1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

I find that the action shooting disciplines (USPSA/3gun etc) tend to have massive influence over the tactical shooters. The Costa grip has been used for a while in the 3 gun circuit because it allows for very fast driving of the weapon system (heh) from target to target. Likewise with the concept of having a red dot mounted secondary to a variable power primary optic. Or the slowly but surely trend towards pistols with red dots (albeit micro dots that are slide mounted into the rear sight dovetail).

The red dot on my pistol is indeed a Cmore mounted sideways. The sideways mount allows the dot to basically be at the same height as iron sights would be at. This means that I can go between pistols in different disciplines whilst maintaining the same muscle memory for indexing the gun.

That rifle is really something that has to be shot to understand how much we can control recoil. It kicks as much as my 10/22 does. Much louder though :slayer:

2. noob15

noob15 Senior member

Oh, no argument from me, though I'll point out that red dots were used by HSLD guys dating back to Vietnam and that's about as tactical as you can get.

A lot of "tactical" shooters would be loath to admit how much the so called "gamer" disciplines have contributed to their own version of the sport. I'm not one of them.

I believe you about the rifle. I just can't stand muzzle brakes despite what they bring to the game. The concussion from even 5.56 is unpleasant to me when you're in a solid structure.

I get a kick out of the cult of personality that appeared around Costa and the whole Magpul Dynamics thing when they came on the scene.

As a guy who's never taken a action shooting class before, I was wondering if you had any recommendations on where to start. I've been thinking about broadening my horizons, but the only plans I have right now for the coming year is Rogers like I previously stated.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

How much do your custom guns improve your scores? I mean, if you had to shoot with stock versions of your guns, do you think your scores would be significantly different? Have you ever tried it?

4. Unregistered

I had no idea red dots were used back in Vietnam! Learn something new everyday. That's pretty awesome!

Oh the comp is definitely something else. The concussion is quite immense, and I almost always double up with both earplugs and earmuffs when shooting the rifle.

I appreciate what Costa and Haley did as far as bringing firearms manipulation training and technique to the forefront. They emphasized safety and the need to practice above all else, and I think it's a good message that has spread to even the non-tactical crowd.

I don't know about courses teaching shotguns / rifles unfortunately. But for handguns, I really highly recommend Ben Stoeger. He is the US national champion several years in a row now. Most importantly, he is truly self-taught and has succeeded through critical self-analysis and break down of techniques. I bring Ben up here once a year to put on courses and they always fill up. His website is http://www.benstoeger.com/

Other top guys I've shot with are talented and things just came naturally to them, which makes it hard for them to teach.

I shoot in a division that only competes against others using firearms that are similar to mine. It's called "Open" division, as in "everything goes". A stock version of my gun would be something like a 1911. Without the compensator and red dot sight, the shooting would be slower. Hits would be about the same, since I'd just take a fraction longer to get proper sight focus on each shot.

Other divisions are definitely available. Single Stack division only allows for the classic 1911 guns. Production division (which is by far the largest division in number of participants) in USPSA/IPSC uses stock firearms with very limited modifications allowed. Bone stock guns along the likes of Glock 17s, S&W M&Ps, etc are very common. I don't compete in these divisions because it's a different game.

5. noob15

noob15 Senior member

The Armson OEG was used on the Son Tay raid.

I've heard some pretty good things second and third hand about Ben Stoeger from trainers I respect, but until now my focus has been in other directions.

6. Unregistered

I've also had good experiences with Todd Jarrett, Eric Grauffel, and Max Michel. I still prefer Ben to all of them. Maybe Todd Jarrett would be another good person to take a class with in order to get the crucial solid fundamentals.

Have you shot any USPSA matches before?

7. noob15

noob15 Senior member

No, I shoot primarily IDPA SSP and 3Gun.

8. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I need to start shooting IDPA. The weather here has been great so the 3Gun season has been extended as well as USPSA.
    What I have been really enjoying is the super steel challenges at peace maker national.

9. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I'm thinking about getting a Ruger SP101 revolver in .357 magnum. Any thoughts?

10. noob15

noob15 Senior member

For what purpose?

11. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Just to shoot for fun. I've always sort of wanted a revolver.

12. noob15

noob15 Senior member

In that case yeah, sure. Solid guns, actions are a little rough compared to SW, but more durable. They shoot very easily with .38 Special. Just remember that revolvers need cleaning too.

What barrel length are you getting?

13. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I'm thinking either the three-inch or maybe the 4.25 inch.

14. noob15

noob15 Senior member

The three inch is a great all purpose size. Easy to carry, easy to hold. Still plenty of accuracy.

1 person likes this.
  15. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Awesome. Thanks for the input!

16. noob15

noob15 Senior member

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

For me the S&Ws are so much more beautiful...but that's totally subjective of course. From what I've heard, there's nothing more robust and reliable for your money than the SP101.

Unless you want to concealed carry it, I'd go for the 4.25", though: take a look at muzzle energy graphs for a standard 125gr load, and you'll find that 4" is kind of a sweet spot for the .357 mag. Shorter than that and it starts to drop off rapidly. Still way more boot than the .38+P from the same barrel, and if you want to tuck it away then 3">2" by a big margin. But if you're going to holster it and generally play with it in plain sight, more is more.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. Slips

Slips Member

There are a few companies I know never to buy from Hi-Point for example.

19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

teh SP101 is a great revolver. Ive sold a ton of them. Personally i like the smiths so much better but thats just personal opinion.

Id advise getting larger than a 3" in 357. like mimo said...you really gain so much with an extra inch...plus, shooting 357 from a short barrel isnt a lot of fun. Plus, shooting a .38 from a 4" 357 frame is fantastic.

20. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

One of the things that appeals to me about the 4" barrel is that the sights look a lot nicer--an adjustable rear sight and a fiber-optic front. It's not like I'm any great shot with a handgun (or anything, for that matter) but it would be nice to have something a little better than a non-adjustable front blade and a rear groove milled into the gun itself.