Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Yeah, they're pretty damn overpriced. The problem is finding an FFL to have the gun transferred in to.

I need to spend some more time at the range figuring out what's most comfortable. So far I've only ruled out the Glock 9mm which was too big for my hand.

You must have some midget hands cause I have small hands and my glock 9mm fits perfect. Southernnupe, I haven't actually bought ammo from them, but just a bunch of other stuff. As far as ammo, it really only makes sense to buy in bulk online.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You must have some midget hands cause I have small hands and my glock 9mm fits perfect. Southernnupe, I haven't actually bought ammo from them, but just a bunch of other stuff. As far as ammo, it really only makes sense to buy in bulk online.
    My hands are pretty big actually. I think its the distance from the back end of the grip to the trigger is too long. I always felt like I just had the tip of my index finger on the trigger as opposed to the whole pad. All my shots were pulling as well. Admittedly, I only shot about 30 rounds on it.

3. milosz

milosz Senior member

The XD series don't balance well, IMO. Top-heavy, I guess (don't care for Sigs or H&K, either).

9mm options I recommend:
    M&P9 - Interchangeable backstraps to help tailor the fit for your hand (which is true of the XDm as well, I believe?) are nice, and it just feels right to me.

the Glock 17 for large hands, the Glock 19 for smaller hands (the latter is their midsize option)

CZ 75B - all steel, heavy as hell, relatively cheap for a steel gun, light recoil with any caliber (due to weight), reliable. Maybe the best grip ergonomics around. I've heard the trigger can be hard to reach for smaller hands, though.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I ended up getting a bunch of 9 and some .22 from Cabela's. PMC Bronze is supposedly in stock @$11-12ish/50, we'll see if it ships for real though. There's a free shipping code for orders over $150: HOLIDAY9 IIRC. Hopefully we'll be a Cabela's affiliate soon [​IMG]

5. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Hopefully we'll be a Cabela's affiliate soon [​IMG]

Yeh!! [​IMG]

I had a Cabellas Visa Card for a couple years. I just traded my rewards points for an ACOG sight. [​IMG]

6. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Rambo, Glock is scheduled to debut an interchangeable-backstrap model at SHOT 2010. I am holding out for one when I get around to buying a Glock 17. I have two G19s and a G23 right now but I could use a slimmer grip!

7. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Thought some of you AR tactical rail boys might get a chuckle out of this photo from Afghanistan:

[​IMG]

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Rambo, Glock is scheduled to debut an interchangeable-backstrap model at SHOT 2010. I am holding out for one when I get around to buying a Glock 17. I have two G19s and a G23 right now but I could use a slimmer grip!
    Hmm. Have to keep an eye out for that. When's this SHOT thing? Anything else interesting being released?

9. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

When's this SHOT thing? Anything else interesting being released?

Big annual industry trade show: http://www.shotshow.org/

10. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

I'll be at the SHot SHow! It should be a good time!

I hate Cabelas.

11. Artigas

Artigas Senior member

Carrying handle riding on the underside of the handguard? Never seen that before.

12. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Carrying handle riding on the underside of the handguard? Never seen that before.

I've actually seen a few pics with carry handles riding on a side rail. The soldier/marine has signed for and is responsible for it, though doesn't need the handle/rear sight while he has the ACOG in place. So he attaches it to a spare rail for safe-keeping. [​IMG]

That pic came from this collection, which is well worth looking through:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...n-afghanistan/

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

This is going to be the next gun I'm gonna buy. Once I get it the sites will be changed out for something tritium and it'll get magnaported.

I found out real quick that I didn't like dragging around my Blackhawk in 357 mag in a backpack at 10,000 feet. Then there's the whole will a 357 mag kill a grizzly quick enough so I don't become bear dung thing too.

14. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

My Xmas wishlist includes a Red Jacket 12 gauge Saiga AK conversion:

[​IMG]

15. milosz

milosz Senior member

I'm looking for a nice Enfield Jungle Carbine. Letting my inner imperialist run free.

Also thinking about picking up a few other curio/relics with my 03FFL to take apart and restore.