• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Appreciation Thread

TheRiblet

Reaction score
Hello, I use Levis 501 in 34 or 33, I wonder with size I use in Gustin. Regards

If the material has little flex then size up from what you would normally wear. If the denim is stretch denim or anything that has more flex to it then you are probably good with whatever you would normally wear.

You can't just go off the numbers alone.

composite

Reaction score
Are there other Gustin message boards with more eyeballs? Of all businesses that would value message board feedback, I figured it'd be Gustin. Their whole business model is crowdsourced clothing.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there other Gustin message boards with more eyeballs? Of all businesses that would value message board feedback, I figured it'd be Gustin. Their whole business model is crowdsourced clothing.
They used to have an affiliate thread here, but they must have thought it was not worth it. It has slowed down since that thread was closed and this one opened. There might be something at Reddit, but I don't like Reddit's format.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else get the feeling nothing is funding right now?

I committed to the American 16s a few weeks ago and it just continues to roll over with ninty-something funded and 6-24hrs to go. Same with the jet-jet I was eying.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have quite a few things from them. As someone else mentioned, the t-shirts are hit and miss.
I have a long sleeve henley that is that type of thin cotton that if you turn and wave to someone, there's instantly crease wrinkles that never come out.
I did buy a pair of chinos however, that are probably my favorite pair I own comfort and cut wise.
I just think that as long as they've been around, they could start to get away from the: order in the summer, get it at christmas business model.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I have owned and still own quite a bit of Gustin stuff. Is there anything in particular you want to know about?

I am a big fan of their heather t-shirts, crewneck sweatshirts and chinos. I dislike their button up shirts. Jeans are a bit hit or miss. Of all the pairs I have owned the Okayama Standard is what I actually wear on a regular basis.

The straight fit is usually what I go with.

I haven't tried their shoes, jackets or bags.

From a quality standpoint, its fine. I don't do construction or some kind of job where super tough clothing is necessary. My t-shirts have been holding up for almost 3 years of regular wear. I am starting to notice some wear on one or two of them. I had one pair of jeans I wore for almost two years. They held up just fine and faded nicely. Unfortunately I gained some weight and haven't been able to wear them much this last year. My chinos still look good after about 2-3 years of semi regular wear. The sweatshirts are actually my favorite items. I have one that is a few years old. Still looks great and is super soft.

I'll be honest, I have started to move away from purchasing Gustin. Not because of quality or price but more so for fit and variety. Their clothing is tough for bigger guys (like myself) to wear. I feel many of their options are very similar and some of their clothing gives me a "guy in his forties trying to look twenty" vibe, which I'm really not interested in. I'll probably continue to buy my sweatshirts and t-shirts from them but not much else. However, I did recently back the twill joggers because they looked comfortable for wearing around the house.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get the feeling nothing is funding right now?

I committed to the American 16s a few weeks ago and it just continues to roll over with ninty-something funded and 6-24hrs to go. Same with the jet-jet I was eying.
It might just be those particular makes then.

I've backed the twill joggers and rainbow nep chino shorts the joggers are almost funded and the rainbow nep is at 75% with 3 days to go. The latter may fall into the same situation as the ones you backed, but looks like the twill joggers will get funded.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"guy in his forties trying to look twenty" vibe,

I feel personally attacked here. ;)

I've tried just about everything they've put out, it seems. My go-tos are their chinos (slim fit) and regular t-shirts (I buy about 6-12 black t-shirts a year, and 3-6 white). I have a pair of their shoes and they're blister city on the heel, and I haven't tried wearing them more than twice because of that. I have too many Epaulet sneakers that don't have that issue. Their button downs don't fit me so MTM remains my primary source for that. Oh, and they do some socks that are occasionally great. The textured ones from last year are easily my favorite purchase of recent note from them. The jeans, btw, are what got me interested intially, but I'm just not satisfied with their hardware and fit is a little off for me.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel many of their options are very similar and some of their clothing gives me a "guy in his forties trying to look twenty" vibe,
Agree that a lot of offerings are very similar, but they are casual clothing after all. I have a few pair of jeans, couple pair of chinos and long sleeve t shirts (which I love). I should say, I'm 66 and retired and have always worn boots/jeans (weekends when working) all the time now. I don't care if someone thinks "that old guy is trying to look like he is in his 20's" The opinion of others is of no importance to me, I wear what I like and either others like it or not.

Oldsrocket27

Reaction score
I have a pair of their shoes and they're blister city on the heel, and I haven't tried wearing them more than twice because of that.
While they may not be made in a way that will fit you well, it's also possible that you never got past the break-in period if you only wore them twice and gave up. Something as simple as putting some duct tape on your heel and wearing them around the house for a day can solve a heel blister issue in cases where break-in is the issue.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While they may not be made in a way that will fit you well, it's also possible that you never got past the break-in period if you only wore them twice and gave up. Something as simple as putting some duct tape on your heel and wearing them around the house for a day can solve a heel blister issue in cases where break-in is the issue.
There is a product called moleskin, just for this purpose. Quite a few shoe guys swear by it. I will chime in, I'm a shoe guy, and the proper size shoe won't cause that issue. It's hard to get the right size on an internet purchase, unless one has experience with the brand and last the shoe/boot was made on. I think size not right in OP's case.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I packed some moleskin just in case for my 3 weeks in Italy.
It saved ******, and my feet...

Oldsrocket27

Reaction score
I'm aware of moleskin, duct tape is just cheaper and more commonly available. I can't speak about Gustin's shoes specifically, but I've had my fair share of shoes and boots that wore hard on my heels for the first week-ish before fitting like a glove. Moreso with footwear for work, but a pair of Meermin loafers gave me the same issue for a short period of time.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm aware of moleskin, duct tape is just cheaper and more commonly available. I can't speak about Gustin's shoes specifically, but I've had my fair share of shoes and boots that wore hard on my heels for the first week-ish before fitting like a glove. Moreso with footwear for work, but a pair of Meermin loafers gave me the same issue for a short period of time.
I will admit, that a pair of Iron Ranger boots gave me a hell of a break-in time and even moleskin didn't help, and they WERE properly sized, just REALLY STIFF leather. But once broken in, are like butter

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads