Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Bucking the trend, the East Timorese Defense Force recently adopted the 1911 as standard military sidearm (thanks to a kind donation from the USN). While I like the .45acp round, I've never been a big fan of the 1911 - though I have also never carried one.

nothing beats free guns.

in colombia they use the Galil, which they don't use in israel anymore, and I grew up on. I always get a kick out of seeing them around. great weapon, a little heavy, but a very good weapon.

2. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

nothing beats free guns.

Heheh, during the war we had a bunch of 60s-era M16A1s, SKS's, FNCs and Minimis - all free ... though their previous owners sometimes paid a higher price.

in colombia they use the Galil, which they don't use in israel anymore, and I grew up on. I always get a kick out of seeing them around. great weapon, a little heavy, but a very good weapon.

I've never fired one. You're not tempted to get a civilianized ex-IDF Galil in the US?

Funny, I get a similar kick out of seeing SMLE Mk1s, SLRs (FALs) and G3s still in service. I was watching some footage from Venezuela and was surprised to see they had FNCs.

3. globetrotter

I've never fired one. You're not tempted to get a civilianized ex-IDF Galil in the US?

I am very tempted. very tempted. very tempted. first, I hate to say this, but I think I would just about come to fire one again. I spent the best years of my life with one as an extention of my hand, and it would be a huge rush to have one again.

second, if I every did want a firearm for houshold protection, it doens't get much better - 5.56, but as robust as a AK-47, with a nice folding stock so it folds up small.

but, on the flip side, I don't think I need one, and I also dont want to sit around the house holding it and remembering good times. I am not that kind of guy (I like to tell myself)

4. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

but, on the flip side, I don't think I need one, and I also dont want to sit around the house holding it and remembering good times. I am not that kind of guy (I like to tell myself)

I told myself the same thing for about 11 years before accepting the sad truth, embracing it and started watching TV with a beer in hand and a G3 in my lap. [​IMG]

5. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

ok, that probably makes sense. I'd still prefer to use a personal weapon that was newer, although I feel more secure with older revolvers than older automatics. we used to get 20 year old m-16's and they would be given to artillary people and other people who didn't really need personal weapons.

we did have a lot of 60 mm mortar tubs and 50 caliber machine guns that we wwii era, but they were used mostly for training, and they are pretty robust.

I was thinking that carrying a 50 year old pistol in combat was maybe a sentimental thing, not what was issued but a father's or grandfathers weapon.

or that if the military is issuing people 50 year old handguns to take into combat, I'd question if that is the best way for them to be saving money. I would hope that I would be issued with the best possible tools for the job, not stuff that I didn't trust.

but I might be paranoid - I have fired a 1911, but never carried one. and the IDF isn't a big fan of 1911s.

My unit missed getting the 92F before we shipped out... we weren't too happy.. but it worked fine and saved my ass .. that in my books makes it a great weapon [​IMG]

6. globetrotter

it worked fine and saved my ass .. that in my books makes it a great weapon [​IMG]
    yes it des

7. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior member

Bucking the trend, the East Timorese Defense Force recently adopted the 1911 as standard military sidearm (thanks to a kind donation from the USN). While I like the .45acp round, I've never been a big fan of the 1911 - though I have also never carried one.

CAG, TSS, CIF and other Tier one assets are.

8. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

CAG, TSS, CIF and other Tier one assets are.

Is this a complete sentence? [​IMG]

So I was sort of (mostly) joking about beer, G3 and remembering the good old days (I don't think I've pulled a rifle out of the safe in 6 months) ... but I was offered a retro AR lower receiver on the weekend, free. So I'm thinking about getting this, to complete it: http://www.gunthings.com/ar15.htm Probably won't get it - far more sensible things for me to waste money on - but it is tempting.

9. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Are there any decent ones that aren't astronomically expensive? The "Golan" is made by Century International Arms, and I wouldn't trust them further than I can throw them.

10. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Are there any decent ones that aren't astronomically expensive? The "Golan" is made by Century International Arms, and I wouldn't trust them further than I can throw them.
    Yeh, I think there were some recalls or serious issues with those CAI "Golans". [​IMG] But didn't ORF put out some Galils? I know they are still making receivers of various types for the Galil kits, so you could always DIY (assuming whoever is making barrels is also selling them retail). EDIT: ORF are selling receivers and barrels: http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-b...6.18220*QC23l1

11. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

12. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

or that if the military is issuing people 50 year old handguns to take into combat, I'd question if that is the best way for them to be saving money. I would hope that I would be issued with the best possible tools for the job, not stuff that I didn't trust.

but I might be paranoid - I have fired a 1911, but never carried one. and the IDF isn't a big fan of 1911s.

I had no idea that 1911s were being used in Gulf War I, but they certainly were in Iraq II. I think I read they were issued to tank and/or helicopter pilots. The 1911 platform has been readopted by some in the spec-ops world as well on a limited basis (granted, some operators can basically pick whatever they want).

In this picture, from Saddam Hussein's capture, it's clear that right alongside the M4s, Aimpoints, kevlar, and night-vision googles is a 1911 on the chest of a full bird colonel. The Army probably hasn't bought any new ones of those since Vietnam (if not the 1950s); meaning that particular gun was probably rebuilt multiple times, was probably put into full storage with the coming of the Beretta M9, and only taken out and reissued within the last ~10 years.

[​IMG]

13. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

I had no idea that 1911s were being used in Gulf War I, but they certainly were in Iraq II. I think I read they were issued to tank and/or helicopter pilots. The 1911 platform has been readopted by some in the spec-ops world as well on a limited basis (granted, some operators can basically pick whatever they want).

In this picture, from Saddam Hussein's capture, it's clear that right alongside the M4s, Aimpoints, kevlar, and night-vision googles is a 1911 on the chest of a full bird colonel. The Army probably hasn't bought any new ones of those since Vietnam (if not the 1950s); meaning that particular gun was probably rebuilt multiple times, was probably put into full storage with the coming of the Beretta M9, and only taken out and reissued within the last ~10 years.

[​IMG]

great picture! I'll try and find one of my old pics.. we had just gone through Basra.. I took an old side holster and rigged a shoulder mount and carried my sidearm just as the col has. Makes it much easier to access when in the humvee

14. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

But didn't ORF put out some Galils? I know they are still making receivers of various types for the Galil kits, so you could always DIY (assuming whoever is making barrels is also selling them retail).

EDIT: ORF are selling receivers and barrels: http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-b...6.18220*QC23l1

I am not sure but I think ORF had some quality control problems, most notably with their FAL receivers and kits. I was looking for an Imbel FAL receiver a number of years back and heard about their FAL receivers. The reports were mixed so I decided to wait and buy a DSA rifle instead.

FYI I heard one of the principals of ORF recently passed away. I don't know what effect that has had on their business.

15. milosz

milosz Senior member

The US military didn't purchase any 1911s from 1945 until the early '00s. Until recently, even Delta/etc. were rebuilding on (relatively speaking) ancient frames. That changed with the MEUSOC program and a couple of other test initiatives - but I don't think there's been a mass purchase (more than a couple hundred) since the end of WWII.

Larry Vickers (former Delta, 1911 gunsmith, now an instructor/writer/etc.) has come to recommend the HK45 if you want a .45 pistol (nb: he gets paid handsomely by H&K to do design/test work), presumably a P30 if you want a 9mm, also a fan of the S&W M&P and Glock 17 (but not the .40 or .45 Glocks) IIRC.