1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Le beau parleur

Le beau parleur Member

Haha no prblem. This is why we made you an independant country. :slayer:

:p

2. suited

suited Senior member

It's just a personal preference for me. I like the design of the glock and have never been a fan of the 1911's design, both aesthetically and function wise. A self defense scenario usually only involves a handful of rounds so the differences are muted, but if we are talking about taking a gun into combat I don't think there's any comparison between the two. I believe the SEALs just adopted the Glock 19 as their sidearm (although it's a preliminary report). I defer to the people who run reputable training schools and discourage students from using 1911 platforms in their classes, which can involve putting 1,000 rounds through a gun in a single day. Their advice is based on what they've seen after teaching thousands of students. Those guns just don't run as well under such scenarios. Granted, you could make a point that these classes don't reflect what you will encounter as a civilian.

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Use whatever you feel safe and comfortable with, I guess. I think that also applies to the questions about what kind of safety, whether to carry "one-up" or not, etc. I speak from no experience here, in that I've never lived anywhere that allows carrying of any kind. But it seems to me that in any scenario where you're actually justified in killing someone (the only reason to draw your weapon in public), you'd better be pretty deliberate and controlled about it. If that means a presentation that involves racking, cocking, or removing a safety, so be it. I accept the point that good trigger discipline and training are the heart of the issue, but dismissing someone else's preference for carry condition or the weapon in question, seems fatuous. Or someone's decision to carry or not, for that matter.

4. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

ive worked around some very knowledgeable fellas. guys with decades experience, guys who regularly train with vickers, servicemen, etc. Im a great listener. the one bit of information that ive taken away that IMHO is the only thing everyone can agree on is simply this...First rule of a gunfight.....bring a gun. Outside of that..caliber, wheel vs semi, 1911 vs hi cap 9mms...plastic vs steel.... in the end it doesnt matter as much as having one.

When i first started shooting, i loved polys. all my pieces were glocks and tactical shotguns. Now, complete opposite. revolvers and 1911s, O/U shotguns.... But i think i might pick up a glock this weekend again. Love em. Love 1911s. so glad i dont have to pick just one. :)

2 people like this.
  5. noob15

noob15 Senior member

Could I respectfully suggest you do some checking into Yeager's Bio. Not to say he doesn't have some interesting things to say, but just check into him.

On a side note about safeties, I switched to G19s primarily because of issues with my wrists. They just can't take the pounding of .45 any longer. I can shoot 500 rounds of 9mm and not feel anything, yet 200 rounds of .45 will leave me aching for days. Yet to this day, I swipe my thumb down to clear a 1911 safety during my draw. It really does come down to training and repetition.

And I would agree that on the average a 1911 will not make it through a high round class as well as a Glock might. Then again that does depend on the 1911 and the owner.

Choose your tools carefully and take care of them. And most important of course is practice, practice, practice and learn.

As always YMMV, IMHO, ETC.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Well, I went to quite a few "reputable training schools," mostly back in the '90s, including Gunsite, Front Sight and Thunder Ranch, and I never fired anything remotely close to 1,000 rounds a day. Frankly, that sounds pretty insane to me. I don't care how practiced or skilled a shooter is, after several hundred rounds, fatigue is going to set in and skill will deteriorate. That volume of fire sounds very counter-productive--unless maybe you were talking about a full-auto course, which isn't the case here. I've heard of 1911s firing 10,000 rounds non-stop without glitches or breakage. Heck, at the final service tests back in 1911 the Colt test pistol shot 6,000 rounds without a hitch. I suspect if 1911s are giving a lot of problems it has been because of tampering like too-tight accuracy jobs and such.

1 person likes this.
  7. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

I replaced my G26 with the G43. It's a perfect carry for the work place. I could almost forget about it and it hides well under a sport coat.

8. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

I had a bad time today at the range with said G43, maybe because it's too light. At 7-12 meters I was fine, right in the red of my target, but at 15 meters and up I could barely hit the paper. I'm not sure what in going wrong. I didn't have this problem with my .38 but don't want to use A wheel gun right now. Then after that messed with my confidence my shots were hitting the lower left when I pulled the target back closer.

9. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

First time out with the revolver yesterday. Shared a target with my son, who is 13. This was at about 15 yards. Also put a few magazines through my XD9. Very pleased with the results.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

3 people like this.
  10. mimo

mimo Senior member

Well, it's definitely dead.

2 people like this.
  11. suited

suited Senior member

To clarify, I've read and heard plenty about him. I mentioned Tactical Response strictly because of the number of students they train, which gives them experience in determining which guns do best during rigorous training classes. Certainly not saying that James or anyone at Tactical Response is the absolute best in the business.

The high round count is partially a marketing tool, I'm sure. There's certainly a perception that going through so many rounds must mean it's a thorough course, and it could be, but not if 500 of those rounds are under little to no supervision. It depends on how the class is structured and if it's 4 hours long or 12 hours with breaks. That high of a round count might not be productive in terms of developing one's skills, but could be a sort of torture test for a firearm - keeping in mind that a decease in shooting fundamentals due to exhaustion could produce some user-inflicted errors with the gun.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  12. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Has anyone trained at " Storm Mountain"?

13. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

so killing time at work and saw this. Come on man. MAKE THIS HAPPEN. :slayer:

14. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I'm thinking about joining a local gun club. I did the math and in order for it to make sense financially I'd need to go about once a week. It would be nice to have a place to shoot indoors and not have to drive up into the woods to shoot (although I'd still do that to shoot clays).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i would. a buddy of mine joined one and he's always telling me about the training classes they have. Really wish i had something like that near me.

1 person likes this.
  16. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

revolver guys.... have you checked out the new Kimber snubbie in .357?? looks amazing. Spoke to a friend last night whos at the shot shot this week....I guess it feels just as good as it looks. MSRP around 8-900 though.

17. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I did some more research and it turns out that the fee I thought was an annual fee is actually just a one-time fee. So the numbers make it more of a no-brainer if I'm going to go more than once a month. I expect I'll sign up the next time I go. :D The classes look good, and a 10 percent discount on ammo and accessories is nice too.

18. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

VERY nice!! Im really surprised there isnt one near me. Theres a sportsmans club that has a free range and a nice clubhouse with a stocked pond for fishing. but its close to a 90 minute drive for me.

1 person likes this.
  19. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I wouldn't want to be shooting outside right now, but I much rather shoot outside to inside.

1 person likes this.
  20. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I love shooting outside as well, but it's nice to have an indoor range to go to during the winter (or just when I want to swing by in the evening). I'll still head for the hills when I want to shoot clays or shoot longer ranges with my rifles. :D