• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Appreciation Thread

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
18oz Japan. I’m also wearing a Gustin T-shirt, belt and socks.

FCB3DB30-2939-4C92-88FA-079FA1456B21.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the colors on that flannel.

It’s a Patagonia Fjord shirt from a few years ago. Sadly, the sleeves shrunk in length, making it nearly unwearable.

Stinson

Reaction score
Any experience with the field jacket? I am interested in ordering one.

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
Gustin used to have 3 shirt fits called Classic, Slim, and Tall. About 1 year ago, Gustin consolidated all 3 shirt fits into a single fit when they introduced the rugged style shirt (which has 2 chest pockets with buttons and a regular point collar). Essentially the new fit is midway between classic and slim (when it comes to chest width) and between the tall and the classic/slim (when it comes to sleeve length and overall center back length). So, if you were to buy a new XL shirt, you would find it to be not as slim as the old slim XL shirt and you will find that the new XL shirt has slightly longer sleeves and a longer body length.

Here are the old size charts (classic, slim, and tall):

View attachment 1048765 View attachment 1048766
View attachment 1048767

Here is the new size chart:

View attachment 1048779

I understand the impulse to condense three sizes into one, but this new sizing seems really odd. The XS and S patterns, for instance, added 1.25" in the shoulders. If a shirt drapes oddly in the shoulders, it kills the entire look. This makes me very hesitant to order any shirting from them.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the impulse to condense three sizes into one, but this new sizing seems really odd. The XS and S patterns, for instance, added 1.25" in the shoulders. If a shirt drapes oddly in the shoulders, it kills the entire look. This makes me very hesitant to order any shirting from them.
I need a true “tall” size due to my arm length, so I’m not able to buy their shirts or jackets either.

I don’t get it. They make their jeans and chinos long enough that taller people can buy them. If you’re attracting taller people to your brand, why wouldn’t you offer them other products like shirts and jackets that fit?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m hesitant to buy any shirts from them because I have never encountered one that matched the measurements listed on the website.

I don’t understand how QC is so much more consistent for pants than for shirts.

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
I’m hesitant to buy any shirts from them because I have never encountered one that matched the measurements listed on the website.

I don’t understand how QC is so much more consistent for pants than for shirts.

Yeah, I hear ya. Little of their operations make sense to me, actually, but I think they have an excellent eye for fabrics and a sensible approach to design that yields items I can easily imagine in my clothing lineup. But the end product, more often than not, has been disappointing.

pima1234

Reaction score
Yes, I'm with you. I can't purchase any more Gustin button shirts. Too inconsistent, but shirt alterations can really add up.

TheRiblet

Reaction score
Due to a lot of people having similar problems finding their correct size, if you can get your size figured out with their stuff, there is a ton of it on eBay that has hardly been worn, you can get it quickly, and it is less than half the price of backing them.

pima1234

Reaction score
Exactly. And this should be a red flag for the owners. People will eventually get tired of the guessing game and no refund policy. It's unfortunate, because there is much to love otherwise.

Due to a lot of people having similar problems finding their correct size, if you can get your size figured out with their stuff, there is a ton of it on eBay that has hardly been worn, you can get it quickly, and it is less than half the price of backing them.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. And this should be a red flag for the owners. People will eventually get tired of the guessing game and no refund policy. It's unfortunate, because there is much to love otherwise.

They offer returns on regular production (non grab bag stuff). It still sucks to wait three months for something that doesn’t fit.

pima1234

Reaction score
Right. That is inconvenient, to say the least. And, I have returned for store credit some items I've backed. However, credit is not always the preferred solution.

They offer returns on regular production (non grab bag stuff). It still sucks to wait three months for something that doesn’t fit.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. That is inconvenient, to say the least. And, I have returned for store credit some items I've backed. However, credit is not always the preferred solution.

I’ve returned stuff for a full refund that was inaccurately sized. Maybe it depends on the reason for the return, but they’ve been willing to work with me.

pima1234

Reaction score
Cool. I am glad to hear that. The "Nordstrom" policy is best for keeping customers happy.

I’ve returned stuff for a full refund that was inaccurately sized. Maybe it depends on the reason for the return, but they’ve been willing to work with me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads