• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Guns are barbaric.
Arnold-Schwarzenegger---Conan-the-Barbarian--C10102051.jpeg
I look nothing like this man.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guns are barbaric.
The violence in them is no more than the violence we bring to them. I am a gentle man. ~ Huntsman

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
There are special bullets with off-set center. They are very bouncy and never come out where you expect them.

FWIW, I have never heard of "special bullets with off-set center." I don't claim omniscience about firearms matters, but that's a new one on me. How do they work? How would you get any accuracy from such a thing?

BTW, when I counseled the OP to start out with a .22, I was not advocating it as a self-defense weapon. It was mainly a learning tool. (And, they're always a lot of fun--and cheap--to shoot.)

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Speaking of guns. Do any of you gun collectors/aficionados have high quality images of guns from all eras? Either your own, or if you can link me to a website, it would be much appreciated. I need pics for my next painting. Thanks.
PM me a postal address, and I'll send you a disc I made a couple of years ago. It's got about 700 photos/jpgs, in no particular order. Mostly antique stuff, including blank arms, armour, and some militaria (helmets, uniforms, medals, etc.) They were mostly meant for arms collectors, so there are some odd details of markings/numbers and the like there. There's also sites like: http://armchairgunshow.com/

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guns are barbaric.

So, frequently, are people.

And ******* chimps. I just watched the Jungles Planet Earth episode and that chimpanzee battle gave me the ******* chills. Noble savages ****** Rousseau.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

whodini this guy shot a bunch of different guns to see their terminal effects. A 22 simply doesn't have much power behind it, its a 40 grain solid lead slug traveling at maybe 1100fps (subsonic) at the muzzle. A 9mm will be traveling at about 1300 fps (slightly above supersonic) and will weight at 124 gr to 148 gr. So the power difference is pretty big.

What a great site. I'll have to go through all of that later. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't shoot the locks (see the lock shooting page) at the shackle as well to see how they'd react.

I can tell you that a 230 grain JHP .45 will not go through a hard drive at point-blank range though. It makes a really big dent and bounces off somewhere. Since I don't know where it ended up or how fast it bounced off, I will not be re-testing that idea. Also, steel cased computers are resistant to birdshot but not buckshot or slugs, and have nothing on .308.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
What a great site. I'll have to go through all of that later. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't shoot the locks (see the lock shooting page) at the shackle as well to see how they'd react.

I can tell you that a 230 grain JHP .45 will not go through a hard drive at point-blank range though. It makes a really big dent and bounces off somewhere. Since I don't know where it ended up or how fast it bounced off, I will not be re-testing that idea. Also, steel cased computers are resistant to birdshot but not buckshot or slugs, and have nothing on .308.

Lol. Pissed off system admin? What made you shoot it at point-black? Sounds like it was a bad idea.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

That site really makes me want an AR-15.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Lol. Pissed off system admin? What made you shoot it at point-black? Sounds like it was a bad idea.
You remember the great SF crash of '05?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
This should convince you otherwise.

For comparison.

While I agree that AKs don't need too much maintainance, the AR15/Target 20 etc... is probably fine with just simple cleaning if you shoot it w/o a really high workload. I probably have about 2000-2500 total rounds fired in mine and I've cleaned it a few times but haven't had any issues to date.

Then again, if you're firing 1000 rounds per week, maybe it would require more maintanance, but unless you're a serious merc or range junkie, that may not be an issue.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I was going to ask why, and then I saw the links. yes, the AR-15 is a great weapon, unless you compare it to the AK family, and then it sucks.

Maintainance wise, perhaps. I think the M4 is more accurate with less recoil than the AK, especially when not stationary, if such things matter to you, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads