1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Jdub6

Jdub6 Senior member

Anybody have the opportunity to compare (quality wise) Gustin shirts to those such as J crew? Just curious of course with their similar offerings (e.g., chambray, etc.) and competitive prices. I've only seen posts on sizing. J crew's "tall" option certainly makes sense. Thanks.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. brentm

brentm Active Member

My jeans measure a spot on 37 and I ordered the 36 slim in the Heavy Americans. I was nervous about fit, but these things fit darn near perfect.

3. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior member

With the one inch stretch, it will likely be spot on for you.

3 pair Gustin, and all perfect fit, from The Natural, to the 18 ounce Super Heavy. All the same size.

4. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior member

I have been reading a lot on the internet about denim the past two months and it is confusing. There seems to be an almost cult-like following of denim rules, including no washing and all sorts of activities to fade them. Others wear the same pair, over and over and over.

What is so wrong about washing well made jeans? Why not rotate jeans, allowing them to last longer? I've got 3 Gustins and 2 more backed, so it is not like I am going to wear the same pair incessantly.

Do these well made jeans fall apart as quickly as the cheap ones?

What will well made jeans look like that are washed twice a month?

Lots of websites and even more blogs devoted to denim but the replies are confusing.

thanks!

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  5. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not overly concerned about the waist, it would be more a need for a decently high rise, which seems to be the case. I mean, I have pair of 501s that must be defects, because I'm pretty sure they were under 36 inches when I bought them, and were pretty uncomfortable. I washed those and ended up with a 34.5 waist, which I could button up, but were incredibly uncomfortable, the rise shrunk substantially too.

Basically, if they stretch the 1 to 1.5 inches which is apparently the norm, then I'm good. Seems like there's quite a few of us who wear 36's in all of our jeans and aren't sure which way to go. 38 just seems like it would be way to big, and stretch to a 40 waist, let alone the thigh and leg area.

6. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

It seems like the no-wash thing is much less concerned about wearing down the fabric, and more concerned with creating some sort of look. It's more of an aesthetic thing for those who don't wash their jeans for a long period of time. The thought around it is that the pants would take on a bunch of creases on the top block, honeycombs behind the knee, and this would be heightened if you don't wash them in the middle of trying to wear in these areas. Well made jeans should not fall apart as quickly as a cheap pair. If you wash these, they will fade quicker than some of the other raw denim, like something from the GAP, which uses a different process to die their jeans, can't recall the specifics. I don't own a pair so I can't speak to how much they'll fade, but I can't imagine that excessive.

7. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Washed denim lasts longer.

2 people like this.
  8. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior member

Ojaw,

If you count on that single inch of give, especially if you do the "damp wear", you will get that inch. If you get that full inch, your measurements sound correct.

I found the damp wear to be useful on the Okayama and the Super Heavy. It was only for an afternoon, and it wasn't terribly wet (or terribly uncomfortable) but it did give me the feel of "custom fit."

You seem like you have the right choice in measurement.

9. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Hey Oldguy, i think you were referring to someone else, I haven't posted any questions about sizing.

10. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior member

Rene, fixed edit. :)

This is how I remember the childhood of the '70's as kids were constantly washing their jeans to get them to look faded as they came very dark from the stores. I remember kids soaking them in hot water, too! No rubbing of stones or sand paper, just lots of washings.

I do very much like the pattern fading as unique, but I also like the nice, soft lighter blue that comes from dark denim. It may not have the pronounced wrinkle marks of fading that the non-washing produces, but it still looks nice.

Like good shoes, I on going to rotate the Gustin jeans, and am hoping that the Zimbabwe's have a 'dressier' look to them. Thanks, Rene, I appreciate the response.

11. BernieIsMyCat

BernieIsMyCat Senior member

I have a Gustin Japan Oxford in Medium, and a J Crew Oxford shirt in Medium Slim Fit. The fits are similar; the main difference is that the Gustin shirt is a bit tighter in the neck and upper chest, and the side scoop is higher. The Gustin fabric looks more substantial and higher quality than J Crew's.

12. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

You're description sounds like we were kids growing up in different towns together. :lol:

I wash all mine as soon as I get them to remove starch and get any initial shrinkage out of the inseam. I think it would be cool to have some "sick fades", but I'm buying these because I like button flies, dark denim, and buying my clothes new instead of worn or "distressed". I do wash them inside-out, but otherwise nothing special. If they seem dirty, I toss them in the washer again for a cold wash. Some people just want the fades that come from no washes. That is the great thing, you can do whatever you want.

I am probably going to try and wash the Gustin 23oz as little as possible, just to see how they turn out.

13. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

Another thing to keep in mind for anyone who wants to wash their jeans frequently and minimize fade, try woolite dark. I use that exclusively with jeans and see less fading than with other detergents.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jdub6

Jdub6 Senior member

Thanks. I'm one of those torn between medium and large I suppose with my measurements on the lanky side of 6' @ 160. I'm just going with the L and hoping the scoops and arm holes are somewhat acceptable. I did find some favorable reviews between J crew and Gustin. Even some of the Levi's look pretty good I suppose.

On a another note considering our similar love of denim, what are you guys rockin for shorts? I think my favorite shorts are a pair of AE cargos worn for years and look thrashed (paint, glew, etc.). Is it me, or is it a real pain to find decent cargos or shorts in general? Gustin should make some righteous cargos.

15. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

You won't get much love for shorts on SF. That being said, try the epaulet thread.

16. Jdub6

Jdub6 Senior member

Thanks:) What the hell do guys wear when doing hot ass yardwork like mowing? F*)! that, jeans are way too hot in Ky humidity lol.

17. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

Ever try Walmart, Target, Burlington Coat Factory?

18. Jdub6

Jdub6 Senior member

Pssft, I'm like way over walmart cause I'm like on styleforum and like...shorts, yeah right, I can't cuff my jeans and show my selvedge and true individuality like evidenced by my selvedge.

19. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

If you are doing yard work in the heat then you really shouldn't be concerned about style. Shorts are about utility and not style so it wouldn't matter what brand you use, you won't look good.

20. Jdub6

Jdub6 Senior member

Hey, I'm just poking fun at the crazies around here doing ANYthing in summer heat and not washing their jeans for months..lol just ewww from a public health perspective. No reason shorts and style are at odds with each other IMHO.