• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Appreciation Thread

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get the twill joggers? Are the hips narrow for anyone else? My huge legs are a curse for clothing purchases.

I totally missed the email that they shipped. Should be taking receipt today.
I have been a supporter for gustin from awhile. Some of the stuff I have
2x USA Heather Long Sleeve T-Shirt 2PK (Gunmetal, Cypress)
1x Heather Grey Wool Field Jacket
4x Pairs of Japanese Line Socks
1x Chromexcel Wallet
1x Twisted Yarn Hoodie
4x USA Heather Short Sleeve shirt

Who else has absolutely horrible luck with anything fitting that is a top this year? They clearly changed the measurements, have a different factory sewing or something. I've ordered a 2x tee shirt pack once, and then two single shirts all in medium. None of this fit, and barely got any acknowledgement anything changed. Ordered a large and it fit but is still ever so slightly smaller than mediums from 2019.

Anyways now I ordered a waffle crewneck and it completely doesn't fit at all. The website has large at 21.875" flat and measured across. These measure at roughly 19" inches. Its not even close to fitting. I did more of my own research and found that this particular item tends to run small.. but it wasn't included on the more recent listings of anything they sell thats "waffleweave". Just a big disappointment. Its almost awkward to ask for another return in the same email chain of something else I already had. The worst part you get almost no acknowledgement that their model sucks, and the stuff changed.

Lastly... some people suspected the factory has changed. I'm not sure if thats the case but the material and sizing definitely has. At least imo the newer heather shirts I've had in my hands before returning were not as stretchy, and felt denser.

As far as tops go I backed the Dark Indigo Shawl Collar Sweatshirt and the Herringbone Plaid flannel, my first in the new shirt cut, this year and have not noticed any change in size. I went with my usual medium.

If they don't match the specs they specified I defintely would bring up returning it with no qualms.

I'm not sure if there was a factory change, but I think my ripstop chinoes came from a different factoryin the Bay area compared to the other stuff I have, which I think were all made in Los Angeles.

TheRiblet

Reaction score
Anyone else get the twill joggers? Are the hips narrow for anyone else? My huge legs are a curse for clothing purchases.

I backed these in 2017. I never wear them. They look more like pajama bottoms than activewear.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I backed these in 2017. I never wear them. They look more like pajama bottoms than activewear.
Do you feel this way about twill joggers in general or specifically the Gustin ones?

I have ones from Banana Republic, Uniqlo, and Mack Weldon in non-activewear material and feel they are great for work from home or to run out to the store to grab something quickly.

I never bought them intending to wear them for sport.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I agree, my last order of T-shirt fit way smaller than previous orders. Super bummed on these joggers. I was planning wearing them around the house, but I am not sure they will be comfortable. There was no hip measurement on the listing, maybe they will swap for a XXL.

TheRiblet

Reaction score
I agree, my last order of T-shirt fit way smaller than previous orders. Super bummed on these joggers. I was planning wearing them around the house, but I am not sure they will be comfortable. There was no hip measurement on the listing, maybe they will swap for a XXL.

They look like pajama bottoms but not nearly as comfortable. I don’t own any other twill joggers but the sweatpants I own can do everything these can and more with more comfort.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look like pajama bottoms but not nearly as comfortable. I don’t own any other twill joggers but the sweatpants I own can do everything these can and more with more comfort.
I guess they could look like pajama bottoms to some. I don't think they are supposed to take the place of sweatpants. IMO, sweatpants are inherently sporty, and while these have a sporty origination, the fact they are made from twill material make them a little "dressier," because of the cloth they are made from, so they are good medium between chinos and sweatpants.

Not part of the discussion above, but here are the ones I received yesterday. Did not have any issues with these being too small, but they might be too similar to my Mack Weldon ones. These could be a little shorter though as I am getting pooling near my ankles.

David27

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just backed size 35 slim jeans from Gustin, that's gonna be my first pair of jeans ever. Usually I wear chinos, fe I'm 34×32 in Banana republic mason fit and they fit me perfect. Maybe someone here had experience with both of these and can give me advice about sizing?
I did check their guide, waist, front rise and hip are ok, but I'm worried about butt space.

Last edited:

jam3s121

Reaction score
I want to back the midnight plaid button up campaign. Can anyone comment on how these fit? I've had such bad luck with some of gustins stuff that I dont trust the charts.

I wear medium in J Crew / Lands End / Uniqlo button ups. The ones that fit me the best are about 22.25-22.5 in chest measurement. Should I get a large in Gustin? I have a plaid shirt from gustin thats a medium that measures like 20.5 for instance that doesn't fit, and I've ordered a large before that like a dress (was like 32 long). I think they have gone through multiple iterations of fits and theres no way to really tell what you had from way back. I got the ones I have from ebay.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
I have been a supporter for gustin from awhile. Some of the stuff I have
2x USA Heather Long Sleeve T-Shirt 2PK (Gunmetal, Cypress)
1x Heather Grey Wool Field Jacket
4x Pairs of Japanese Line Socks
1x Chromexcel Wallet
1x Twisted Yarn Hoodie
4x USA Heather Short Sleeve shirt

Who else has absolutely horrible luck with anything fitting that is a top this year? They clearly changed the measurements, have a different factory sewing or something. I've ordered a 2x tee shirt pack once, and then two single shirts all in medium. None of this fit, and barely got any acknowledgement anything changed. Ordered a large and it fit but is still ever so slightly smaller than mediums from 2019.

Anyways now I ordered a waffle crewneck and it completely doesn't fit at all. The website has large at 21.875" flat and measured across. These measure at roughly 19" inches. Its not even close to fitting. I did more of my own research and found that this particular item tends to run small.. but it wasn't included on the more recent listings of anything they sell thats "waffleweave". Just a big disappointment. Its almost awkward to ask for another return in the same email chain of something else I already had. The worst part you get almost no acknowledgement that their model sucks, and the stuff changed.

Lastly... some people suspected the factory has changed. I'm not sure if thats the case but the material and sizing definitely has. At least imo the newer heather shirts I've had in my hands before returning were not as stretchy, and felt denser.
I've returned 2 jackets and had 1 work shirt tailored so much that I just skip Gustin tops. It's as if their tops are for tall, skinny people.

jam3s121

Reaction score
Anyone know the measurements on twisted yarn zip ups. I have like $70 in credit and I'm afraid to buy anything at this point because it never fits. I have one from last year and the chest measurements dont match the listing at all. I think just sizing up will work if its consistent with how last years fit..

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the measurements on twisted yarn zip ups. I have like $70 in credit and I'm afraid to buy anything at this point because it never fits. I have one from last year and the chest measurements dont match the listing at all. I think just sizing up will work if its consistent with how last years fit..
I don't have one, but I would just check with Gustin to see what they advise on fit.

Was returning the last one not an option?

jam3s121

Reaction score
I don't have one, but I would just check with Gustin to see what they advise on fit.

Was returning the last one not an option?

Yeah, I'm going to check. I'm just being overly cautious. I have a medium and its just a little to snug (still fits). Common sense is to order a large.. but ordering from gustin is not common sense. I've sized up to find the items tagged larger and fit exactly the same or even smaller from stuff made within different campaigns. I really just want to get rid of this credit at this point. I did really like the zip up I had its just snug.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First pair of Gustin jeans in 4 years arrived yesterday. Gotta say, the straight fit from this brand is still my all-time favorite. In spite of the name, I find them fairly slim in the top block. Straight down at the knees to fit over any boots I might wear and yet not look like flairs. No silly selvedge flair around the coin pocket. Solid construction and I love the rear pocket lining reinforcements! Not so low as to worry about plumbers crack, though I do wish they were an inch higher for tucking a shirt into if I ever wanted to.

Last edited:

Aves

Reaction score
I'm semi-new to the brand, and have ordered mostly stock items. I have bought several t-shirts so far. I ordered several XL heather shirts in May-June and these all fit great, but then I bought some in July-August that were much smaller and more 'fitted' that I had to return for an XXL size. The American cotton black t-shirts fit much more relaxed and I have ordered 6 of them so far. I haven't ordered any pants yet because I'm just not sure of their sizing. Also I've ordered several pair of their sweatshorts, which I really like, but their size chart would recommend I wear an XL, but I fit better in a M/L. Some of these were also listed as 100% cotton but were 90%C/10%P or vice versa, no big deal, but it would be nice to know for sure for shrinkage purposes.

TheRiblet

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Loomstate jeans? I sized up 1 size for the Cone Unsanforized, even though Gustin recommended sizing up 3 sizes, and they were really tight at first. The break-in was rough but now I probably wear them more than any other pair of jeans I have. With the exception of it being tough to get much in the pockets, they fit great. I was thinking about sizing up two sizes for the Loomstate

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads