Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

a close up vert. grip is good for room clearing and clearing your way up a stairwell. it gives you quick target acquisition and quick muzzle direction changes (multiple targets, etc). pretty much useless long range IMO, but in confined areas its great.

When I moved my grip forward, I found that I was able to drive the weapon a little bit better towards different targets. May not make as big of a difference if you are using a short handguard, but a VFG or AFG forward mounted on a rifle handguard vs rear mounted on a carbine handguard is huge difference, at least to me.

2. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

That's awful. Was that the SAR show?

Yes, it was. It was ruled a suicide. Guy was from Maryland (not Florida, as originally reported). Went into the show, bought some shotgun ammo and killed himself with a shotgun in the parking lot. The guys who were parked near the incident said the scene was quite gruesome.

I heard someone "walked off" with a suppressor on the first day (Friday) of the show. Hope they got it back. I'm sure the ATFE doesn't like to hear about C3 items being stolen.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

4. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

Now those are my kind of rifles. The 7mm on the Argentine Mauser action is a lovely piece of work. Is that a see-through mount you've got on it? What's the scope?

Thanks.
    The scope mount is a true claw mount. Claw mounts are expensive to have mounted (not an easy job) but once they're on, you've got a super looking, really solid, ultra convenient, ultra traditional mount. The scope comes off fast leaving you with clean, attractive bases on the action. It's horses for courses - there are lots of quick release mounts, but I couldn't bring myself to build up that rifle and put modern mounts on it. Really glad I did - "you only cry once" as they say. The scope on the Mauser is a fixed power Weaver - just a plain Jane simple, dead-dependable scope that is super bright and looks wonderful on the gun. I'm done with adjustable scopes.

5. legit

legit Well-Known Member

I once saw a presentation with dozens of pictures of people who had shot themselves with shotguns n the face (long story). very nasty wounds

I've got nothing but time. I'm curious how this went about

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I've got nothing but time. I'm curious how this went about

I was at a medical conference, in a pretty dull subject, where a lot of the attendees were trauma surgeans and er docs. a young woman came to speak after lunch about something. she started off by saying "I know that I was given a really bad time slot because I am young and not very famous, and that people tend to doze off after lunch, so I thought that I would use some graphics to keep you all awake. she then proceeded to show a whole deck of slides of people who had shot themselves in the face with shotguns, totally unrelated to her talk. it was actually a very effective tactic. very grusome.

7. legit

legit Well-Known Member

I was at a medical conference, in a pretty dull subject, where a lot of the attendees were trauma surgeans and er docs. a young woman came to speak after lunch about something. she started off by saying "I know that I was given a really bad time slot because I am young and not very famous, and that people tend to doze off after lunch, so I thought that I would use some graphics to keep you all awake. she then proceeded to show a whole deck of slides of people who had shot themselves in the face with shotguns, totally unrelated to her talk. it was actually a very effective tactic. very grusome.

Interesting tactic there. At least it was a medical conference; I'm sure you could find some inappropriate places to attempt this. [​IMG]

8. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Senior member

When I moved my grip forward, I found that I was able to drive the weapon a little bit better towards different targets. May not make as big of a difference if you are using a short handguard, but a VFG or AFG forward mounted on a rifle handguard vs rear mounted on a carbine handguard is huge difference, at least to me.

+1, it feels like I have more affirmative control of the muzzle, and it also helps keep me from flagging the barrel around corners. I grip the magwell when I get tired/lazy and need to keep the muzzle oriented a certain direction, but the odds of coming into contact are very slim.

9. milosz

milosz Senior member

Thumb over the top, driving the muzzle is the currently-taught tactical style, not just for three-gun games.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Interesting tactic there. At least it was a medical conference; I'm sure you could find some inappropriate places to attempt this. [​IMG]

Yes, I might try it at my next staff meeting..

11. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

I just finished putting this all together. A couple months ago I found this rifle almost being given away for free, covered in dirt and grime. The wood looked dinged up and disgusting, but it cleaned up pretty well. I refinished the wood and gently knocked off some of the corrosion. One of the handguard end pieces needed some black enamel (I'm not good at bluing). Action works perfectly, and the rifling is dark but still intact. [​IMG] End cost was much less than $100. Still shoots well, though probably not going to win any competitions for accuracy. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

So I went to buy a smaller case for this, since the case it came in fit the gun loose, and it was sliding around inside:

[​IMG]

Only problem was along with the case, I left with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I already had a classic Beretta 9 mm, but this was a .40 calibre, and I had not seen a Beretta with the poly frame. This is a very well-balanced, and surprisingly, ergonomic gun.

13. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

So I went to buy a smaller case for this, since the case it came in fit the gun loose, and it was sliding around inside:

Only problem was along with the case, I left with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I already had a classic Beretta 9 mm, but this was a .40 calibre, and I had not seen a Beretta with the poly frame. This is a very well-balanced, and surprisingly, ergonomic gun.

You'll love the Storm. I got a PX-4 chambered in 9mm, and it's one of the most comfortable shooting poly-guns I've experienced. In addition, it's incredibly reliable (1200+ rounds with no FTF....cleaned only once in that timeframe). One of the few faults I can think of, is limited accessories, and considerably expensive magazines.

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

You'll love the Storm. I got a PX-4 chambered in 9mm, and it's one of the most comfortable shooting poly-guns I've experienced. In addition, it's incredibly reliable (1200+ rounds with no FTF....cleaned only once in that timeframe). One of the few faults I can think of, is limited accessories, and considerably expensive magazines.

1200 rounds with one cleaning? Yikes, hope you are at least keeping the bore clean.. Looking forward to shooting this one next weekend, I only hope something else doesn't catch my eye while I am there..

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

The whole "going in for one thing and coming out with another" is a preal problem. Fortunately my tastes are so esoteric that it doesn't hapen often, but when it does.....

1200 round without a cleaning shouldn't even be a question. H&K's will go for 10k, fairly easily. And if you are shooting something C3, you can burn 1-5k rounds in an afternoon.

~ H