• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun suggestions

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about shotguns or rifles, but I have a few handguns and can comment.

I have, all in 9mm, for over 8 years.

Glock 17
Beretta 92
H&K UPS compact
Sig Sauer P226
Walther P99

At this point if I have to just pick one, I'd go with the Glock, but in the .40

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An AR15 is not legal for deer in most states either.

Since you need something of about that capacity, I would suggest any of the decent short action bolt guns in something between 7mm-08 and .308 (Remington 7, Win 70, FN PTR I think?, CZ 550, etc). If you want semi-auto, that makes things a bit harder. Browning and Remington both make semi-automatic hunting rifles in those calibers. You could get an AR10 (or variant) in those calibers.

Or you could get an AR15 in 6.8 Remington SPC (.270 in caliber, legal and sufficient for deer out to 200 yds at least), however that fails the "common caliber" requirement.

You may still be able to get a military surplus M1 Garand, used in WWII, from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. They are only a few hundred dollars, going relatively fast, .30-06, semi-automatic, an authentic piece of history, and use an 8 rnd en-bloc clip. Good in case you need to storm the beaches of Normandy anytime soon.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you decide to go with a GLOCK, shoot me a PM.

My funnest "evil" rifle is the Springfield M1A, which is basically the semi-auto civilian version of the M14 used in the early days of Vietnam. My friends in the know, military etc, have expressed that there is a lot of push among US ground forces to go back to a 30 caliber rifle vs the .223 of their M4s. Which would make a lot of sense to me in the context of Afghanistan.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it, but it would help to know just what you intend to use these for. Is this a carry pistol, a nightstand drawer gun, just something to shoot at the range? Same with the rifle/shotgun.

So no lower than a 40...10mm is an EXCELLENT round, but is extremely expensive to shoot. You can get killer ballistics out of it for cheap if you handload, though. I never was a big fan of 40 S&W, either. So my suggestion goes to .45 ACP. If you are looking to conceal, a good 1911 style gun has a slimmer profile that's nice. If not carrying, I'd go with one of the high-capacity semi autos. Glock and Springfield (XD) are both really good. The XD used to be a lot cheaper than the Glock, but I think it's close nowadays. I'd take the Glock over the two due to a lack of unnecessary safeties, though that may be a plus to you. The XD felt better in my hand, though.

Shotguns: I'm not really experienced with semi autos, so I'd say go with a pump. The 835 and the Mossberg 500/590 are both reliable and cheap, with varying models to blow money on. Personally, I like the Mossberg since the safety is in a better position for me.

Rifles: bigger than .223/5.56....How about an AK? 7.62x39, high capacity mags, tried and true design with a great aftermarket. If you want to step up in caliber, I'd highly recommend the FAL in .308. Beware of CETME's; there are good ones around, but they had some QC issues. Also, the M1 is an excellent platform, but it wasn't cheap back when I was around them.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also worth noting...with modern hollow-point technology, the actual performance difference between the 3 major rounds has been almost completely negated. Therefor I think 9mm has a big leg up:
-more controllable
-higher capacity
-less expensive cost leads to more practice

The difference between 9mm, 40, and 45 should not be one of the main buying criteria, unless there's some caliber-related psychology you can't get past. Which I actually wouldn't...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unlike clothes, guns hold their value very well. If you buy something you don't like, new, you'll get 70+% of what you paid for it when you sell it.

I say you can't go wrong with an XD or Glock in .40 for the pistol. AR-15 no question for the rifle--get it while it's legal.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I'm in the market for two or three guns and would appreciate suggestions, especially from owners. Budget is $1k to $2k. In all probability, I will buy a handgun and then pick either the rifle or the shotgun, but not both. 1. Rifle - something in a common caliber with decent range and stopping power. Needs to have a clip, but doesn't need to be out of a John Woo film. 2. Pistol - looking for a common caliber here. Movies make me want a .45 desert eagle, but there's movies and then there's real life. No smaller than a .40/10mm. 3. Shotgun - 12gauge. Pump or semi-auto. In my youth, I was very good with rifle and shotgun, but have never used a pistol. Suggestions for where to look off SF would be appreciated. If anyone knows Jan's current title, I can also stop at the bookstore.
Referring to it has a "clip" is incorrect. It's called a magazine-there's actually a difference. 1. What is the purpose of the rifle? If you want to hunt deer, get a .308. If you want a toy, buy an Ak-47. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than an M4 (you can get one for 350 bucks), and it's the most reliable gun ever made. It will shoot with sand, mud, dirt, water-you name it. 2. You can't go wrong with a Glock. I'd get either a full sized .40 or .45 (assuming you aren't going to carry it), but 9mm is perfectly fine as well. 3. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 (assuming the shotgun is not going to be used for hunting). $600 for the Glock, $350 for the AK and $300 for the shotty (roughly) and you're still below 1500. Here's my Romanian SAR-1 AK 47 and Mossberg 500....
n39100926_31702176_8395.jpg
n39100926_31702177_8634.jpg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
G3 or CETME clone for a good value 7.62. FN FAL (922R compliant) clone will cost a little more but may be better for a first timer.

If you like plastic firearms, the above mentioned Springfield XDs and Glocks, etc are all pretty good, reliable and low maintenance. However, if you prefer the feel of steel (blued or stainless), you may want to look at a cheap surplus Sig, Walther P1 (alumium, but still metal), Berretta 92 or for a .45 the old Ruger P90s are great value. 1911A1s are fine single action pistols, if that is your taste (and training - for ex servicepeople). You also can't beat the old S&W wheel gun! J Frame for carry, bigger if you don't need to conceal. You can even shoot .357 magnums once you get comfortable with .38s.

Find a range near you that will let you rent handguns and try them out - that's the only way you'll know what is best for you.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
G3 or CETME clone for a good value 7.62. FN FAL (922R compliant) clone will cost a little more but may be better for a first timer. If you like plastic firearms, the above mentioned Springfield XDs and Glocks, etc are all pretty good, reliable and low maintenance. However, if you prefer the feel of steel (blued or stainless), you may want to look at a cheap surplus Sig, Walther P1 (alumium, but still metal), Berretta 92 or for a .45 the old Ruger P90s are great value. 1911A1s are fine single action pistols, if that is your taste (and training - for ex servicepeople). Find a range near you that will let you rent handguns and try them out - that's the only way you'll know what is best for you.
Another vote for a Sig if you decided to go a more expensive route. I actually like my Glock just as much, if not better. My Sig has never handled flat nosed rounds very well at all. I had some jams with Federal hollow points. For an extra 300 bucks, I really don't think I could justify buying another Sig over a Glcok. My P220...
n39100926_31590909_4538.jpg

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
However, if you prefer the feel of steel (blued or stainless), you may want to look at a cheap surplus Sig, Walther P1 (alumium, but still metal), Berretta 92 or for a .45 the old Ruger P90s are great value.

Good point. Many have a thing for the old Beretta's, such as the M9 or the 92. Higher capacity 9mm but still with a proven solid metal frame. If you consider something along these lines, check on the Taurus version: the PT-92 (9mm) and the PT-99 (40 S&W). They are clones of the Beretta, but with some significant improvements made, such as having the safety on the frame (who the hell decided to put it on the slide?).

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Good point. Many have a thing for the old Beretta's, such as the M9 or the 92. Higher capacity 9mm but still with a proven solid metal frame. If you consider something along these lines, check on the Taurus version: the PT-92 (9mm) and the PT-99 (40 S&W). They are clones of the Beretta, but with some significant improvements made, such as having the safety on the frame (who the hell decided to put it on the slide?).
I would never buy an auto made by Taurus, but that's just me. Actually, not just me, most people wouldn't. I would also never want a gun with a manual safety. Glock Sig H&K I would stick with one of these 3 for a handgun, unless you want a revolver. There are other quality brands, but those 3 are staple.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
It really depends on what you're looking to do with the pistol and rifle. There are a lot of nice .40 S&W and .45 ACP pistols available, depending on what size you want (full size or compact).

and the shotgun. you are talking about tools - what do you want to do with the tools?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I would never buy an auto made by Taurus, but that's just me. Actually, not just me, most people wouldn't. I would also never want a gun with a manual safety.

'Most' people voted Obama; that obviously makes it right.... Hop on any gun forum and see what THEY say. Also, check at any gun shop. Taurus is making extraordinary guns at an extraordinary price. They also have a full lifetime warranty on every gun they make.

Don't taint his decision with opinion, back it up with fact.

EDIT - And to back my own post with fact: I owned a Taurus .357 Magnum revolver, and my buddy carries a Millenium .45. I've also shot the PT1911, which has had great reviews from everyone.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
'Most' people voted Obama; that obviously makes it right.... Hop on any gun forum and see what THEY say. Also, check at any gun shop. Taurus is making extraordinary guns at an extraordinary price. They also have a full lifetime warranty on every gun they make.

Don't taint his decision with opinion, back it up with fact.

EDIT - And to back my own post with fact: I owned a Taurus .357 Magnum revolver, and my buddy carries a Millenium .45. I've also shot the PT1911, which has had great reviews from everyone.

Damndest thing. I have a Taurus .38 special that always jams when I fire regular ammunition, but not hollow-points. After a few rounds, the cylinder just refuses to turn and chamber another round. I had almost never heard of a revolver jamming like this.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as self defense tools.
the 10 mil honestly is not that common so one goes through a alot fo money on the range nro will you be able to scavage rround easily.
i prefer 9 mil for pistols
on the rifle. going for a 10 mil means money on ammo is not problem. so try a g11, a late model

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads