1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Any thoughts on brands to look at for concealed carry holsters? Got my license on Friday.

2. suited

suited Senior member

Crossbreed
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

I have the mini-tuck. Extremely comfortable and it distributes the weight effectively.

Good overview of inside the waistband holsters

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  3. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I like the supertuck deluxe (crossbreed) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. But make sure you get a good gun belt too. "Normal" belts aren't stiff enough to support the multiple pounds that a loaded sidearm weighs.

4. suited

suited Senior member

+1. I purchased a Saddleback belt just for this. Consider the width of the belt. 1.75" is probably too wide for most holster clips.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Damn you to hell, Big A! I had the urge to drop $800-1k on my cheap little 10/22 conquered but now I'm thinking how much I need a replacement stock and want a Kidd barrel and trigger group replacement.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I have 3 700s, 30-06, .308 and a 7mm. older models need trigger work (although I understand the new x-mark trigger is externally adjustable). 30-06 is the perfect cartridge in my opinion for a bolt action deer rifle as there are so many mass market options (even sabot rounds if you can still get them).

I have Nikon scopes on my bolt action rifles. Good quality for the money.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  7. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Thanks. I assume Gander is as good a place to shop as any other?

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Gander's good, but you'll pay retail. Try a local small shop and you might get a better price. And if you can get a used 700 there's no shame in that.

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I would avoid Gander. If you have a Farm & Fleet try there. Their prices are consistently less. Otherwise try slickguns.com and do a search. Or try a local gun shop as the birdman says.

1 person likes this.
  10. Big A

Big A Senior member

I stand corrected

11. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Thanks. I'll look at 700s and maybe something else if it catches my eye. I like the idea of plinking with a .22, but I don't need 2 rifles for now.

12. suited

suited Senior member

I've never encountered a gun shop, including Gander, that won't match prices. I would support the smaller stores, but if Gander is the most convenient just get prices from the area and they will call to confirm the price, and match it.

13. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

By the way, just got an email. JULY4 gets you 10% off your crossbreed order

14. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Speaking of long-range 22LR shooting, I built this rig a few years back for a local club competition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To compete you had to shoot bench, prone, and standing in timed stages. Targets were placed between 25 and 200 yards and the distance from stage to stage would jump around so you really had to learn your rifle and sighting system. Very challenging and a whole lot of fun!

This particular rifle ended up shooting well enough to run with some $5k+ rigs. My best 100 yard result with this rifle was 24 shots into a group measuring .8" (center-to-center.) Wind conditions have to be favorable to shoot like that though. Tiny one-hole five-shot groups at 50 yards are the norm with these guns. With practice you can shoot 2-3" groups at 200 yards (reading wind becomes really important at that range though.)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
  15. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Now this is cool!

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

:worship:

Need a run down on the parts!

17. A Harris

Build details:

- Ruger 10/22 receiver
    - Kidd scalloped silver bolt, firing pin, extractor
    - Kidd silver/black charge handle, rod, medium spring
    - Kidd two stage trigger, black with red curved blade, set at 5oz/5oz
    - Kidd speed lever magazine release
    - Kidd receiver pins
    - Kidd buffer
    - Hex head takedown screw, torqued to 20 inch pounds.

- Fajen Legacy adjustable synthetic stock
    - Uncle Mikes swivel studs and swivels

- NOS Hogue 20" fluted matte stainless bull barrel

- Konus M30 8.5-32x52 scope, 30mm tube
    - Weaver 6-hole tactical rings, medium height
    - Tactical Solutions 15 MOA Picattiny rail

- Sinclair tactical/varmint bipod
    - Random Butler Creek sling I had laying around

The barrel is free floated and is resting on an epoxy pillar topped by a rubber pressure pad. The action is shimmed so it can't move at all.

Hogue is local, just a few miles from where I live. In 2001 they were selling 10/22 barrels made by Clerke and one of their employees bought this barrel for himself when he saw the test target - 5 shots measuring .275" ctc, with 4 of them measuring .15" ctc. He said it was the best test target he ever saw. It was still brand new when he sold it to me.

This gun likes SK Standard Plus and Wolf Match Target which are essentially the same ammo. I never tested it with any of the really high grade stuff.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Harris, I like the adjustability of that stock. Did it come with stud holes? How was the finish and how easy did the action go in? Do you have to glass mount the barrel or can you just let it fly?

19. A Harris

The stock doesn't come with stud holes, had to drill those. The action goes in easily, they have less slop than a lot of commercial stocks but there is still some play. I shim the action by building up strips of aluminum tape at the back until you have a slight press-fit. I would say finish is good for a commercial stock but it isn't meant to be a showpiece. These stocks aren't made anymore, but you can still find them on eBay fairly regularly.

Very few hardcore 10/22 guys glass bed their barrels. The pillar/pressure pad technique is a bit Rube Goldberg but has proven to be extremely effective. With this particular stock you open up the barrel channel, fill one of the pockets in front of the takedown screw with epoxy and top it with rubber to create a pressure pad:

[​IMG]

The barrel only contacts the pressure pad and is under pressure from the takedown screw. If you use a torque screwdriver on the takedown screw it allows you to influence barrel harmonics and tune the gun to different types of ammo, plus it's repeatable. It's not elegant or sexy, but it just plain works. With this setup you can move your focus to things like barrel temperature (that's the big one,) ammo temperature, barrel cleaning frequency, residue buildup on the breech face, cant, bipod tension, etc. in search of consistently smaller groups.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Okay, thanks. This just made me remember I do not need another obsessive and expensive interest and should be happy with my 1.5" ten round groups from my $219 stock 10/22!

:laugh: