• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Appreciation Thread

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Loomstate jeans? I sized up 1 size for the Cone Unsanforized, even though Gustin recommended sizing up 3 sizes, and they were really tight at first. The break-in was rough but now I probably wear them more than any other pair of jeans I have. With the exception of it being tough to get much in the pockets, they fit great. I was thinking about sizing up two sizes for the Loomstate
I have a pair listed at 37 but measured closer to 36. I wear a 33/34 in Gustin depending on my weight gain. The loomstate is my favorite pair of denim and picked up a second pair. Shrink to fit is perfect for these.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was planning to pick-up a new pair of black jeans this winter, but that selvedge sateen released this morning is intriguing.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that fabric is great but that arm pocket is hideous.

I've been staring at it all morning.
Although I'd vastly prefer it without, the sleeve pocket when zoomed in seems small, I'm guessing irl it'll be less noticeable.
The fabric is so cool I may not be able to resist at that price point...

andy b.

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of their CPO shirts? Does the arm pocket look easy to remove?
I have one of the grey wool CPO shirts. I don't have it with me, but if I recall the pocket is just sewn on. It isn't cut into the sleeve in any manner. I haven't tried to remove it.

But I have a few Gustin shirts in wool and heavy flannel that came with two chest pockets. I can't stand how the two pockets look so I always remove the right side pocket. You have to take your time and only cut the thread, not the shirt. After wearing the shirts two or three times you can't even tell a second pocket was ever there.

Pluripotent

Reaction score
I've been staring at it all morning.
Although I'd vastly prefer it without, the sleeve pocket when zoomed in seems small, I'm guessing irl it'll be less noticeable.
The fabric is so cool I may not be able to resist at that price point...
I already backed it.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am new to Gustin. I discovered the olive green selvedge and the persimmon dyed denim after the initial offerings had ended. I received notice that they're back so I ordered both #159 & #139. My question is does anyone have experience with these fabrics? I noticed that the fit guide has the same measurements for every jean or pants that they sell. The way I understand their operation is that they have the fabrics and then they make the jeans (or pants) to these measurements. So why is there such a disparity on people's experiences? I ordered the olive selvedge in 38 straight which matches my ideal measurements, I ordered the persimmons in 40 straight since they recommended to size up one size. Hoping for the best.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am new to Gustin. I discovered the olive green selvedge and the persimmon dyed denim after the initial offerings had ended. I received notice that they're back so I ordered both #159 & #139. My question is does anyone have experience with these fabrics? I noticed that the fit guide has the same measurements for every jean or pants that they sell. The way I understand their operation is that they have the fabrics and then they make the jeans (or pants) to these measurements. So why is there such a disparity on people's experiences? I ordered the olive selvedge in 38 straight which matches my ideal measurements, I ordered the persimmons in 40 straight since they recommended to size up one size. Hoping for the best.
I have the olive and the organic brown — which seems to be a close brother of the organic persimmon.
I ordered the olive in a size 35 straight, and sized up to size 36 straight on the organic brown. They fit about the same.

From what I can understand, the “tightness” of the different weaves impacts their shrinkage (and stretching). I’ve ordered up (size 36) on the tight heavy weaves and it’s worked for me.

Krown

Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking of backing a Gustin oxford shirt, what sort of fit are these? I prefer a high armhole, are these the case?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking of backing a Gustin oxford shirt, what sort of fit are these? I prefer a high armhole, are these the case?
In my opinion, they do have a high armhole compared to the regular fits for brands like Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren. It's not a super slim fit though.

Krown

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, what about the hightop sneakers? I am usually US8 in dress shoes and US in sport shoes like Adidas etc.

Are Gistin sneakers sized like dress shoes? are they true to size?

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, what about the hightop sneakers? I am usually US8 in dress shoes and US in sport shoes like Adidas etc.

I have several pairs of Gustin low top sneakers. I wear US7 in Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue dress shoes. I wear US7.5 in most New Balance sneakers (990v5, 990v4, 327, 574, 880, etc). My Gustin low tops are size 7. I would say they fit looser than my dress shoes and roomier than most of my sneakers. Overall, I like the quality of the Gustin sneakers.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have several pairs of Gustin low top sneakers. I wear US7 in Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue dress shoes. I wear US7.5 in most New Balance sneakers (990v5, 990v4, 327, 574, 880, etc). My Gustin low tops are size 7. I would say they fit looser than my dress shoes and roomier than most of my sneakers. Overall, I like the quality of the Gustin sneakers.
I agree with this on the low top sneakers. My dress shoes are usually around a US 9 and ordered Gustin sneakers in the same size and they are slightly looser than that. My Nikes and New Balances are usually U.S. size 9.5 and I definitely don't recommend sizing the same as your usual sneaker size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics