• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[ATTACHMENT=1932]photo (4).jpg (437k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I carried a HK P7M8 for 20 years, just switched to a walther PPS, very thin, very light

Just noticed this post Arthur....why did you switch? I wouldn't give up my P7M13 for the world

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I needed a soft case to take my 16" barrel AUG (around 27" OAL) to and from the range. Looking around at the off-the-shelf options on-line I wasn't overly impressed. I was either looking at something too big or something covered in 9mm SMG mag pouches when all I needed is a simple carry bag with good padding and somewhere to keep a spare bolt (for right-handed friends). That's when I remembered Retro Tactical - I had been following Tony's work making molle 'tactical' pouches for the SVD and other 'retro' rifles. After exchanging a few emails in December I decided that something custom made for the rifle would be very appropriate and also not as pricey as I had feared. I ordered some 1000D DPCU Auscam fabric from Australia while Tony did the design work. He didn't have an AUG on hand so I sent some detailed measurements and pics per his requests.

I am very pleased with the end result. It is simple, rugged and a fair price. The internal hook-and-loop straps are highly adjustable to hold the rifle securely in place. The zipper is a heavy duty YKK and the padding is nice and thick. There is an elastic loop piece to hold a spare bolt that I may eventually use to hold a spare barrel.

Now, if someone could point me in the direction of some heavy-duty KLMK material I think my AKS74U 'Krinkov' may need a new home.

Tony also did a great job cutting the fabric I sent, so I now have quite a bit of extra DPCU fabric that I need to think of a good purpose for.

imgp6534u.jpg

imgp6535.jpg

imgp6536.jpg

imgp6538.jpg

imgp6539c.jpg

You'll see my nearly-two-year-old son is doing his Happy Dance after seeing the new case. The duffle bag came from the same Australian store selling the fabric and is a nice partner to the new case.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UGs, really do miss mine. Should have never sold it.

I picked up a stainless Vaquero in 45 Colt the other day. It handles well and shoots great. I'm thinking about sending it off to Hamilton Bowen for a little work. I think I'm going to have him install a dovetail front sight with interchangeable blades so I can sight in several different handloads. While I'm at it I'll have him check the chambers for proper sizing and have the forcing cone recut to better handle LBT hardcast bullets. Might as well have the cylinder gap tightened up as well. I'm working up mid level loads for this thing and it looks like about 13 or 13.5 grains of HS-6 behind a 265 grain LBT hardcast slug should be good for hunting most lower 48 big game and it's about as far as I want to push a Vaquero. For the big mean nasty stuff my Blackhawk with a 325 grain LBT hardcast with a lot of H110 behind it is my handgun of choice. Of course my Marlin GG in 45-70 will be right next to me while I hunt a big bear or moose. LOL.

Disclaimer: The load data mentioned works in my gun and is not SAAMI spec. The pressure generated is around 20,000 psi which is well above the 14,000 psi SAAMI spec.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I passed on an amazing deal for a pair of Vaqueros in .44mag a couple of years ago ..... and still regretting it!

The new Steyr AUG may get released this year after all. FN are currently producing barrels (14" with permafixed muzzle device, 16", 20" and a 24" with bipod), cold hammer forged and chrome-lined using imported Austrian blanks. FN will not be making the receivers - that is still a mystery. It dose sound like they will be a lot better than the last attempt by Saber Defense. I'm definitely going to get a couple extra barrels when they are released. There is also a .22lr conversion kit in the works!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I passed on an amazing deal for a pair of Vaqueros in .44mag a couple of years ago ..... and still regretting it!
The new Steyr AUG may get released this year after all. FN are currently producing barrels (14" with permafixed muzzle device, 16", 20" and a 24" with bipod), cold hammer forged and chrome-lined using imported Austrian blanks. FN will not be making the receivers - that is still a mystery. It dose sound like they will be a lot better than the last attempt by Saber Defense. I'm definitely going to get a couple extra barrels when they are released. There is also a .22lr conversion kit in the works!

Those were the old model Vaqueros. If I ever come across one of those in 45 colt I'll own it. They can take the Blackhawk loads no problem. I should note that my recent purchase is the New Model Vaquero. According to Brian Pearce and a couple of other well known 45 Colt afficiandos it's a 20,000 psi gun no problem. Hence the load data above. I've seen people stick the 325 BB ammo in them and pull the trigger. Saw a fool do the same thing with a Judge. I'm surprised I wasn't witness to a Darwin event since that stuff is on the top end of the Backhawk/TC only loads! I'm really thinking about getting a Bisley variant of the Blackhawk and sending it out to John Linebaugh for a complete rework. Then I would have one of my grail guns. I'm also considering a 1911 buildup with the 460 Rowland round. That would make for a fine fast hunting handgun as well.

I still miss my early 80's AUG. Really cool gun and a great shooter. Now I do know where a pristine H&K 91 is up for sale but I'm not sure I want to spend 5K on it.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know of a source for brand new still in the box late-1980s production AUG A1s for a bit under $3K. It's an amazing opportunity and price, but I like shooters and not collectors. For the same reason I wouldn't pay much over $2K for an HK91 (I actually prefer FMPs anyway).

The AUG is a lot of fun to shoot - and it's been fun seeing how my 'muscle memory' didn't forget all the training so many years ago.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very good price on those AUGs! I don't miss it enough to buy another one though.

Heard back from Hamilton about the sight installation. It looks like I would have to get a new barrel installed to do the job or have mine cut to 4 inches. Dave Clements has a much more cost effective solution but it involved the addition of a low profile rear sight. Given what my intended use is it's not a bad option. White outline rear with a nice target front blade, all black is much better to deal with than the shiny stainless blade and notch for sure. The front blade is windage adjustable so with a few extra blades I can dial in a few pet loads and be on my way. This installation is part of one of his action rework packages as well. If I went that route just about everything else I would want done would be done. Another thing for me to think about. LOL.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^

I look forward to seeing some pics. I know next-to-nothing about Vaqueros, new or old.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally came in last week. Intend to shoot this 1911.

Regards.

62c2c911-c2db-2f7b.jpg

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats, you've been eyeing that piece forever. I recently came across a preowned for $400, that I strongly considered as a nice alternative to my compact (unfortunately I waited too long). I too hate the manipulation of the safety on the PX4, but I like the gun too much to let it go at this time.

We'll have to meet up soon.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Congrats, you've been eyeing that piece forever. I recently came across a preowned for $400, that I strongly considered as a nice alternative to my compact (unfortunately I waited too long). I too hate the manipulation of the safety on the PX4, but I like the gun too much to let it go at this time.

Thanks. So far I am liking it a lot - though I have only put 50rds through it ... and that was for my CHL requal! :embar: I had great plans to get to the range with the AUG and PX4SC last week while I was off, but it never happened.

I watched some used models but ended-up buying new for $465 with shipping from Jet Guns.

I'm still hoping the safety will loosen-up a bit with time and repeated manipulation.

We'll have to meet up soon.

I'd like that!!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a gun show for the 2nd time in my life. Decided to leave with this. Nothing special, but I love the simplicity in their design.

Last edited:

bmac11c

Reaction score
I miss my ClassIII MP-40 and Thompson M1A1! Sold off my gun collection about a year ago to make room for baby stuff! I will be getting back to it soon!

bwong337

Reaction score
Father in law just gave me a 1941 Colt Woodsman. Going to pick up target shooting as a hobby! :happy:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads