Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Some guy shot himself in the parking lot of the gunshow I attended on Saturday. I pulled into the parking lot shortly after it happened.

Link to story on Philly.com

In other news, I now have a voracious itch to buy a small 9mm derringer...

They're neat, but if you've never fired one before make sure you dry fire it before you buy. I shot a buddy's ADC (American Derringer Corp) .45 ACP derringer a few years ago. The (single-action) trigger pull was no less than twenty pounds. This is not an exaggeration. I don't know how anyone fires those things with any sort of accuracy.

2. milosz

milosz Senior member

If you get a derringer, buy Bond Arms.

I've got one with a .45LC/.410 barrel set and a .22 setup. I can keep everything in the 8 ring at 10 yards. .45 hurts.

3. ZackyBoy

ZackyBoy Senior member

Some nut has been paying me to carry one of these around lately.

[​IMG]

4. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Senior member

Thought about moving the vert grip farther forward? That close, you might as well be using the magwell.

5. ZackyBoy

ZackyBoy Senior member

Thought about moving the vert grip farther forward? That close, you might as well be using the magwell.

haha that's not mine specifically; but my grip is the same spot... causes no problems.

6. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

I'm in love with traditional bolt actions - preferrably pre-War. Here are my two babies, one newly made, one original.

[​IMG]

The top rifle is a R.F. Sedgley, made in Philadephia in the 20's. Sedgley was the "poor man's Griffin and Howe" and made lovely, serviceable sporting rifles on the 03 action. This one's a 30-06 and has the original Ziel scope, all pretty much mint. [​IMG]

The second is a 1909 Argentine Mauser I had built for myself by a gunsmith in San Antonio as a grad school graduation present to myself. 7mm Mauser. Took a nice buck on a friend's farm last winter. A better all around hunting rifle for everything up to grizzly I couldn't imagine. [​IMG]

7. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Senior member

haha that's not mine specifically; but my grip is the same spot... causes no problems.

What kind of grip are you using with it? Are you griping it like a broom handle/penis? A while ago I converted to a 3-gun style grip where the index and third finger and running along the bore axis, the thumb is pointing forward at the 11oclock and the fourth and fifth are pressing against the vert grip itself as more of a handstop.
    With that grip I find that the further forward you run the grip, the more control you have over your muzzle.

8. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

Never understood why people want the vertical foregrip so far back on the handguard, seems to defeat the purpose of having it. Have you ever used Magpul AFG? I switched to Magpul AFG and mounted a rifle length rail over low profile gas block and I really like it. Further out gives me a bit more control. I use a similar grip to you when I use a VFG though.

9. StopPolloition

You should try firing .357 Mag out of one of those S&W scandium alloy J frame models with the titanium cylinder and steel barrel insert. 12.7oz gun. I downgraded to loading it with .38 Spl because firing Magnum was too severe even for a carry only piece.

On a whim, bought one of these on the weekend:

[​IMG]

Only had one other revolver, a .38 special stainless Taurus. Love the Ruger, damn thing kicks like a mule, but solid firearm.

10. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

You should try firing .357 Mag out of one of those S&W scandium alloy J frame models with the titanium cylinder and steel barrel insert. 12.7oz gun. I downgraded to loading it with .38 Spl because firing Magnum was too severe even for a carry only piece.

So did I. I now cary Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P short barrel ammo in my 340PD. You don't sacrifice a lot of energy for the increased controllability in this case.

11. Patrician

Patrician Senior member

Somewhere in crazy Europe with all the naked girls
    Been reading a few pages and seriously, you carry your guns with you? WTF?!

12. Siggy

Siggy Senior member

Of course.

13. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

I had to lay off my gun bearer due to the economy.

It was a sad day as he handed back my Holland & Holland double for the last time. Sunny skies and plentiful game, my old friend. [​IMG]

14. StopPolloition

I use Federal Nyclad 125gr in 38 Spl. I considered some +P loads as well but they still seem a bit hot for me in an alloy frame. Maybe I just have weeny hands.

15. StopPolloition

It isn't terribly useful locked up in a safe, so yes, I carry it on me.