1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ama

ama Senior member

Not in love after 100rds, but I got it dialed in pretty quick freehand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Are you in Minneapolis? I went to Stock & Barrel: I really liked it compared to other shooting range options in the area.

3. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Well Boys, I pulled the trigger ( literally and figuratively). I thought I was so happy with my M&P but this welcome edition is going to take me farther. Plus, I need the extra edge against, Mia.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. mimo

mimo Senior member

I see what you did there...

That's strangely pretty.

1 person likes this.
  5. ama

ama Senior member

Yes, much less scary than Bills. I am in Minneapolis.

6. suited

suited Senior member

I've been doing more camping and since I carry everywhere, I thought I might as well carry something in black bear territory that was capable of stopping one (in addition to spray). They're not much of a threat compared to brown bears, but they do maul/kill people, and I'm already carrying so it seemed prudent. After giving it a lot of thought I settled on a gen 4 Glock 20. I considered going the Ruger/Smith route in .44, but the Glock offered too many benefits and the capability of a 200 grain, flat nose hard cast round from a 10mm is very impressive.

Pros:
    -light compared to the competitors
    -easier to shoot accurately than a .44 revolver, at least in my experience
    -tame recoil compared to .44
    -robust, resistant to elements
    -magazine capacity
    -accepts the weapon mounted light I already own (I think a light is as important on a camp gun as it is on a home defense gun)

Cons:
    -not as classic as a Smith or Ruger revolver
    -a .44 magnum is just really fucking cool
    -ballistics not as impressive as a .44, but sort of moot for black bear

I pick it up today :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    2 people like this.
  7. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

nice!! i picked up an STI recently as well. gotta say its pretty fantastic.

8. MGWS

MGWS Member

I agree with your assessment. Especially if you already shoot semi-auto pistols predominantly then the muscle memory and manual of arms is already there. When you have 2 full mags of 220g Hardcast https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=160 you are pretty much covered or at least have a fighting chance. The Glock 20 does take it's toll on you when practicing though but aftermarket support is great.

1 person likes this.
  9. suited

suited Senior member

I went with Underwood ammo. Double Tap, Underwood and Buffalo Bore seem to have that market cornered. Here it is:

[​IMG]

Based on my research, the 200 grain hard cast rounds seemed to function flawlessly of the glock factory barrel. The 220/230 grain hard cast rounds were tumbling when Hickok45 tried them:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3 people like this.
  10. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Reminds me of the Bren Ten. Sonny Crockett, baby.

[​IMG]

11. ama

ama Senior member

Apart from it being ammo sensitive the Walther Q5 is pretty great. Don't love that it rattles so much, but apparently that's normal.

[​IMG]

12. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I finished my NRA certified instructor training for shotgun this weekend. It was pretty fun and easy. Now I will be able to work up at the shotgun range at scout camp this year actually doing shooting instruction instead of just admin and cleaning support.

1 person likes this.
  13. MGWS

MGWS Member

I'll throw in some toys.

The rifle is a KAC 11.5" SR-15 with a Aimpoint T2, Arisaka light, and SIlencerCo Saker Suppressor

The pistol is a HK VP9 with a X300u light and SilencerCo Osprey Suppressor

Lastly, I bought a flamethrower (XM42) because why not. I haven't used it yet but it's just fun to own.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I am amazed how common cans have become from 10 years ago. I think it is a combination of $200 not being that expensive anymore, use of supprssors in a lot of 3-gun shows on TV, and the widere availability of CNC equipment, which has taken a lot of thr complexity of the baffle stack out of the equation.

1 person likes this.
  15. MGWS

MGWS Member

I think what has helped was the spread of information and dispelling of misinformation as well. It was about 10 years ago I got into NFA stuff and every range officer wanted to see your form 1 or form 4 even though they had no idea of the validity of the document. Now no one cares and only some newer shooter will head over to my lane to take a look. It is so easy to buy a can with Silencer shop, Capitol Armory, and local shops. When I bought my first NFA item there was only 1 guy in town now almost every shop is into it so they have to be price competitive and actually have customer service. The increase in sales has really helped in the r&d department and the cans are getting quieter and lighter. The NFA world has really helped me in the realm of patience.

16. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I like the osprey a lot. I think it's my next suppressor. Unfortunately, Silencer Shop doesn't carry SilencerCo any more, and I already have all my information (and my brother's for the trust) in their system. I'm lazy, and that would have made life so much easier.

There is a dealer not far out of town that carries SilencerCo, so I could go there, but to get any benefits (have multiple owners, add trustees so my girlfriend can take care of them while I'm out of town or so I can keep them in the house after we're married, etc.) I'd have to bring my brother along.

17. MGWS

MGWS Member

http://www.capitolarmory.com/silencerco-osprey-9.html

They are running a $200 stamp rebate as well.

I really like the Osprey. It is real easy to time to the gun. The only thing I would recommend is to buy extra piston o-rings and maintain the booster after range days. I went too long in between maintenance and shredded the o-ring which disabled the weapon.

Are still going to use your trust for new purchases after 41f passing?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  18. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Yeah I actually only had an SBR app in pre-41f. And just put my post-41f application in for a SureFire 762-SOCOM-RC2. So I figure if I've already put the work in with Silencer Shop, it's annoying to have to do it all over again with a new shop because Silencer Shop and SilencerCo are going through a tiff.