• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a weird or good thing that you find out a new girl you are dating has a .38, P22, and a license to carry a concealed weapon...?

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Is it a weird or good thing that you find out a new girl you are dating has a .38, P22, and a license to carry a concealed weapon...?

That's kind of sexy(maybe a little scary if you piss her off). I wish I could get my wife to consider applying and carrying a concealed firearm.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score

actually its a really good thing IMO

Duff_Man

Reaction score

Just came

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
That's kind of sexy(maybe a little scary if you piss her off). I wish I could get my wife to consider applying and carrying a concealed firearm.

Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
actually its a really good thing IMO

I thought it was a bit strange at first but I guess I'm warming up to it. I think I may have to get a permit then to go shooting with her. She's really a girly girl by looks so it was a shocker the first time she mentioned it, just didn't expect it at all.

Originally Posted by Duff_Man
Just came

lol8[1].gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Permit? I don't know of any state where you need a permit just to shoot someone else's guns. Definitely go shooting with her though. I can't remember if you have frequented this thread much, but if you are new to shooting, I would suggest at least reading a bit about firearms safety and handling before going.

BTW, the correct answer is that you should feel safer, assuming you can confidently judge her not to be an insane/irrational/panicky/stalkery person.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Definitely not weird, but given what the women I see shooting at gun ranges look like, this deserves at least a
uhoh.gif

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Permit? I don't know of any state where you need a permit just to shoot someone else's guns. Definitely go shooting with her though. I can't remember if you have frequented this thread much, but if you are new to shooting, I would suggest at least reading a bit about firearms safety and handling before going.

BTW, the correct answer is that you should feel safer, assuming you can confidently judge her not to be an insane/irrational/panicky/stalkery person.

Not sure exactly, I've never been big into guns (even though I've inherited a couple). She mentioned that at the range I would need something and my friend who is big into the ranges also confirmed this. I'll find out more. I've fired guns before but only at people's homes, not at a range.

and yeah, if she is the stalkish type I'm screwed.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
This is my latest, a Colt Officer's Model Special, maybe the best .22 revolver ever:
officer1.jpg
and couple more:
mkIIIp1.jpg
Like my long guns I use these for target shooting and the occasional hunting trip only, as I prefer less than lethal means of self defense.

I've always liked your taste. ~ H

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Permit? I don't know of any state where you need a permit just to shoot someone else's guns.
You do in NY unfortunately. You can't even handle a handgun inside a gun store without a permit. CT seems more fuzzy on this. Some CT ranges require a permit to shoot handguns while others may not care.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
So what should I get as a first gun? A CZ? An HK? 9mm? There are a million things out there on the net about a first gun, but I'd love to hear a more focused explanation of what makes a gun a good first gun.

In general a good first gun should be in 22LR. It is the cheapest to shoot which is something you have to do a lot of to get really good. Because it's such a low recoiling round you tend to not develop any bad shooting habits too. Of course that's provided you have been taught good shooting form by a competent shooter. I've spent plenty of time unteaching people how to shoot because they bought way too much gun for their first gun. I do this by using a lowly 22 caliber rifle or handgun. The Ruger MKII is a good solid auto loader but if you prefer a revolver try to find a S&W K-22 target masterpiece.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
In general a good first gun should be in 22LR. It is the cheapest to shoot which is something you have to do a lot of to get really good. Because it's such a low recoiling round you tend to not develop any bad shooting habits too. Of course that's provided you have been taught good shooting form by a competent shooter. I've spent plenty of time unteaching people how to shoot because they bought way too much gun for their first gun. I do this by using a lowly 22 caliber rifle or handgun. The Ruger MKII is a good solid auto loader but if you prefer a revolver try to find a S&W K-22 target masterpiece.

I agree with this assessment. Get a .22 and begin with the basics, stance, grip, aim, eye dominance, etc.

Semi-autos I recommend:
Ruger MKIII
Kimber
Browning Buck Mark

Stay away from the P22 or others like it for awhile. I have one and i LOVE it, however it is prone to stovepipe until you learn more about ammo types and proper wrist alignment!

Welcome to the shooting community! PM me with any questions!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
You do in NY unfortunately. You can't even handle a handgun inside a gun store without a permit.
Wow, that's absurd.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe

eh, don't wish too hard for that. Mrs. Thomas has a concealed carry permit and it certainly changed things between us.

For instance - Kancho is now permanently off the table.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads