDIv7SHI/edit#gid=263116964 when you get the Gustins in and it would help a lot of customers and futures ones in terms of fabric tendencies.

The returns issues is a lack of transparency from Gustin. They need an official return/defect policy / terms & conditions to sure up expectations in the process. Also if anything goes wrong mildly to get a mass email to everyone that backed that there was a potential issue and how they were going to handle it ex(offer up choices)

Few past examples
    • The naturals that shipped with leather patches that when washed will bleed into the white fabric.
    • The lack of typical gustin accoutrements like the bartack.
    • The 23oz 26oz runs were known to run small in just the waist even though they sew up a test pair *shrugs*.
    • No special edition hemp jeans were hand signed? no real word on this just speculation?

Seems like if mass emails were sent out with options a lot less hullabaloo, and with term and conditions ironed out to what you should expect in terms of tolerances and accoutrements from each item and if you are in the right or wrong of expectations.

O and i recently picked up a second hand Gustin olive bag to replace the one that never was hehe. So update to my review soon!

1 person likes this.
  20. barrelntrigger

Just got the key ring today! Love this little guy! Thick leather to boot! Now I won't lose my car key that easily. On top of the quality leather goods, I totes won that during their key ring giveaway on facebook! The savings I got, I put it towards the 23oz. beast! Also, around the same time, I coped a pair of IH634S 21 oz. I think I'm good on denim for years to come!