1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. badsha

badsha Senior member

:foo:

Thanks guys. One of my close friends who owns several small handguns said I should also look into .38's like a Ruger or Glock 380.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

So, I would warn you to be careful when talking about .380s (three-eighty) which is a semi-automatic round (also known as a 9mm short). It is different than .38 (thirty-eight special) which is a revolver round and can be shot out of a .357 magnum revolver.

I have made my bias known for single-action only, so if you want to look at a small .380 or 9mm you can check out the Sig P238 or P938. They're not for everyone, and I prefer the 238. Another one is the S&W Bodyguard. There are a lot of options in the pocket pistol category these days. Try out a lot of them, and get the one you feel most comfortable shooting. They won't do you any good if you don't practice regularly.

3. suited

suited Senior member

I'm carrying one right now. $500 might be a bit ambitious on the price, but not impossible. The PM9 is a great carry piece, but I expect Glock to release a single stack, sub compact 9 in the next 6-8 months, so keep that in mind.

The PM9 is arguably too large for pocket carry, though. I use a crossbreed.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  4. badsha

badsha Senior member

Lots of options. I am liking the SIG P938. The S&W Bodyguard 380 is sweet.

Glock is a brand right?

5. suited

suited Senior member

Yes. It's widely used by police departments across the country. Reliable, easy to disassemble and reassemble, and a solid value. Have you looked into any training at your local shooting range? It's a good idea if you are completely new to firearms.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

On the subject of .380s, if a single-action pistol is preferred, I am told that the new Colt Mustang Pocketlite is very good, a much finer gun than the old Colt Mustangs, which impressed me as being okay but not the equal in quality to the larger Colt autos like the Government or Commander models. I have a limited edition Colt Mustang +II that I acquired back in the late 1980s that impresses me as pretty good little gun in its class.

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I went out to shoot sporting clays the other day. Second time doing it and shot a 24/50. There was a league ahead of us, and their best score was 40, and one of the guys was telling me, most of the group is upset when shoot in the low 40s. They were pretty friendly and encouraged me to join a league.

There is just something about sporting clays that I enjoy more than any other type of shooting.

8. Pollit

Pollit Active Member

what´s the reason for you guys to get a gun? self-defense? shooting practice?

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Because we live in by God America and it's our God given right.

1 person likes this.
  10. Big A

Big A Senior member

I had a lot of failures with my Kahr P40, couldn't really resolve them and came to the conclusion that the 40 round was too much for the engineering of that gun. It was also uncomfortable to practice with, though any small gun is.

I'm carrying a Taurus PT 709 now and I really like it (mixed reviews but mine has been flawless) but I'm thinking of trying out one of the Kimber Solo models or a S&W Shield.

11. Big A

Big A Senior member

Self defense

12. suited

suited Senior member

New arrival, thing is a beast.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. TheSunisShining

TheSunisShining Senior member

Why am I not surprised?

14. TheSunisShining

TheSunisShining Senior member

15. suited

suited Senior member

I don't know - maybe because this is a thread dedicated to firearms, or maybe it's because you wield enough common sense to know that someone with valuable firearms wants to keep them under lock and key.

16. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Picked up this little gem for 3 gun this Spring. Now I need a proper handgun. My glock 23 isn't cutting the mustard. I am thinking M&P pro or the walther PPQ , but the glock 17L might be a dark horse. Any 3 gunners want to weigh in?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  17. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

If allowable by the rules where you shoot, there's a reason guns like the CZ SP01 Shadow or Tanfoglio Stock 2 rule in IPSC/USPSA production. The steel frame makes them much better guns to shoot than polymer frames for what we do.

Good choice on the VM. I use the basically the same gun for 3-gun here. Well, I got mine before the 3 gun model was released so I had the lifter welded and opened up the loading port myself.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mauro

@unregistered I don't even want to start looking into custom builds yet. I am new to the sport. If I score well I will move up. If my accuracy is improved by downsizing to a 9mm and if the PPQ is more accurate than my glock I will be in a sweet spot for awhile until I "need" to upgrade. Not one person has really said anything bad about the PPQ for an out of the box gun. I know it's not a custom but I try to rationalize my buying habits in terms of proficiency. For example I use a "Silver Pigeon" to shoot skeet and sporting clays. I have yet to hit a 50-50 or 100 hell I haven't hit 25 out of 25 yet. I score 22's and 23's all the time. Would a top of the line Perazzi get me the 24's and 25's probably not. Until I am banging 24's and 25's on the regular I won't upgrade. I need to over come the mental hurdles. This would apply for 3 gun, too. If my time is good and I am above most I will stick with what I am doing. If my time is tenths of a second from the pro scores one day then I will build custom for sure.

What matches do you attend? I am on the east coast. I will go to" PeaceKeeper" for my first match this Spring. I am putting in serious range time in the meantime.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

The CZ SP01 Shadow is a $900 gun. Not a custom build by any means.

Not the prettiest firearm out there, but sure does the job.

[​IMG]

Shooting one of those versus shooting a polymer frame firearm like a Glock is almost...cheating. The single action pull can be tuned to be around the 3lb mark and be smooth as butter.

I'm up in Canada. I typically shoot IPSC here and USPSA down in MT and WA. 3 gun I shoot up here, but would love to go to the big matches like iron man and superstition mountain...

20. Mauro

I really to like the front sight post are the rear sights blacked out?