Gurkha Trousers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by afberg, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:04 AM.

1. afberg

afberg New Member

First post in the forums, so go easy on me :).

I'm looking for a brand that sells decent gurkha pants/trousers that won't break the bank. Something along the lines of what Rubinacci has to offer but hopefully not quite as expensive.

Seems these kinds of pants are quite niche as my google searches come up with nothing.

Any help is appreciated!

Also, for those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's some info:
    https://therake.com/stories/style/a-history-of-the-gurkha-trousers/

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Google is your friend on these occasions, personally I think that they should be left to the Gurkhas and not written fashion forward clothes. I certainly don't recall mention of them here, have you used the search function or looked at the Streetwear Board?

3. jdp234

jdp234 Senior member

@AlexRamius has a couple very fetching pairs from Luxire, he might be willing to share his order codes if you ask nicely.

4. AlexRamius

AlexRamius Senior member

Last one was Order #23276 :)

_MG_1924.JPG _MG_2049.jpg

5. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

6. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

Everything featured by Luca Rubinacci, Craptom, Rake and that bunch of unelegant people is just tacky fast fashion, nor high tailoring, nor classic elegance, nor business related or nor something any will see on a directive, prime minister, judge, and so and so, just an histrionic disguise or fetish-relic so they fulfill their narcissistic-histrionic personality and can feel-believe they know-dress-are over the rest of mortals as they posse all the time...

What will be the next ridiculous garment those put on hype, this kind of trousers, this kind of burka?

After gurka, will come this burka and trousers?

tetuan1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 9:50 AM

7. AlexRamius

AlexRamius Senior member

@SartodiNapoli It is just an alternative way to make a waistband. It does not change the fit. I agree it's not business related, and I won't ever ask for gurkha waistband on a suit, or ask a bespoke tailor to do it, or simply spend lots of money in it.
    That being said, I don't see the harm with a sportcoat.

8. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Well-Known Member

I must say that I find those striped gurkhas paired with a sport coat to be an extremely jarring, unbalanced and just downright weird look.

Women can generally get away with all kinds of blatant cultural appropriation with ease, but where men is concerned it's infinitely harder. Unless one deliberately aims to look like an oddity, in which case the mission has been accomplished.

9. AlexRamius

AlexRamius Senior member

But if it was a regular closure with side adjusters, it would be OK? Does not really make sens.
    What about the trench coat, the Safari Jacket, or any other military inspired clothing?

10. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Well-Known Member

It makes perfect sense to me. I find the hugely oversized waistband, the extremely prominent waist adjuster and the overall look they generate, once again, jarring, unbalanced and just very weird. And it has nothing to do with being militarily inspired or not, it has to do with it being an unfortunate mix of cultural expressions.

The trench coat (which I dearly love) and the safari jacket have been familiar and instantly recognisable parts of Western culture for many, many decades, while gurkha pants have not. In the unlikely event that gurkha pants should ever become a ubiquitous sight on the street, in the movies or elsewhere, then they will of course become sartorial harmless, but until then they're just a weird and really not very good look.

All of which is of course just my subjective opinion, which you should in no way feel obliged to heed.

11. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

12. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

This thread started with a gentleman looking for some shorts. He now has two reasonable options: Luxire or J Peterman. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on said shorts. I think yours look great, Alex. I think you Gurkha short detractors should spend more time complimenting things you like instead of hating on things you dislike. Carry on, afberg. Best of luck in your sartorial journey.