Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. milosz

milosz Senior member

Happy birthday, mate! Congrat's on two cool rifles. Which receiver is on the VZ58?

The receiver says it's Czech, D-Technik, with the pressboard 'military' stock and fore end.

Next project is kind of goofy, but I can't help it - AR with a Spike's .22lr dedicated upper, tacticooled out. Spike's makes a fake suppressor that screws on to the flash hider threads. Something like this:

[​IMG]

2. dimsum

dimsum Member

[​IMG]

mmmmmmmmmmmm....sexy

3. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Very nice, milocz. I am looking to get a Spike's upper as well. I have been buying the BDM .22 LR 26-round mags in the meantime so I don't get blindsided by a high-cap mag ban.

I would love to get a SBR and suppress a .22 LR AR but that would be a lot of cash in tax stamps. [​IMG]

4. Kengs

Kengs Senior member

CQB sight prototypes arrived, needs to have a hole tapped for the elevation adj screw - and a tritium vial for the front sight and i need to find my damn Aimpoint... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Basically the concept is to employ 1911 pistol sights (with tritium) on a short barrel AR for CQB

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

So is that the 10.5" upper you were considering?

6. milosz

milosz Senior member

I don't get the advantage to using pistol sights in that way. If for some reason your optic is out of commission, standard AR sights are going to be perfectly usable at the ranges where small pistol sights wouldn't be laughably slow to use.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Fake cans fail.

8. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Started as a US-legal clone of my old service rifle, but I just added scope and hand-made left-handed walnut pistol grip.

[​IMG]

J Crew
    Rag & Bone
    FMP/JLD G3

9. Kengs

Kengs Senior member

I don't get the advantage to using pistol sights in that way. If for some reason your optic is out of commission, standard AR sights are going to be perfectly usable at the ranges where small pistol sights wouldn't be laughably slow to use.

most AR sights are peep/post and best suited for longer distance shooting - fine for a M4 or M16A2, but for a 10.5" CQB barrel, 1911 pistol sights offer pretty fast sight acquisition

and the 1911 sight allows for larger Trijicon tritium inserts - for instance, the front sight blade width for my prototype measures @ approx. 0.125" whereas the Troy is approx 0.07"

the Larue flip mount is not for this bottom-third cowitness; i am playing around with a lower profile setup to be used in conjunction with the flip mount - just testing some "out of the box" ideas.

10. Kengs

Kengs Senior member

So is that the 10.5" upper you were considering?

yes, it's a LMT 10.5" with a Larue 9.0 handguard

11. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Started as a US-legal clone of my old service rifle, but I just added scope and hand-made left-handed walnut pistol grip.

[​IMG]

J Crew
    Rag & Bone
    FMP/JLD G3

[​IMG]

On a different, but similar, note, every time I see a FAL I think of this poster:

[​IMG]

12. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

[​IMG]

On a different, but similar, note, every time I see a FAL I think of this poster:

[​IMG]

I got my first SLR (Australian FAL) in 1975:

[​IMG]

The webbing is my dad's USMC Viet Nam stuff, the super hero cape was from my mum. [​IMG]

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Started as a US-legal clone of my old service rifle, but I just added scope and hand-made left-handed walnut pistol grip. [​IMG] J Crew Rag & Bone FMP/JLD G3
    I've always wanted to shoot a FAL. On another note, on firearms forums people so often list out their collection in their sig (does not seem sensible to me) -- on SF, it's what you're wearing....

14. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I've always wanted to shoot a FAL.

G3's are better than SLRs/FALs, IMO. [​IMG]

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Justin, was that when you with with Ausralia or with Timor? how long ago was that?