• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Speaking of Tommy guns, anyone have any experience with the new 10/22FunGun Ruger 10/22 Tommy Gun kit? I've always wanted a real Tommy gun but I don't really like the Auto Ordnance models. The kit is $300; throw in a new Ruger 10/22 for $200 or so and you've got a functional Tommy replica (albeit in .22LR).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Believe it or not, illegal and unregistered machine guns are now worth LESS than the legal variety! Here is a legal/licensed Thompson that recently sold for around $20K: http://www.impactguns.com/store/MGT-S-499168.html
Heck and that's just a Savage/Bridgeport. A 1921 Colt is untouchable for less than $30k, and $40k is quite common.
Originally Posted by JustinW
A good investment if you aren't afraid of doing some time in the federal pen.
devil.gif
I think there was an amnesty in 1968, but after that it couldn't have been registered. Obtaining the license is a major hassle, but not really difficult.

Yep, if it wasn't registered, there is no opportunity to register it since the Amnesty (coincident with the McClure-Volkmer Act in '86, I think) there hasn't been an opportunity to register any machineguns in the U.S. The supply is finite. I think some unregistered Thompsons have managed to get transferred to museums on ATF Form 10s, but that is very questionable as posseession is a major felony. ~ H

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on an ACR vs. a high-end AR (specifically, a KAC SR-15 E3)?

My dad's decided he wants to buy my M&P15 MOE for himself. Thanks to winning a roto baseball league, I could go $2k-ish on my ultimate 5.56 rifle.

Uses - carbine classes, 3-gun competition if I ever get the time, target shooting at the range out to 100-150yds. Not really concerned about self-defense.

ACR - it's new, fun, looks like I could be playing HALO, etc., folding stocks are always a treat
SR-15 E3- universally acclaimed 1/7 barrel rather than the ACR's current 1/9, probably more accurate, has pretty much every part one might desire on an AR already, would run $3-400 cheaper.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ Personally I think the ACR is overpriced for the value of the product. However, if you go that route I would wait a few months until the ACR Enhanced is released. It too will be overpriced (IMO) but it has some significant upgrades over the ACR Basic.

If I were you, I'd build a high-quality rifle from parts. I've always liked "doing it yourself".
smile.gif

- Bravo Company M4 upper ($385)
- Bravo Company auto BCG and charging handle ($130)
- Lower receiver (doesn't matter what brand, you can get a Spike's for $100)
- Rock River Arms lower parts kit ($80)
- Geissele SSA-E 2-stage trigger ($200)
- VLTOR clubfoot modstock kit ($150)
- Magpul MOE handguards ($30)
- Magpul MIAD grip ($35)
- Troy rear BUIS ($120)
- LaRue LT110 EoTech mount ($120)
- EoTech 512 ($380)
- Viking VTAC sling ($40)

Total: $2,020

Edit: I see the SR15 E3 comes with a quad rail but lacks optics and mount. You can swap in a Daniel Defense 7.0 Omega rail for $280 and remove the Magpul MOE ($30) if you want something that basically comparable. That brings you to $1,770 without optics or the LaRue mount. Basically the same cash for a similar rifle but IMO you have more pride in your rifle because you assembled it yourself. I'd also put dollars to donuts that the Geissele SSA-E trigger is better than the KAC trigger.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Building is another option, though that would be where I get more experimental.

The Enhanced ACRs have been on shelves for a little while - locally they run $2300ish, about $200 more than the basic. Well worth it for the rail system and folding stock, IMO. Not that the gun itself is worth that... but it is cool looking.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like the .50BMG muzzle break most bolt actions and semi-autos use, WTF

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've started ordering parts for a new and cool project to be revealed later!
colgate.gif

So now begins the fire-sale so I can afford all this. For starters I'm getting out of the AR game and selling my retro A1 clone.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diy Fal?

EDIT: Imagine those in all caps and it makes more sense. Apparently Styleforum has anti-'shouting' coding.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Diy Fal?

EDIT: Imagine those in all caps and it makes more sense. Apparently Styleforum has anti-'shouting' coding.

12 gauge RPK-style squad automatic shotgun
smile.gif

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Diy Fal?
Used to be an economical option but now that the cheap Imbel FAL parts kits have dried up, I don't think they're a good deal. I remember buying those parts kits for $99 (and less) "back in the day". Edit: RPK style shotgun? This I gotta see!
smile.gif

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I need some opinions on my upcoming winter project....

I like to rebuild, reblue, restain older break action shotguns every winter as a hobby. I am considering moving up to an antique rifle this year but I wanted some ideas/opinions/experiences.

Option 1:
1895 Chilean Mauser in 7.62x51
I can pick up the rifle in 'ok for its age' condition for close to $100. From my shotgun experience's POV, I would strip the rust, sand down the pits a fair bit, reblue the barrel and action and finally strip and stain the stock. HOWEVER, these antique rifles have serial numbers everywhere. Is it a sin if in the process I sand down the serial number in the stock?

Option 2:
Mosin Magant 91/30 in 7.62x54
This rifle is a great condition, however it has a painfully awful finish on the rifle. Again, strip, sand and restain job here.

I want to keep the wood stocks. No sissy polymer on these bad boys =))

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've done a restoration job on an old Mosin - mostly just stripping, soaking-off 60 years of cosmoline and then oiling and treating the stock. But at the end of the day, well .... it's just an old Mosin. I love restoring old military rifles - but it's a lot more fun if it was once a well crafted, quality rifle that you are restoring.

An 1895 re-chambered to to 7.62x51???? I restored an old Spanish (Civil War veteran) 7mm Mausser carbine (of the sort that were later re-chambered to 7.62 NATO). Lots of fun - though I was never successful at completely straightening the warped stock - so the sword bayonet hung at 11 o'clock!

You really should try to save all the markings and cartouches. Start by using acetone and paint stripper to remove unwanted material. I use an iron to steam-out small dings and scratches. Sometimes putty mixed with scrapings from inside the stock for filling bigger gauges. Then on with the BLO or Tung Oil. Leave the sandpaper and wood stain for the old shotguns.

Post some pics and enjoy!

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably go Mosin if I wanted a shooter - I don't trust rifles rechambered for higher pressure rounds than they were designed for.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would like to get something in a .338 lapua next year, assuming I can find a place to actually use it, to a reasonable degree. I've always wanted a big caliber rifle (biggest I own now is 8mm) to shoot at long distances, but haven't found a place yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics