• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Appreciation Thread

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start a new thread for this as the other thread is closed.

I ended up returning my size 32" #8 CXL belt and saw that it was dropping again, but to my dismay it was $12 more expensive than when I had last ordered it. Bummer. Looking forward to getting it in a smaller size though.

In the meantime, have not really joined any campaigns besides the belt. The new long sleeve tees look cool in the saddleback and oxblood, but not sure if I need more tees and not too thrilled about the blend. It is probably similar to the American Apparel poly blend.

TheRiblet

Reaction score
I've purchased 3 pairs of Gustin jeans and still haven't gotten the size right. I've gone to two local tailors and they did not want to taper them from the inside leg seam. They pretty much refused to do it. I live in a small town on a barrier island in Florida, so I doubt the tailors see a lot of people bringing jeans in. I've also asked them to hem a pair while keeping the original hem and they butchered the hell out of them. I won't be doing that again. I guess I will look into options in Orlando or Tampa and see if anyone there can help me out. I don't really want to keep buying jeans that don't fit. Next time I buy from Gustin, I'm going to buy a couple sizes and try to return the ones that don't work.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've purchased 3 pairs of Gustin jeans and still haven't gotten the size right. I've gone to two local tailors and they did not want to taper them from the inside leg seam. They pretty much refused to do it. I live in a small town on a barrier island in Florida, so I doubt the tailors see a lot of people bringing jeans in. I've also asked them to hem a pair while keeping the original hem and they butchered the hell out of them. I won't be doing that again. I guess I will look into options in Orlando or Tampa and see if anyone there can help me out. I don't really want to keep buying jeans that don't fit. Next time I buy from Gustin, I'm going to buy a couple sizes and try to return the ones that don't work.
That's probably a good idea to try different sizes. It's a shame the seamstreses in your area can't do these simple alterations.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Gustinites

Why'd the other thread close??

I was an early backer but gave up after not getting my denim/chinos size correct in a few tries. I did however back other items and have been pretty happy with them.

Anyone in Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn who wears a 33 in chinos that would let me try them on? I know, crazy request, but there's a sweet indigo pocket-square made in Ireland by pocket-square artisan in it for you.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Gustinites

Why'd the other thread close??

I was an early backer but gave up after not getting my denim/chinos size correct in a few tries. I did however back other items and have been pretty happy with them.

Anyone in Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn who wears a 33 in chinos that would let me try them on? I know, crazy request, but there's a sweet indigo pocket-square made in Ireland by pocket-square artisan in it for you.

I think they closed because they are no longer an affiliate. So close in the size you're looking for.

I only have a pair of 33s in this, but only because they recommended to size up. All my other chinos are 32.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh that makes sense. Ok.

They specified to size up in that particular model?

Do you take same size in both denim and chino?

Do you have both slim and reg and if so how much a difference is there?

Thanks!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh that makes sense. Ok.

They specified to size up in that particular model?

Do you take same size in both denim and chino?

Do you have both slim and reg and if so how much a difference is there?

Thanks!
Yes to size up in that particular model. I only have straight, because of my thighs, but I get my Gustin stuff tapered from the knee down.

I do take the same size in denim and chino, 32 straight.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes to size up in that particular model. I only have straight, because of my thighs, but I get my Gustin stuff tapered from the knee down.

I do take the same size in denim and chino, 32 straight.

Thighs are my issue as well, good call on getting taper.
Thanks for your help!

MT1982

Reaction score
Disappointed they changed their shirting sizes around. Their tall smalls fit me well (I'd get the body length shortened 1.5", but rest was spot on). Now none of the new sizes will fit the way I want so looks like I won't be ordering shirts from them any longer. I'll still get their pants/jeans though.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disappointed they changed their shirting sizes around. Their tall smalls fit me well (I'd get the body length shortened 1.5", but rest was spot on). Now none of the new sizes will fit the way I want so looks like I won't be ordering shirts from them any longer. I'll still get their pants/jeans though.

Haven't taken the plunge on a new shirt yet since they made the change.

jamie411

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the sizing on the new shirts seem strange? A medium only has a 42.5” chest but has an 18.5” shoulder? 44” chest and 18” shoulder would be more in line with other brands. Definite deal breaker, I’d have to size up to Large to accommodate my 40” chest, but then I’d be swimming in it in terms of neck, sleeve, and overall length. Too bad because some of their offerings look intriguing (monster nep flannel, for example). Another deal breaker are the wimpy thin mother of pearl buttons. They’re still the part of my oxfords that I like the least.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never was able to get the sizing right in the shirts before they made the switch. Now, it might be even tougher of a sell. I'm sure they did it to simplify the manufacturing process and perhaps eliminate some of the myriad problems they had with returns...

TheRiblet

Reaction score
I have found that Gustin uses quality fabrics for their clothes, belts, etc but unless you have tailor to make them fit right, at a reasonable price, and you are willing to wait 2+ months for the clothes then it isn't a great deal. Measuring clothes, as they suggest, depends largely on how flexible the material is. It seems like measuring this way is somewhat acccurate but, in my opinion, their jeans run big, t-shirts run big, and shirts run very small. There seems to be a large discrepancy between most clothes and Gustin

NemHoward

Reaction score
Received my Gustin Zimbabwe slim 35 and should have gotten the 34. Based on their sizing chart, the 35 should have been perfect for me. In reality, their 35 fits a touch loose in the waist, but wearable. I prefer to stretch new jeans rather than have them "fit" out of the box since they'll undoubtedly give a little more with wear. I had the inseam shortened from 37" to 34" which makes them perfect.

Overall, fabric and attention to detail is fantastic for the price. I've backed two more selvedge models (in Slim 34 this time) and look forward to their arrival.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like measuring this way is somewhat acccurate but, in my opinion, their jeans run big, t-shirts run big, and shirts run very small. There seems to be a large discrepancy between most clothes and Gustin
I'm not sure what you are comparing to but I feel like their bottoms are not vanity sized. I do have to buy bigger in their tops. I am usually a small in most mall brands and I buy most of my tops in medium from them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads