• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gustin Appreciation Thread

RobotUser63

Reaction score
Right now I'm wearing them in the evening and will wash them in a week or two. I want to have a couple of cold wash/line dry before I take them for hemming.

@RobotUser63 Did you get any dye transfer from the Greensboro?
I would say I've only noticed minimal transfer. Mostly on my white Stan Smiths and my light grey hoodie but both wash off. I have a pretty light colored couch and can't notice any indigo. Here's a couple pics after probably 10 months of wear and probably around 7 or 8 washes. Like I said, I've really fallen in love with seeing the evolution of the color. Enjoy!
PXL_20211014_141911946.jpg
PXL_20211014_142035666.jpg

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Part of me wants to love that trio they've got up right now: Persimmon, Charcoal, Sea Indigo-Green but there's just... something off about each color that I don't know if I will like in person. I have the Persimmon Indigo chinos from a few years ago they did and I love them (the texture is fantastic).. The Charcoal just seems a little too.. faded? and the last I'm just not sure I like that particular shade. It's not like they're backing quickly so I have some time to decide.

On another note, got another two pair in and I got them hemmed before I tried them on (big mistake). They've been sewing up slimmer these last few batches, but, unsurprisingly, I lost about 15 pounds after adopting a "whole plant based diet" and they're all pretty good now. Except for these. I swear they're actually 33 or 34s because I can't even button the top button fly. WTF. Let's hope another 15 pounds will get me in them.

@RobotUser63 Oh man, you're in for a treat. My favorite part of breaking in denim is watching it go from pristine to MINE. I backed the Super Heavy Slub and can't wait to work on them.

Last edited:

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after reading this perhaps I'll get them hemmed an inch or two long now so I can wear them for a while.

To achieve the best fit possible, we highly recommend you wear your jeans for at least 3 to 6 months before washing them. However, if you feel compelled to wash them earlier then we recommend at a minimum a full week of consistent wear. If wear will be inconsistent then we suggest two to three weeks before the first soak or wash. Why? This will allow your jeans to stretch out to their max capacity so that when you do wash them they will shrink back to their original pre wash size.

RobotUser63

Reaction score
Part of me wants to love that trio they've got up right now: Persimmon, Charcoal, Sea Indigo-Green but there's just... something off about each color that I don't know if I will like in person. I have the Persimmon Indigo chinos from a few years ago they did and I love them (the texture is fantastic).. The Charcoal just seems a little too.. faded? and the last I'm just not sure I like that particular shade. It's not like they're backing quickly so I have some time to decide.

On another note, got another two pair in and I got them hemmed before I tried them on (big mistake). They've been sewing up slimmer these last few batches, but, unsurprisingly, I lost about 15 pounds after adopting a "whole plant based diet" and they're all pretty good now. Except for these. I swear they're actually 33 or 34s because I can't even button the top button fly. WTF. Let's hope another 15 pounds will get me in them.

@RobotUser63 Oh man, you're in for a treat. My favorite part of breaking in denim is watching it go from pristine to MINE. I backed the Super Heavy Slub and can't wait to work on them.
Oh I know, I can't wait to see them evolve! I've been tempted by a number of other pairs of jeans but have decided to focus on just 1 pair for now. I did pick up a black workshirt to fade alongside my Greensboro and I think I love the evolution of my workshirt even more. That thing fades like crazy.

So after reading this perhaps I'll get them hemmed an inch or two long now so I can wear them for a while.

I personally wouldn't overthink the first wash! I soaked mine before I wore them, then about 2 weeks into wearing them, my neighbors dog jumped up on me and got muddy paw marks all over them, so I gave them a machine wash (and hang dry). They will definitely shrink a bit on the inseam though so you have the right idea :)

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was first introduced to Gustin a few years back by someone who recommended them due to the longer length (inseam) compared to other makers. I’m tall and needed the extra length.

I REALLY like my Gustin jeans and chinos. (The size inconsistency is a little hard for me to understand.). Gustin is pretty much all I buy now.

A couple of years ago, I found some Gustin shirts. They were awesome. They were also the “tall” size, which has been discontinued. I’ve tried some of the regular length shirts and they just don’t work for me. There are so many great shirts and jackets that I’d love to get my hands on.

It seems weird to me that a company that attracts taller customers by selling longer-than-average jeans would not also offer tall size options in shirts and jackets.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wear any of their button down shirts, unfortunately. I'm built like a fucking ox, apparently (18"+ neck, 48-50" chest). I can wear the knits just fine (all of my t-shirts are black Gustin t-shirts with a few white for when I wear my Made-to-measure dress shirts, and I have been building up a small collection of Henleys and Hoodies). Which is a shame because some of their fabrics are on-point and the price point is amazing for RTW.

Reading between the lines, I'm pretty sure their sizing inconsistencies are probably due to factory differences. I think they contract out manufacturing to whomever has production capacity (and best pricing), which is why we see things like double belt loops on some of these latest batches, etc. I dunno. I have two pairs I can't wear because I got them hemmed before I tried them on and they're a full 1-2 sizes too small (I can't even button the top button fly), which is a bummer because they're both ones I really want to wear (the salt & pepper canvas and the red/oxblood denim). I've got 3 pair left in the queue and I hope they fare better (brushed olive chambray, I'm sooooo stoked for this one), but I'll be trying them on first. :D

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was first introduced to Gustin a few years back by someone who recommended them due to the longer length (inseam) compared to other makers. I’m tall and needed the extra length.

I REALLY like my Gustin jeans and chinos. (The size inconsistency is a little hard for me to understand.). Gustin is pretty much all I buy now.

A couple of years ago, I found some Gustin shirts. They were awesome. They were also the “tall” size, which has been discontinued. I’ve tried some of the regular length shirts and they just don’t work for me. There are so many great shirts and jackets that I’d love to get my hands on.

It seems weird to me that a company that attracts taller customers by selling longer-than-average jeans would not also offer tall size options in shirts and jackets.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
I have the opposite problem I need to chop off maybe 7-8 inches from the pairs I have. I may still pick up some others as they have some really unique colors/textures.

My mystery memorial day 5 pocket should be shipping any day now.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.