1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. joshgustin

joshgustin Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hey Styleforum,

After lurking around here for far too long, we at Gustin (www.weargustin.com) have decided to become an official affiliate.

Our goal with Gustin is to perfect classic American garments and deliver them at radical prices.

We're approaching things a bit differently than most brands. We make only what you want and nothing more by using crowdsourcing as the mechanism to perfectly line up supply and demand. This creates a zero waste cycle and we return the savings to you. Simple example: our SF-made selvedge denim that used to sit on boutique shelves for $205 now starts at $81.

We got our start 8 years ago in denim by teaching ourselves how to make the perfect pair of jeans and fell in love with the craft - just not the model most companies operate in. We still make everything in San Francisco, use the best materials and absolutely love what we're doing here.

Stephen and I will both be around here quite a bit to answer questions and help out in any way we can. Feel free to email us directly as well (our first names at weargustin.com), or swing by our shop in SF and say hi.

Thanks,

Josh Gustin

www.weargustin.com

2. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Congrats on become an affiliate! Currently trying to break in 29 slims of 1776 and heavy American ya shipped out.

3. joshgustin

Thanks for trying us out and let me know how those are wearing in for you.

4. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Welcome! I just picked up (supported?) one of the cobalt check flannels, for those numerous occasions when I want to look like a frail, beardless urban lumberjack. :)

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Welcome! I have some Postal Blues in the slim cut that I just started breaking in.

Given the manufacturing model that you employ is there any opportunity to be able to offer different lengths?

I will be out in SF next week, any chance I could swing by on Monday?

6. gustin

gustin Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

Different lengths will come at some point in time - right now it's too difficult to have that many SKUs / options to track through production.

We'd love to have you swing by on monday - email me stephen at our website, and we'll set it up.

7. joshgustin

Ha! It's a good look every now and then. Thanks for checking us out. That's a great fabric. Very soft hand and a great weight. We're finding a lot of nice flannels from Japanese mills right now.

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Awesome! Will do.

Even if you could offer a post production chain stitch hem for a fee I think it would be great. I know I would pay for it for them to come complete and closer to size.

9. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

Hey Gustin!

Do you guys have any interest in coming out with a tapered or carrot fit? I know that the biggest complaint I have come across in reading the other thread and various internet messages is that the legs are too large. In fact I pledged for a pair of your jeans but have since experienced terrible buyer's remorse. Have been trying and trying to work out canceling somehow with the customer service but you guys really must be backed up because e-mails don't get answered for days at a time.

In any event, I had a lot of fun with the idea. Would be pretty great if there was a fit for everyone.

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I think the slim fit has a nice taper to it

11. joshgustin

Apologies that you didn't get a response to your support email. We will look for it and get back to you. We're definitely busy but no excuses for not responding faster.

I'm guessing you're looking for something even slimmer than our current slim fit? We might consider a skinny fit soon, but want to make sure we really nail it. We'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

Josh

12. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

Hi Josh,

I think you meant to respond to me, although you quoted Ryden.
    I actually want something slimmer in the leg yet more relaxed in the top block and thigh. My favorite fit style is the Levi's 508. And I think that type of fit is actually very popular. I suspect that if you guys haven't come out with a cut like that yet it must be because you think it's a fad or not classic enough?

I guess if that's not the case, I think it would be a great idea to run a campaign and see how many people are interested in such a fit. (After all, the "weird guy" fit has been such an amazing success in this industry).

Thanks,
    Nareg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  13. SparhawkJC

SparhawkJC Well-Known Member

Grats on becoming an official affiliate, you guys have made some impressive progress since Kickstarter!

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Welcome Josh & Co.!

I've had the pleasure of spending time with the GUSTIN team at their studio and am really excited about what they're cooking up here in San Francisco. I also love my naturals I picked up a few months ago. I had the legs tapered from the knee down. I find the higher-rise makes these perfect work jeans that I can tuck a shirt into and not look slouchy. You can't beat this for $81.

I'm looking forward to the meet-up. Thanks for hosting!

Horrible, horrible photo but great jeans.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Welcome to Styleforum, guys. Always nice to see some innovators.

Cheers,

Fok.

17. red81

red81 Senior member

one more vote for chainstitch option.

(yes i realize i can ship them out to others, but that's a big hassle for me)

18. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

More tonal stitching options would be nice.

I wanted to buy the black/indigo pair but the bright orange stitching was a dealbreaker.

1 person likes this.
  19. chimaki

chimaki Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just wondering if you've had any feedback or thought about any possible changes to fits on any of the products? Figured this thread could be a good spot for discourse with (sometimes) informed consumers. I'm a fan of the products, good quality/$ ratio. I do have a couple general questions and possible suggestions. I think maybe carrying stock in both denim fits in one of your more standard fabrics and weights could solve a ton of issues with consumers and even lead to a greater percentage of repeat buyers. If someone could get a fit idea in 2-3 days rather than months, they'd definitely be more apt to be a repeat customer, and in a shorter time frame. Exchanges for sizing only on this one "trial" pair would be huge.

Also, have you gotten any feedback on the OCBDs to the point you've considered any changes? Fabrics are great, but I hate the buttons. They seem to be miraculously wafer thin, and I've broken 2 buttons on one and 1 on another shirt. Length is certainly on the shorter end, making tucking in on low rise chinos and such fairly difficult as well. I also believe carrying a small amount of stock in something like a light blue OCBD would do wonders for every other shirt as well.

All this being said, keep up the good work, product is a great value and hopefully works out well for you guys while helping drive some positive change to the industry.

20. joshgustin

Appreciate your thoughts on the product and model.

On fits, we much prefer to keep our existing fit blocks unchanged while adding new variations based on feedback. For example, some people have asked for a skinnier cut than our slim fit on the denim side. Since we now have a lot of people who like our existing slim, we're more likely to add a skinny cut to the line. Same goes for our shirting. A longer version is a great thought, so we'll be more likely to add a long version as opposed to changing our current fit around. Hope this makes sense to you.

Holding inventory is certainly something we try to avoid as it leads to a lot of inefficiency that we think drives up costs. We're working on a few ideas around this so keep watching.

We haven't received button feedback like yours yet but we'll definitely keep an eye out for it. We looked around for a while for great mother of pearl buttons so we want them to last. Shoot me a note if you need a few spares. There are a few inside the front placket, but I'm happy to send you some extras.

Josh