• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Appreciation Thread

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a product called moleskin, just for this purpose. Quite a few shoe guys swear by it. I will chime in, I'm a shoe guy, and the proper size shoe won't cause that issue. It's hard to get the right size on an internet purchase, unless one has experience with the brand and last the shoe/boot was made on. I think size not right in OP's case.

Oh, I know moleskin. Summer Encampment with the Civil Air Patrol, a week of nothing but combat boots traipsing through the woods as a teenager... I'm just a little suprised at the necessity of the break in; it's been ages since I've had to break in shoes. I mean, I could try to break in a pair of shoes I will only wear maybe once every couple months (I just don't do white shoes very often) and fuss with mole skin, etc, or just go with one of my other 9 pairs of shoes without that. Keep in mind that I'm also working with a few recent surgeries, so putting on socks is difficult for me at the moment, nevermind trying to apply mole skin or big bandaids, etc. This quarantine stuff has been great for recovery. :D

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I know moleskin. Summer Encampment with the Civil Air Patrol, a week of nothing but combat boots traipsing through the woods as a teenager... I'm just a little suprised at the necessity of the break in; it's been ages since I've had to break in shoes. I mean, I could try to break in a pair of shoes I will only wear maybe once every couple months (I just don't do white shoes very often) and fuss with mole skin, etc, or just go with one of my other 9 pairs of shoes without that. Keep in mind that I'm also working with a few recent surgeries, so putting on socks is difficult for me at the moment, nevermind trying to apply mole skin or big bandaids, etc. This quarantine stuff has been great for recovery. :D
Sorry to hear about surgeries, but glad you are recovering. Civil Air Patrol, haven't heard of that in YEARS. Some friends of mine in Wisconsin were really into it.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
The "forty year old trying to look twenty" comment was a bit much. I have this waffle zip up hoodie I purchased from them and every time I wear it I think I look like a dad trying way to hard to look young. It's rather comfortable, but I refuse to wear it outside the house.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "forty year old trying to look twenty" comment was a bit much. I have this waffle zip up hoodie I purchased from them and every time I wear it I think I look like a dad trying way to hard to look young. It's rather comfortable, but I refuse to wear it outside the house.

I call that my Techbro costume... It worked when I was shopping for a new car back in March.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest acquisition that I received a few weeks ago, but probably won't be wearing for a few months.

This is the first time I am trying the new fit. I went with my usual size of medium and it feels a bit slimmer than their old classic style.

I think it needs to be washed a few times to determine if it's going to end up too small post wash.

View media item 2295666
View media item 2295667

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda intrigued at the 2 chambray 5-pockets (rainbow nep & black nep), but dang I wish they were in the chino fit.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda intrigued at the 2 chambray 5-pockets (rainbow nep & black nep), but dang I wish they were in the chino fit.
I would have been more inclined if they were chino style too. I've got too much 5-pocket from Gustin. Currently sitting and wearing 5-pocket selvedge corduroy bedfords.

I backed the rainbow nep shorts.

View media item 2293432

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m in the market for some affordable black straight jeans that will fit over the engineer boots I’m getting made up.

Anyone have experience with #455 Jet x Jet?

I bought the Cone version four years ago and was a bit disappointed in the way the faded (quickly and with weird verticals streaks that I thought was a laundry mishap at first).

Or is there another brand I should look at? I guess Gustin is my go to because I’m confident in my sizing, but Bravestar looks interesting.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
I'm kind of fascinated by the Indigo Selvege Jacquard they've got going now... But it would be my first Gustin purchase. I'm a little unsure of the fit. Clearly I'd go with the Straight but even that seems like it might be a little too slim cut for my tastes. The pictures on the site do not do them any favors; the models look incredibly scrawny. I'm lean but I squat and deadlift so my hips and thighs are a bit thicker than average. Can anyone tell me whether these jeans are likely to work for me?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of fascinated by the Indigo Selvege Jacquard they've got going now... But it would be my first Gustin purchase. I'm a little unsure of the fit. Clearly I'd go with the Straight but even that seems like it might be a little too slim cut for my tastes. The pictures on the site do not do them any favors; the models look incredibly scrawny. I'm lean but I squat and deadlift so my hips and thighs are a bit thicker than average. Can anyone tell me whether these jeans are likely to work for me?

Define “a bit thicker than average”...

I’m 6’ and 185 (fairly lean with 24” thighs) and the 34 straight works fine for me.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Define “a bit thicker than average”...

I’m 6’ and 185 (fairly lean with 24” thighs) and the 34 straight works fine for me.

Currently 5' 7" 150lb 22" thighs 38" hips but I'v lost a lot of size due to being on a cut for 10 weeks while my gym was closed (wasn't a great idea lol).

I know measurements should work fine I guess I'm just curious to see what the Straight cut looks like on non-stick figure people. Not a fan of the "skinny jeans" look.

Thanks for the response!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently 5' 7" 150lb 22" thighs 38" hips but I'v lost a lot of size due to being on a cut for 10 weeks while my gym was closed (wasn't a great idea lol).

I know measurements should work fine I guess I'm just curious to see what the Straight cut looks like on non-stick figure people. Not a fan of the "skinny jeans" look.

Thanks for the response!

Also intrigued by the indigo jacquard, but not interested in more 5-pocket.

I'm around your weight, but shorter, 5'5". Probably added an extra 5 COVID lbs, but here's a pair of straight jeans in 32 that I had tapered knee down.

Have not taken a measurement of my thighs, but I wouldn't call myself skinny.

View media item 2295687
The top is the Gustin shawl collar sweatshirt. Wish the collar was bigger.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Thanks Churchill W. That fit looks like what I'm going for

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I'm a big guy. 5'11" 220 and lift weights daily and the Gustin straight fits me just fine. Don't lie to yourself about the waist with Gustin. The measurements are usually pretty accurate, if anything they are smaller than listed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics