Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. milosz

milosz Senior member

Dropping a check in the mail to start a custom order/layaway with George at migunslingers.com -
    Nighthawk Talon II in 9mm, no bobtail
    long solid trigger
    10-8 rear sight, tritium front with white outline

I love his layaway program - 12 months, starts for $100 even on custom orders. I figure it will take Nighthawk eight weeks (minimum) to finish the gun, that gives me time to sell some stuff and pay off most of it without dipping into my real cash or using a credit card.

Plus, no 8% sales tax on $2700.

2. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I thought about the micro DE but the trigger pull shitty, but that's my problem with most guns in that category. The pull feels like it's half as long as the gun

Yeh, I think it's just something you have to deal with when shooting these little DA pocket autos.

I've heard that the Rohrbaugh .380 has a better trigger pulll ... but you would hope so at $1,100!

3. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Yeh, I think it's just something you have to deal with when shooting these little DA pocket autos.

I've heard that the Rohrbaugh .380 has a better trigger pulll ... but you would hope so at $1,100!

Yeah I've never messed with one but I would expect a lot out of a pocket gun that goes for over a grand. The Sig P338 and that S&W bodyguard are on my radar right now

4. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

^^ I've been trying to get the Kahr PM9 to work as a pocket gun. I don't know why I can't get it to work. I've been using a S&W Airlite titanium for the last few years; the Kahr is about the same size, holds more cartridges and has night sights to boot. I can't figure out why I can't warm up to it. Probably been shooting wheelguns too long.

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

Heres a few toys...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Yeah I've never messed with one but I would expect a lot out of a pocket gun that goes for over a grand. The Sig P338 and that S&W bodyguard are on my radar right now

You've probably seen it, but I still love this little chart:

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

I wish they would add the Sig 232

7. cahlersmeyer

cahlersmeyer Senior member

General Quesion, what is the SMALLEST pistol you have carried/would carry/would even think of carrying?

8. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

General Quesion, what is the SMALLEST pistol you have carried/would carry/would even think of carrying?

If we're talking caliber, I'd rather have more gun than a .380 if the shit ever hit the fan but who wouldn't? The thing is you never know. As much as I'd love to carry a commander size 1911 all the time it's just not practical. I think that if you need to carry a VERY concealed handgun, the .380 is good. You can't really get a much smaller frame that what they make for a lot of .380 pocket guns and still be functional

9. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

The smallest one I've actually carried was chambered in .32 ACP. This was before the proliferation of micro .380 ACP autos; back then the Seecamp was considered the Rolex of pocket autos and there wasn't much else. Then NAA came out with their Guardian in .32 ACP and others followed (KelTec P32, Beretta Tomcat, etc.).

These days, I don't think I'd go below .380 ACP, given what is available on the market. For just over $250 you can get a brand new Kel-Tec P3AT. Spend another $120 to add a Crimson Trace laser on it (because the sights on the Kel-Tec are reprehensible), another $30 on a DeSantis pocket holster and you've got a halfway decent setup. You'll need to test it for reliability and do the "fluff and buff" mentioned on KTOG.org, but it's not a bad compromise.

I know it is marginal (at best). But some gun is better than no gun. [​IMG]

10. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Smallest pistol: .380 Kel-Tec P3AT & S&W 340CT .357 magnum

Smallest calibre: I'm quite happy with 13 rounds of .380 +P for my daily carry (BDA).

11. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Beretta Tomcat .32 auto. But I broke that with Hydrashocks. So, it's back to the SW 640 and Springfield XD subcompact in .40.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Back in the late 60's, when my two older brothers were born but I wasn't yet, my Dad bought a .38 from a guy who had some guns in the back of his car (this is Texas, remember). He also had a fully functional Thompson machine gun with a barrel clip which he was willing to sell for $80! When I was first told that story, I asked my Dad why he did not take that opportunity, and he replied that he simply did not have that money back then - he only had the $5 for the pistol.[​IMG] I know that he was making less than $4,000 as a teacher when I was born. I wonder how much such a gun would go for on the black market?

13. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I wonder how much such a gun would go for on the black market?

Believe it or not, illegal and unregistered machine guns are now worth LESS than the legal variety!

Here is a legal/licensed Thompson that recently sold for around $20K: http://www.impactguns.com/store/MGT-S-499168.html

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Believe it or not, illegal and unregistered machine guns are now worth LESS than the legal variety!

Here is a legal/licensed Thompson that recently sold for around $20K: http://www.impactguns.com/store/MGT-S-499168.html

Interesting. It wouldn't have been a bad investment, and I'm sure that it wouldn't be that hard for him to have gotten it registered and obtained a license to own it.

15. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Interesting. It wouldn't have been a bad investment, and I'm sure that it wouldn't be that hard for him to have gotten it registered and obtained a license to own it.

A good investment if you aren't afraid of doing some time in the federal pen. [​IMG]

I think there was an amnesty in 1968, but after that it couldn't have been registered. Obtaining the license is a major hassle, but not really difficult.