Gun Club Check Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The book is called Scottish Estate Tweeds, by E. P. Harrison.

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

You've lost me. But I did get the implication that my inquiry does not merit a meaningful response. Thanks for the help. [​IMG]
    I don't think it's personal. There may not be an answer. These things developed before the great age of the neurotic compulsive. We don't really know where pin stripes come from but that doesn't stop me from wearing them, or enjoying them. If someone is in the industry, they'll know what you are talking about. If they aren't, I don't see what you gain with the history of the gun check at your finger tips. I dont even know what sort of person, assuming anyone even knows this stuff, would respond to your question. It's almost Tom-Sawyer-gets-others-to-paint-the-fence like. I have encountered personalities that think being an encyclopedia of facts means they're right all the time but I really haven't ever seen them amount to anything but ostracized. So, in many ways because of my regard for you, I am trying to keep you the very pleasant, enjoyable person that you are.[​IMG]

3. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

[​IMG] Amazon says the last publishing was 1995.

4. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

I just picked up this gun-club from the tailor-man a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

^^^ I am having a fitting in that this Friday.

Suit (3 pc?) or just a SC? The pic of '80s polo illustrates how versatile something like this can be as a suit. The SC works well with flannels and cords.
    The trousers work well with Barbour / quilted type jackets.

Difficulty is that so many of these patterns are just not strong enough for trousers. They bag rather quickly.

AndyTrad thread photo, '80s Polo. Classic Turf Accountant's ensemble.
    [​IMG]

There's a photo of Evelyn Waugh in an (almost) identical suit. Can't find it on the webz.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It's a shetland; jacket only.

6. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

I just picked up this gun-club from the tailor-man a few weeks ago.
    ^^^ I am having a fitting in that this Friday.

My tailor has put a jacket length of that same cloth aside for me but I pobably won't have it made up until autum 2010.

[​IMG]
    Very subtle effect, I like it!

7. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

[​IMG] Amazon says the last publishing was 1995.
    Kewl

8. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

About thirty years ago Johnstons of Elgin updated a book titled Scottish District Checks (it's not handy and I could have the publisher wrong but the title is correct). It has histories and photos of hundreds of estate tweeds, including the gun clubs. Copies are still around in used book stores.

The book is called Scottish Estate Tweeds, by E. P. Harrison.

[​IMG]
    Amazon says the last publishing was 1995.

Thank you, gentlemen. I've made a note of that one.

I don't think it's personal. There may not be an answer. These things developed before the great age of the neurotic compulsive. We don't really know where pin stripes come from but that doesn't stop me from wearing them, or enjoying them.

If someone is in the industry, they'll know what you are talking about. If they aren't, I don't see what you gain with the history of the gun check at your finger tips. I dont even know what sort of person, assuming anyone even knows this stuff, would respond to your question. It's almost Tom-Sawyer-gets-others-to-paint-the-fence like.

I have encountered personalities that think being an encyclopedia of facts means they're right all the time but I really haven't ever seen them amount to anything but ostracized. So, in many ways because of my regard for you, I am trying to keep you the very pleasant, enjoyable person that you are.[​IMG]

Thanks for the thoughtful response, and also for your kind words. If it puts you at ease, I'm not under the false impression that I can become an authority, all I want is to have more familiarity. I'm the first to acknowledge that I am just at the beginning of the rise of a very steep learning curve.

Also, my question about resources and reference materials was not intended to be specifically about gun checks or estate tweeds, but about fabrics and patterns generally. It's frustrating for me to see something I like and not know the proper terminology for it, or to hear something described here (or IRL) and not be able to visualize it. I probably should have posted my question in another thread since it only partially relates to the topic of this thread. I couldn't resist the temptation since this thread is populated by folks who have vast knowledge on the subject.

Thanks again to everyone for their responses. If anyone else has any suggested reading on fabrics and fabric patterns, feel free to pm me if you feel it's better not to muck up this nice gun check thread.

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I probably should have posted my question in another thread since it only partially relates to the topic of this thread.

No, I think that you used this forum correctly.

- B

10. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

This one looks great to me, but IIRC it's like 8oz--who the hell decided that one?

I have this cloth from Andrew Rogers, definitely a Spring or Summer weight. Also in real life the base colour has a more yellow tinge to it. I can't wait to have it make up.

11. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Here's a bad shot me wearing it. (Dont' laugh, I did put on socks).

[​IMG]

And a macro. There's no overcheck, just brown and rust on top of a lighter brown-gray. yfyf found this in the Chan archives/warehouse.

[​IMG]

That is a really nice gun club.

12. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

TC, I had a similar question which was answered with vox' 'just call them checks' earlier on.

This thread brought to mind this coat which I'm on the fence about purchasing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Asked in WAYWT but figured could pose it here...would this qualify?

[​IMG]

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

How big is the lapels on this jacket?
    About 3.5"
    [​IMG] What book and swatch number is this one from?
    That's from the John Hardy Alsport I think.
    No, I think that you used this forum correctly.
    Yes, this is a free-for-all, Wild West kind of thread. No questions turned away. However, gentlemanliness encouraged.
    Asked in WAYWT but figured could pose it here...would this qualify?
    I believe you'd just call that a houndstooth, but it has a similar simple check pattern to a gun club. I don't know really what technically makes a gun club, but I think it's a simple grid pattern with monospaced "lines' of alternating colors. The "lines" would be straight and have no "teeth". Like a gingham shirt. Traditionally brown and red, and sometimes with an overcheck. But, I could be wrong.

15. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I believe you'd just call that a houndstooth, but it has a similar simple check pattern to a gun club. I don't know really what technically makes a gun club, but I think it's a simple grid pattern with monospaced "lines' of alternating colors. The "lines" would be straight and have no "teeth". Like a gingham shirt. Traditionally brown and red, and sometimes with an overcheck. But, I could be wrong.

What I figured...so it would need an overcheck on top of the houndstooth...