Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gun Club Check Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

That's not an actual ensemble. It's the maker's son who put on the jacket just to show the fabric in that shot. The jacket is for another. - B
    Hopefully, they made him a matching deerstalker.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Hopefully, they made him a matching deerstalker.

I think that they skipped that because they only had seven different kinds of tweeds in stock.

Plus, there is a big stockpile in Naples.

- B

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Where's your recent Chan? That was a lovely check and I actually prefer the relatively small size of the pattern.

Here's a bad shot me wearing it. (Dont' laugh, I did put on socks).

[​IMG]

And a macro. There's no overcheck, just brown and rust on top of a lighter brown-gray. yfyf found this in the Chan archives/warehouse.

[​IMG]

4. Film Noir Buff

I think that they skipped that because they only had seven different kinds of tweeds in stock. Plus, there is a big stockpile in Naples. - B
    Hey tough guy, my jacket used 8 different tweeds. It's a Section 8...get it, get it?[​IMG]

5. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

[​IMG]

Yours looks so much better than the examples in the last page. Those almost put me off gun club ..

6. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I thought that SC was a gingham pattern with a 2nd color overcheck while GC was a 2-color gingham pattern with a 3rd color overcheck. Might be completely wrong though...

Harrison of Edinburgh coined the term District Checks at the end of the Nineteenth century, of which there were about thirty, the production of which they took over from Fraser and Smith.

One District Check was the Shepherd Check. This was four by four or six by six black and white.

Another District Check was the Gun Club (Coigach.) This was like a Shepherd Check but in alternating series of black and reddish brown against white. The Gun Club was a reimportation of a pattern lost in Britain but preserved in America.

Things have devolved, or evolved if you prefer, from that time. There were many District Checks that one might call "gun clubs" today, but they were actually checks of their own name and type (Gairloch, Brooke, etc.)

There are also all the modern divergences, but instead of calling then gun clubs it probably makes more sense just to call them checks.

The most famous District Check is the PoW, a variation of the Small Glen Urquhart.

- B

Thanks for the explanation, gents. Are they also traditionally light brown, reddish brown or brown tones? It seems most examples I have seen referred to as "gun club" are in that family. I think this jacket technically meets the description but the color tones are unlike any I have ever seen referred to as gun club.

Also, can you guys point me to any resources to learn the names and characteristics of fabrics and patterns? I have most of flusser's books and I don't recall it ever being covered in great detail.

[​IMG]

7. Film Noir Buff

Thanks for the explanation, gents. Are they also traditionally light brown, reddish brown or brown tones? It seems most examples I have seen referred to as "gun club" are in that family. I think this jacket technically meets the description but the color tones are unlike any I have ever seen referred to as gun club. Also, can you guys point me to any resources to learn the names and characteristics of fabrics and patterns? I have most of flusser's books and I don't recall it ever being covered in great detail. [​IMG]
    What possible use could you have for this information?

8. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Satisfying one's curiosity?

9. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

[​IMG]

And a macro. There's no overcheck, just brown and rust on top of a lighter brown-gray. yfyf found this in the Chan archives/warehouse.

[​IMG]

How big is the lapels on this jacket?

10. sammy

sammy Senior member

[​IMG]

What book and swatch number is this one from?

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

I really like gun club checks.
    So do I ... more than a few Biddle Lists' worth.

12. TC (Houston)

What possible use could you have for this information?

Is this a serious question? In any event, I would like to become better versed so that I can properly identify fabrics and communicate effectively to others about those fabrics.

13. Film Noir Buff

Is this a serious question?
    I asked you first. I suppose anywhere but here it's a serious question.
    In any event, I would like to become better versed so that I can properly identify fabrics and communicate effectively to others about those fabrics.
    This answers my question; you really have no use for this information[​IMG]

14. TC (Houston)

This answers my question; you really have no use for this information[​IMG]

You've lost me. But I did get the implication that my inquiry does not merit a meaningful response. Thanks for the help. [​IMG]

15. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is this a serious question? In any event, I would like to become better versed so that I can properly identify fabrics and communicate effectively to others about those fabrics.

About thirty years ago Johnstons of Elgin updated a book titled Scottish District Checks (it's not handy and I could have the publisher wrong but the title is correct). It has histories and photos of hundreds of estate tweeds, including the gun clubs. Copies are still around in used book stores.