1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

hmm. wonder how difficult that would be to make happen? would be pretty slick!

how ya like the hi power? i keep going back and forth on whether or not i should buy one.

2. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Ugh, I've been applying to jobs in the Chicago area, and the gun laws there scare me.

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I have two. A T series from the 1960s that is one of the nicest shooters I've ever had. I also have a MK III which is ok. My suggestion is to try and find a vintage T or C series. The new production models are fine, but they aren't anything special.

You should be scared. I moved here from Kentucky and the shock was terrible. I can't wait to move back to a free state.

4. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

IL gun laws are atrocious. come to the south.

i have my hands on a few t series. i was REALLY tempted by the nighthawk version but someone offered 2x the msrp.

5. Caustic Man

Something to drool over. The "good" hi-power (w/Esmeralda stocks). I've been curious over the Nighthawks but the price is a bit high considering you can have a T series for less.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

:nodding:

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Get me a cool job, and I'll move in a heartbeat. I'm tired of the winters in the land of 10,000 fees. The only thing we have going for us is our gun laws.

8. suited

suited Senior member

We're trying to get back to the winters. Tired of Florida heat. Considering the west, but Colorado is doubtful as I'm concerned about what the state will look like in 10 years with regard to cost of living and gun control. It's going blue. We looked at Nashville but we want a real winter.

9. Caustic Man

I may be biased by I would recommend Kentucky if that's what you want. You'll get some snow, but not often enough to get pissed off about it. The economy is growing really fast too. Not like Chicago (which is probably going to post a net loss in population in the next census, btw). If you want it even colder then I'd say Indiana.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Vis-a-vis exotic wood stocks for a Smith & Wesson L-frame square butt, the brothers Hogue offer their excellent Monogrip design in eight different exotic woods and laminates. My old friend Raj Singh of Eagle Grips has a variety of stock designs in rosewood and various exotic materials like buffalo horn. Altamont has grips in rosewood, "Bonded Ivory" and, I think, other exotic materials. Their grips cost a good deal less than the those of the two foregoing companies. I have no direct experience with the latter firm's products, but I believe they are OEM gripmakers for a number of handgun companies. That fetching lady Esmeralda does not appear to offer any stocks for DA revolvers at this time.

11. Caustic Man

Thanks for the reply. I have Eagle Grips for my two Ruger Bisley Vaqueros and I am strongly considering them for the 686. Most of their wood offerings are rosewood, however, and I'm not seeing much in the way of exotics for an L frame. I've looked at Hogue and I don't really like what I see. I've never been a fan of them, though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  12. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

typically i dont like hogue stuff either, but my shop had these and they were by far my favorite that ive handled.

[​IMG]

13. Caustic Man

Those are nice. I'm leaning toward tulipwood but as yet I haven't found any that I like.

14. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I grabbed a Hogue overmolded grip for my Ruger but it was only about 15 bucks. I like how it fits in my hand but it's certainly not the most aesthetically pleasing option.

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

What's the specific beef with Hogue Monogrips? All eight of my N-frame Smiths have worn Monogrips for many years, and I've always been very satisfied with them.

16. Caustic Man

For me, I just don't like their designs. The ones I've seen have been clunky, and wide. That's fine for someone with large hands I guess, but you can certainly get slimmer stocks out there. Besides that the aesthetics leave much to be desired.

17. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I think a lot of people just find them unattractive. I like mine just fine but have to admit that I drool over some of the exotic wood grips people post here.

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Are you referring to the finger grooves or what? I don't care much for the looks of any synthetic grips (rubber, fiberglass, whatever), but all my Hogue Monogrips are handsome exotics--rosewood, kingwood, cocobolo, Goncalo Alves, etc.

19. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I guess we're talking about different things. I meant the overmolded rubber grips. I'm not sure why anyone would take issue with the wooden Hogue grips and I don't have any personal experience with them.

20. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

I'll admit a modular optic system is kind of an over kill on my glock but it's fun as heck. I made a few very simple prototype holsters that worked well. Looking for new stuff for the Shot Show this year. This pic is them at the gun range and one for my personal carry, the 43.

[​IMG]