1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

That seems a bit long for carry TieC [​IMG]

I was going to get a Ruger 22 but I've heard they are a bitch to clean. Got a Browning Buckmark instead.

I bought a holster that straps to my shlong. I am reading that they are hard to clean at first and figure out, but once you do, you can take them down in 20 seconds. So whatever, they came recommended by many people I talked to and people in this thread iirc.

2. j

j Senior member Admin

I don't find the Ruger hard to clean at all. I have the 22/45 (5" blued bull) and I cleaned up the action a little bit - it's extremely smooth now. Search around for a forum for them, they have all the info you could want. Pulling it apart and at least finding the parts that you touch up to smoothe it out will be educational as well.

Very fun and easy to shoot.

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

As I stated on this thread before, I've own a Mark III for ages and have been extremely satisfied with it. I'm sure you will be, too.

I assume when Homer J says "Ruger 22" he means the 22/45 and not the 10/22 but in owning both I've never found either hard to clean.

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Just something I've heard about Ruger 22 pistols. And the 22/45 is a bit different, more of a 1911 style grip from what I understand. Here's my little guy. [​IMG]

5. j

j Senior member Admin

The 22/45 has the controls in a similar location to the 1911, and the same grip angle. I think the field strip is similar, but I could be wrong.

Nice Browning.

6. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Alright, finally got around to taking my test. Kind of annoying since the gun shop 3 blocks from my place went out of business so I had to go into the Hood. I picked up a Ruger Mark III 678 22 Calibre:

In all black since that is what they had.

Good choice! I must have missed this thread...

You followed good advice on starting with a .22, assuming you aren't in dire need of a protective firearm right-this-second. It is extremely cheap to shoot so you can practice well......as much as you have time for, honestly! It also has less recoil and noise to start you off with a nasty flinching habit, and it will allow you to build proper firearm form and handling without dealing with the annoyances of larger caliber guns.

Good choice on weapon, though I have also heard they can be a bit of a pain to get used to stripping. Once you get pretty good at it, you may want to consider tossing a decent red-dot sight on it and see just how accurate you can be with it at longer distances.....you may be surprised if you have a steady hand [​IMG] I have a small cheap crappy .22lr revolver and a Browning Buckmark Silhouette, and I have to say they can be my favorite handguns to fire!

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I bought a holster that straps to my shlong. I am reading that they are hard to clean at first

[​IMG]

Maybe we should start a whole new thread with people's proposed punchlines for this set-up.

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

[​IMG]

Maybe we should start a whole new thread with people's proposed punchlines for this set-up.

Might eat up too much bandwidth for the server [​IMG]

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

[​IMG]

Colt 1911, 45, the 'Ultimate Bright Stainless Steel" finish. Galco Miami Classic. Kilgour, French Stanbury 3-pc.

10. SieurDeLaSalle

SieurDeLaSalle Senior member

I purposefully left any race out of it. I see how your mind works though. Maybe you can have them work in one of your factories for 10 cents an hour. Can fax them the paperwork on the way to your La Raza meeting.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I'm going to try my hand at squirrel and rabbit hunting next year with the .22

Now for something bigger

[​IMG]

Sig 220R with Insight M3 and Surefire G3

12. Kengs

Kengs Senior member

Like Jan (Libourel) stated, a properly designed 9mm HP load (say 124gr. +P) will more than suffice for self defense.

IMO, the boxo'truth is entertaining, but no substitute for real-world tests with 10% ballistic gelatin (and layers of denim).

Here's an oldie, but still one of my favourites: S&W Mod. 27, 8 3/8" barrel
    [​IMG]

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I'm going to try my hand at squirrel and rabbit hunting next year with the .22

Now for something bigger

[​IMG]

Sig 220R with Insight M3 and Surefire G3

Easy to follow recipe

14. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Easy to follow recipe

I love that lady!

$40 for a combined fishing/small game license in Colorado (includes upland birds) [​IMG]

15. Abudeeba

Abudeeba Well-Known Member

Well, the time has come where I have decided to purchase my first firearm. I'm looking at a 9mm Beretta pistol. What kinds of guns do you all have and which would you recommend for a first timer?

All the opinions! Okay, here's mine: As a first time gun owner, you can't go wrong with the simplicity, ease of ownership, and low cost of an Automag.[​IMG]

16. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

Currently have a Baretta Mod 7 9mm, a cheap .22LR, and a .60 caliber flintlock pistol (relic and curio). Sadly I don't get to shoot much any more, but I plan on fixing that.

At some point I'm going to custom build a .308 match grade long range "sniper" rifle, but I'm unsure which gun to use as the base. And probably custom build a 1911 match grade pistol, unless I can find an actual WW2 era Colt model. It'd be nice to get an actual surplus M1 Garand, cosmoline and all, but holy hell are they expensive (easily $3000+).

Too bad I live in a particularly anti-gun portion of Commiefornia, or I'd get fun things like a machine gun, .50 caliber Barrett, a Thompson, and other such fun items.

17. Jason762

Jason762 Senior member

It'd be nice to get an actual surplus M1 Garand, cosmoline and all, but holy hell are they expensive (easily $3000+).

I can find them for about $ 600 in useable condition. Those $ 3000+ ones are collector grades, and even those can be found for cheaper.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

18. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

All the opinions! Okay, here's mine: As a first time gun owner, you can't go wrong with the simplicity, ease of ownership, and low cost of an Automag.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surprisingly, my Backups have never given me any trouble...

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

[​IMG]

I can find them for about $ 600 in useable condition. Those $ 3000+ ones are collector grades, and even those can be found for cheaper.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

This is true. I've been to the CMP store at Camp Perry a few times, and its pretty sweet. However, you do need to satisfy certain requirements to purchase -- have had some training, participate in shooting, etc. They have a new shipment so its probably a great time to buy from the CMP. They have .30 M1 Carbines also!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surprisingly, my Backups have never given me any trouble...

Meh, I think he means the TDE Automags. But I'll agree, I've never had problems with the .30 Carbine, 9mm Win. Mag, or 22 Mag variants. Neat pieces, if a little weak in the fit and finish department.

~ Huntsman

20. Kengs

Kengs Senior member

^ is that a Colt Police Positive?