Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. milosz

milosz Senior member

Crappy iPhone pics of my afternoon project - took a base 10/22 down to the receiver, installed:
    Tactical Solutions threaded barrel (in case I decide to go the suppressor route)
    Volquartsen trigger/hammer/etc.
    Tac Sol mag release
    fancy bolt (I think it was VQ?)
    fancy titanium bolt release
    Hogue stock (which is brownish and matches the copper barrel - the pics show green because of the lighting)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was kind of expecting it to be a more involved process than an hour in the workshop. Oh well - everything fit together well (barrel was very tight, took some work), seems to feed out of a 10/22 rotary mag without issues and I guess the trigger is a vast improvement over the stock 10/22... but then again I've never actually shot a stock 10/22.

Need to get a scope mount, rings, and scope before I can take it to the range and test it.

2. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

^
    Looks good!

I love the feal of those Hogue stocks.

3. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Would like to get something in a .338 lapua next year, assuming I can find a place to actually use it, to a reasonable degree. I've always wanted a big caliber rifle (biggest I own now is 8mm) to shoot at long distances, but haven't found a place yet.

They are a different animal. I love them for what they are but can't justify owning one. Takes a great deal of ballistics knowledge to fully utilize their potential

4. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Crappy iPhone pics of my afternoon project - took a base 10/22 down to the receiver, installed:
    Tactical Solutions threaded barrel (in case I decide to go the suppressor route)
    Volquartsen trigger/hammer/etc.
    Tac Sol mag release
    fancy bolt (I think it was VQ?)
    fancy titanium bolt release
    Hogue stock (which is brownish and matches the copper barrel - the pics show green because of the lighting)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was kind of expecting it to be a more involved process than an hour in the workshop. Oh well - everything fit together well (barrel was very tight, took some work), seems to feed out of a 10/22 rotary mag without issues and I guess the trigger is a vast improvement over the stock 10/22... but then again I've never actually shot a stock 10/22.

Need to get a scope mount, rings, and scope before I can take it to the range and test it.

Nice. I'll have to get pics of mine up soon. All that and no automatic bolt release?

5. J.V

J.V Member

I picked up a Gen 3 Glock 19 RTF frame this summer for my first conceal carry handgun.
    [​IMG]

I love the gun, i love Glocks, however im not a huge guy so im having a bit of trouble conceal carrying it all the time. In most instances like when im in a t-shirt, or an untucked polo or any other shirt, its fine for concealing, but if i need to tuck a shirt in it becomes a bit of a problem. Now that its winter time it should not be as bit a problem as i can layer a sweater over a tucked in shirt or with a blazer so it wont be a problem, im just going to rethink my carrying options for the summer time.

Im considering picking up something like the Keltec or the LCP for a pocket carry/in a belly band holster or look at some other compact options with a single stack mag.

6. milosz

milosz Senior member

Nice. I'll have to get pics of mine up soon. All that and no automatic bolt release?

The VQ TG2000 trigger includes the auto bolt release, it seems.

How does it work on a stock 10/22? You have to pull back and release the bolt handle while doing something with the magazine release at the same time?

7. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

I picked up a Gen 3 Glock 19 RTF frame this summer for my first conceal carry handgun.
    [

I also find mid/fullsize pistols too large for concealment. If interested in a Keltec or LCP, I would highly suggest you go to a range that allows you to rent, because there are some inherent design issues one must take in to consideration when looking at either of these guns (I thought about picking up one as a jogging gun).

Some people are able to conceal anything, but I'm mostly relegated to carrying a J frame during the summers, and with the hopes of finding the right holster...my Kimber Ultra during the winter.

...BTW that G19 makes for a great house gun.

8. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I just thought I'd drop-in a gratuitous plug for my favorite trigger guy. Bill had done 5 of these for me and I will be sending him another soon. http://www.triggerwork.net/

I've also heard lots of good stuff about this guy, but have no personal experience with his work: http://www.williamstriggers.com/

Right now I'm focused on my Saiga-12 project, but I found a guy that does amazing laser engraving work on firearms - I think I'll send him a G3 trigger pack frame to have an emblem engraved on it.

9. milosz

milosz Senior member

If you want to check out something in between a mid-size gun like a G19 and a pocket gun like an LCP, look to the Walther PPS. 6-8 rounds of 9mm in single-stack form, fairly narrow relative to a Glock, but easier to control than an LCP/Kel-Tec.

10. milosz

milosz Senior member

I sent Bill Springfield a pair of my dad's semi-autos - an H&K P30L and a Browning Hi-Power. Both were difficult to shoot stock, the P30L had the heaviest DA pull I've experienced, and the BHP was as notchy as any thanks to the mag disconnect. His turnaround was about a week and the work was great (and affordable) - the P30L pull is still heavier than a stock Sig but it's very usable, and the SA pull is nice and crisp.

I don't currently have anything that he works on (except for a P30 LEM I'm fine with stock), but I would definitely go to him again if the opportunity arose.

11. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

The VQ TG2000 trigger includes the auto bolt release, it seems.

How does it work on a stock 10/22? You have to pull back and release the bolt handle while doing something with the magazine release at the same time?

Yeah, pull back on the bolt and press up/back on the little metal tab next to the mag release. I bought a Timney drop in trigger and Volq extended mag release, auto bolt release, other misc. parts. I think my bolt is all that's left stock. Not super impressed with the trigger, but it's a huge improvement over stock. The auto bolt release is cool, but not really necessary as it doesn't stay open when empty. Unless you buy the kit with the modded mags and I'm not into that

12. J.V

J.V Member

Yea the glock is a great gun and will make a great bedside home defense gun. Like I said before itll get me through winter now that ill be wearing heavier clothing and a jacket and blazer most of the time. And there are still plenty of clothes in my wardrobe that I can easily conceal it with.

One of the reasons I was looking at getting a LCP or keltec is not that its getting so dark so early on the east coast i was looking for something to carry around when i go jogging and stuff as well. I think a pocket pistol is a good piece to have in my arsenal due to the conceivability of it.

Come spring time im going to do alot of shopping around for a new gun. Im going to look into single stack guns and some compact guns and see what works best with what im looking for.

13. suited

suited Senior member

G19 is the best all around Glock. Small enough to carry, and big enough for home use. I went with the 26 because I use mine strictly for a glove box/carry gun, but the 19 is an excellent choice.

14. Siggy

Siggy Senior member

[​IMG]

What is the story with the RTF frame? Is it just a new type of all around checkering? Anything else different than standard Gen 3?

15. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

J.V. great purchase. I have one also. You should trade in this or buy a G26. I had to do this as I'm small and was not concealing it very well. So far the G26 is perfect! If you keep both, the magazines are interchangeable.
    if you do go with the G26 make sure you get the slight pinky extenders, they make a world of difference.

I also have a LCR and a LCP. The revolver is a better gun overall. The LCP is perfect for concealed carry with clothes that actually fit you. They both shoot very easy and so freaking straight. Get the laser on these and your a force! The khar 9mm is also fantastic. Right in between the LCP and Glock size.

When I found my G19 too big to conceal carry I bought a Sig 232 that is just like small handgun in the inglorious bastards film but sweeter. It's a .380. And you know. I prefer the inexpensive LCP over it. The LCP is lighter and shooters easier.