Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. dcg

dcg Senior member

I have a 22/45 and it's a lot of fun, accurate, easy to shoot, etc. Great deal. I like Sigs in general but I hear lots of bad things about the Mosquito. If the Walther 22 didn't have such awkward controls (IMO) I would have considered that.

That's too bad about the Mosquito. Oh well, can't say I feel too bad about crossing a gun with such a dumb name off my list. I actually had heard a lot of bad stuff about the P22 not long after its release; I wonder if they've resolved their issues (a lot of jamming, IIRC).

My buddy has declared me a sissy for looking at .22s. Meh. I just want something that I can learn on, shoot a lot for cheap, and develop good habits with.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I honestly didn't look any further into the P22 after I picked one up and worked the controls. One of the major benefits IMO of the 22/45 is that the battery of arms is the same as or similar to the majority of semi autos out there, so the habits you develop with it should translate to greater proficiency and familiarity with many guns. With the P22, you develop the habits that train you for... the P99? Not sure if there are any others but that wasn't a selling point for me.

3. Cid

Cid Senior member

I've been shooting long and short guns most of my life. My opinion is that for first pistols, starting with .22 is OK if you're more focused on target shooting than self-defense skills. I've seen many people start on 9mm with a self-defense focus and learn effective skills and habits.

When we were dating, my wife (and her family) were vehemently opposed to guns... until a serial rapist victimized several girls in nearby apartments. Confronted with the prospect of choosing to succumb or have a chance, she chose to learn how to shoot defensively. She started with my H&K USP .40 and was surprisingly accurate plinking targets at the range. After getting comfortable hearing the bang and dealing with recoil, she did relatively well in Defensive Shooting and CWP classes. Around that time, I got a H&K P9S 9mm - to this day, she prefers the .40 and it is in a GunSafe (readily accessible) in our bedroom. The P9S stays with me.

4. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

I bought the P22 a month ago, after making sure I got the recent manufactured one....as apparently it doesnt have any of the jammomatic features. Same with the new M&P 15-22 I got last week.

Will be taking both out when I have some free time too see.

Regards.

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

I've been shooting long and short guns most of my life. My opinion is that for first pistols, starting with .22 is OK if you're more focused on target shooting than self-defense skills.

I'm not getting into this with self defense as a goal, but to J's point above I think it'd make sense to choose something thats operation will translate well should I eventually progress to higher calibers.

I bought the P22 a month ago, after making sure I got the recent manufactured one....as apparently it doesnt have any of the jammomatic features. Same with the new M&P 15-22 I got last week.

Will be taking both out when I have some free time too see.

Regards.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Went and handled a few options last night (Buckmark, Ruger 22/45 and mk III, P22). P22 was actually the suggestion of the guy at the shop, as he felt it more versatile in the event that one would get into the various shooting sports.

Unfortunately it was a smallish shop and he did not have (nor had he heard of) the 22/45 RP. Think I may have actually preferred the handling of the mk III. I was surprised by how heavy the rugers were. Planning to go to a range and try a few options before I make a final decision.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

That's too bad about the Mosquito. Oh well, can't say I feel too bad about crossing a gun with such a dumb name off my list. I actually had heard a lot of bad stuff about the P22 not long after its release; I wonder if they've resolved their issues (a lot of jamming, IIRC).

My buddy has declared me a sissy for looking at .22s. Meh. I just want something that I can learn on, shoot a lot for cheap, and develop good habits with.

I have a P22 and have never noticed any issues with jamming. It's a recent model mind you, and the only bitch I have is the first cartridge in the magazine can be tricky to chamber.

7. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

The Mosquito is not a bad pistol, but it is very sensitive with what you feed it. If you run it with higher quality, high velocity ammunition such as CCI Mini-Mag, it generally doesn't have a problem except that occasionally it may not return fully into battery. The P22 I had was much more reliable than the Mosquito and would basically feed everything, surprisingly. The problem with these two previous pistols though, is that they are some weird zinc alloy slide and the barrel lockup is not very tight. It is great for plinking and will surpass the accuracy of most shooters, but it is not going to achieve anywhere near match grade accuracy. If you want something more accurate, you could look at Ruger 22/45, S&W 22A, or Browning Buckmark where the barrel is more stable (fixed).

Your friend who makes fun of you for looking at a .22 is probably the same kind of moron to says that a .45ACP will stop somebody with one shot and a 9mm is like a BB gun. A .22 is not something I would recommend that you carry for personal defense, but it definitely has its place in the collection for practicing fundamentals. Also, it helps many people with flinching and anticipation of the shot.

8. dcg

dcg Senior member

Your friend who makes fun of you for looking at a .22 is probably the same kind of moron to says that a .45ACP will stop somebody with one shot and a 9mm is like a BB gun. A .22 is not something I would recommend that you carry for personal defense, but it definitely has its place in the collection for practicing fundamentals. Also, it helps many people with flinching and anticipation of the shot.

At first I thought it was just some good natured joking but he seems pretty vehemently anti-.22. Says they're no fun to shoot. He used to own a few guns, but he told me he's settled down to just a pair of 9mm Glocks, having preferred them to everything else (I know he had a H&K USP .45 and Beretta 92).

I suspect I'll end up with some variant of a Buckmark, 22/45 or mkIII.

9. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

At first I thought it was just some good natured joking but he seems pretty vehemently anti-.22. Says they're no fun to shoot. He used to own a few guns, but he told me he's settled down to just a pair of 9mm Glocks, having preferred them to everything else (I know he had a H&K USP .45 and Beretta 92).

Well, if he's a good shot, then that's his business I guess. However, if his groups are terrible, you should tell him to practice with a .22 and rub it in. I just hope he's not one of those losers who has all this money to blow on the latest and greatest "tacticoolest" gear and guns, but has zero idea what to do with any of it.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

So Botach FINALLY sent me the Aimpoint Micro H-1 and it seems to work fine, but I have a question if anyone has experience with these, not really sure where to ask at the moment. The objective lens (? outer one) seems to be angled somewhat in its space. It is set deeper on the right side looking at it. Is this normal? Maybe for anti-reflective properties or something? Or did they send me a messed up one? They are awful at customer service so I thought I'd ask here first, it's the easiest place.

11. Siggy

Siggy Senior member

I think a lot of guys finally end up with just keeping their 9mm glocks, eventually getting rid of their other stuff. If I could only keep one I would also chose the G19 over my 1911's, HK's, Sigs and Berettas. As far as .22 pistols are concerned, the Buckmark, Ruger MkII (or III), and the Sig Trailside are excellent choices IMO.

12. Siggy

Siggy Senior member

So Botach FINALLY sent me the Aimpoint Micro H-1 and it seems to work fine, but I have a question if anyone has experience with these, not really sure where to ask at the moment. The objective lens (? outer one) seems to be angled somewhat in its space. It is set deeper on the right side looking at it. Is this normal? Maybe for anti-reflective properties or something? Or did they send me a messed up one? They are awful at customer service so I thought I'd ask here first, it's the easiest place.

I can't answer your question but Botach has a horrible reputation for customer service, so I really hope they didn't send you a f'ed up aimpoint.

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Went shooting for the first time in a long time, and took out the Buckmark Silhouette and ran it threw its paces. At least every 4-6 rounds, the magazine drops out the bottom... Damnit. In other news, I now have a voracious itch to buy a small 9mm derringer... [​IMG]

14. cahlersmeyer

cahlersmeyer Senior member

In other news, I now have a voracious itch to buy a small 9mm derringer...

[​IMG]

heard that.

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

On a whim, bought one of these on the weekend:

[​IMG]

Only had one other revolver, a .38 special stainless Taurus. Love the Ruger, damn thing kicks like a mule, but solid firearm.