Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Go Taurus, you won't be disappointed. Great warranty (customer service is great, but that's from word-of-mouth...). I've handled many of their newer semi auto's and they are splendid guns. Was seriously contemplating picking up a newer Rossi .357 revolver a while back, which is supposed to be made in Taurus' factories.

The only thing I have to bitch about is the locking mechanism. Supposed to be foolproof, but I don't trust that shizzle. You supposedly can remove most of it and Dremel a part to delete that feature...I don't want a safety on my gun.

I have a Taurus .38 special that I bought in Texas almost 10 years ago, and the damned thing has a cylinder that "locks" after firing 5 or 6 times. Interesting thing is I don't notice the same thing when using hollow points, only solid ammunition. I keep meaning to bring it to a gunsmith to take a look, but I am lazy.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I have a Taurus .38 special that I bought in Texas almost 10 years ago, and the damned thing has a cylinder that "locks" after firing 5 or 6 times. Interesting thing is I don't notice the same thing when using hollow points, only solid ammunition. I keep meaning to bring it to a gunsmith to take a look, but I am lazy.
    I've heard that on some of the lighter .357s the recoil will pull the bullets out of the cases and after a few shots of LRN, that can lock up the cylinder. Don't know if that would happen with a .38 but it would make sense that hollowpoints would not exhibit the same problem. Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to go for a Smith 442 or Ruger LCR. From what I've read/heard, I don't think a .357 is going to be worth bothering with, especially for $300-ish more. The light ones sound like they are just too painful to practice with. Maybe someday in a bigger gun.

3. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to go for a Smith 442 or Ruger LCR.
    Both are great choices, I tend to be J-frame type of guy.....but Taurus has a pretty interesting poly revolver coming out. http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...ymer-revolver/ I'm not a plastic revolver fan, but this thing is pretty sweet looking.

4. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior member

Most likely in the hand or the in the cylinder stop bolt-both not that costly to fix.

5. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...ymer-revolver/

I'm not a plastic revolver fan, but this thing is pretty sweet looking.

Hmmm ... even wheelguns are going plastic now? Still half again the wieght of my S&W340 though..

A couple of years ago I came close to buying a lefty Charter Arms revolver: http://www.charterfirearms.com/commu..._southpaw.html

I decided the smoothness and shootability of the J Frame was more important than slightly more southpaw-friendly reloading.

6. Southern-Nupe

Hmmm ... even wheelguns are going plastic now? Still half again the wieght of my S&W340 though..

....blame it on Ruger, they were the first to develop the poly revolver, oddly enough the plastics aren't much lighter than an alloy J-frame.

I'm not looking to add another snubnose to the household, but that Taurus is pretty interesting looking, when compared to the LCR.`

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

8. Southern-Nupe

Just found this, but can't figure out how much it costs or anything: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...-bodyguard-38/ new S&W polymer .38+P in the same category as all the ones we've been talking about. Edit: Ayoob says MSRP $625: http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/Massa...how-day-one-2/
    Wow....I wasn't actually expecting poly revolvers to make a run for the market. I just naturally assumed Ruger was somewhat unique with the LCR, at no point did I figure others would follow suit.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I've heard that on some of the lighter .357s the recoil will pull the bullets out of the cases and after a few shots of LRN, that can lock up the cylinder. Don't know if that would happen with a .38 but it would make sense that hollowpoints would not exhibit the same problem.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to go for a Smith 442 or Ruger LCR. From what I've read/heard, I don't think a .357 is going to be worth bothering with, especially for $300-ish more. The light ones sound like they are just too painful to practice with. Maybe someday in a bigger gun.

Took it to the gunsmith to get fixed today. While I was there, I could not resist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Nice. 92's are really very well made pieces. I suggest a LaserMax laser for that....it replaces the guiderod and thus does not 'alter' the gun. The switch is in the takedown lever.

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Nice. 92's are really very well made pieces. I suggest a LaserMax laser for that....it replaces the guiderod and thus does not 'alter' the gun. The switch is in the takedown lever.

That may be the trip back, when I pick up the revolver they are repairing.. That or the .357 magnum I was admiring right before I saw the above.

12. rzarector36

rzarector36 Well-Known Member

Get the new Ruger SR9c!

13. milosz

milosz Senior member

Got to the range for the first time in a couple of weeks (thank you, horrible flu).

Got a chance to shoot a couple of my dad's new purchases - Sig P226 and the Ruger LCR. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the 226, I had a factory demo a couple of years ago that I couldn't get along with. The DA pull on this one was heavy but reasonable, follow-up shots were nice and crisp. I think I'll get a P229 down the road, the 226 felt a bit nose heavy.

The LCR is ridiculous. I have very large hands, so that may be part of the problem, but I couldn't get a controllable grip for multiple shots with it. I think I'm just going to have to accept that there's no such thing as a pocket gun I'll feel comfortable with.

14. Southern-Nupe

Took it to the gunsmith to get fixed today. While I was there, I could not resist:

That's a beautiful 92. It's good to see I'm not the only Beretta fan on the boards.

15. suited

suited Senior member