• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Club Check Appreciation Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The book is called Scottish Estate Tweeds, by E. P. Harrison.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
You've lost me. But I did get the implication that my inquiry does not merit a meaningful response. Thanks for the help.
wink.gif

I don't think it's personal. There may not be an answer. These things developed before the great age of the neurotic compulsive. We don't really know where pin stripes come from but that doesn't stop me from wearing them, or enjoying them. If someone is in the industry, they'll know what you are talking about. If they aren't, I don't see what you gain with the history of the gun check at your finger tips. I dont even know what sort of person, assuming anyone even knows this stuff, would respond to your question. It's almost Tom-Sawyer-gets-others-to-paint-the-fence like. I have encountered personalities that think being an encyclopedia of facts means they're right all the time but I really haven't ever seen them amount to anything but ostracized. So, in many ways because of my regard for you, I am trying to keep you the very pleasant, enjoyable person that you are.
smile.gif

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ab10225b9da0209adc660110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
Amazon says the last publishing was 1995.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
I just picked up this gun-club from the tailor-man a few weeks ago.

Shetland800341-1.jpg

Originally Posted by Manton
^^^ I am having a fitting in that this Friday.

Suit (3 pc?) or just a SC? The pic of '80s polo illustrates how versatile something like this can be as a suit. The SC works well with flannels and cords.
The trousers work well with Barbour / quilted type jackets.

Difficulty is that so many of these patterns are just not strong enough for trousers. They bag rather quickly.

Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
AndyTrad thread photo, '80s Polo. Classic Turf Accountant's ensemble.
AAAC48.jpg

There's a photo of Evelyn Waugh in an (almost) identical suit. Can't find it on the webz.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's a shetland; jacket only.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
I just picked up this gun-club from the tailor-man a few weeks ago.
^^^ I am having a fitting in that this Friday.

My tailor has put a jacket length of that same cloth aside for me but I pobably won't have it made up until autum 2010.

Originally Posted by Parker
chan01.jpg

Very subtle effect, I like it!

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
About thirty years ago Johnstons of Elgin updated a book titled Scottish District Checks (it's not handy and I could have the publisher wrong but the title is correct). It has histories and photos of hundreds of estate tweeds, including the gun clubs. Copies are still around in used book stores.

The book is called Scottish Estate Tweeds, by E. P. Harrison.

Originally Posted by james_timothy
ab10225b9da0209adc660110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Amazon says the last publishing was 1995.

Thank you, gentlemen. I've made a note of that one.

Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I don't think it's personal. There may not be an answer. These things developed before the great age of the neurotic compulsive. We don't really know where pin stripes come from but that doesn't stop me from wearing them, or enjoying them.

If someone is in the industry, they'll know what you are talking about. If they aren't, I don't see what you gain with the history of the gun check at your finger tips. I dont even know what sort of person, assuming anyone even knows this stuff, would respond to your question. It's almost Tom-Sawyer-gets-others-to-paint-the-fence like.

I have encountered personalities that think being an encyclopedia of facts means they're right all the time but I really haven't ever seen them amount to anything but ostracized. So, in many ways because of my regard for you, I am trying to keep you the very pleasant, enjoyable person that you are.
smile.gif

Thanks for the thoughtful response, and also for your kind words. If it puts you at ease, I'm not under the false impression that I can become an authority, all I want is to have more familiarity. I'm the first to acknowledge that I am just at the beginning of the rise of a very steep learning curve.

Also, my question about resources and reference materials was not intended to be specifically about gun checks or estate tweeds, but about fabrics and patterns generally. It's frustrating for me to see something I like and not know the proper terminology for it, or to hear something described here (or IRL) and not be able to visualize it. I probably should have posted my question in another thread since it only partially relates to the topic of this thread. I couldn't resist the temptation since this thread is populated by folks who have vast knowledge on the subject.

Thanks again to everyone for their responses. If anyone else has any suggested reading on fabrics and fabric patterns, feel free to pm me if you feel it's better not to muck up this nice gun check thread.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I probably should have posted my question in another thread since it only partially relates to the topic of this thread.

No, I think that you used this forum correctly.

- B

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TC, I had a similar question which was answered with vox' 'just call them checks' earlier on.

This thread brought to mind this coat which I'm on the fence about purchasing:

DSC09875.jpg

DSC09878.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oshinex
How big is the lapels on this jacket?
About 3.5"
Originally Posted by sammy
7626.jpg
What book and swatch number is this one from?

That's from the John Hardy Alsport I think.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
No, I think that you used this forum correctly.
Yes, this is a free-for-all, Wild West kind of thread. No questions turned away. However, gentlemanliness encouraged.
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Asked in WAYWT but figured could pose it here...would this qualify?
I believe you'd just call that a houndstooth, but it has a similar simple check pattern to a gun club. I don't know really what technically makes a gun club, but I think it's a simple grid pattern with monospaced "lines' of alternating colors. The "lines" would be straight and have no "teeth". Like a gingham shirt. Traditionally brown and red, and sometimes with an overcheck. But, I could be wrong.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker

I believe you'd just call that a houndstooth, but it has a similar simple check pattern to a gun club. I don't know really what technically makes a gun club, but I think it's a simple grid pattern with monospaced "lines' of alternating colors. The "lines" would be straight and have no "teeth". Like a gingham shirt. Traditionally brown and red, and sometimes with an overcheck. But, I could be wrong.

What I figured...so it would need an overcheck on top of the houndstooth...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads