1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. billiam

billiam Member

I'm thinking now that I'll just make sure the pants pockets looks "good" when I have a pocket holster/wallet in the front pocket, and is sized up to allow for a holster.
    As for shirts, I think I will just tell them I will wear the shirts a little loose around the waist/belt/pant line, with a bit of slop/fold over the belt line to go over the holster/firearm, and see what they do.
    Will post pics when I get back from HKG!

2. the.chikor

the.chikor Well-Known Member

Well, the time has come where I have decided to purchase my first firearm. I'm looking at a 9mm Beretta pistol. What kinds of guns do you all have and which would you recommend for a first timer?

What do you want the gun for? Is it for defense or target practise? Collecting or carrying? I presume, based on your statement that this is your first gun purchase, that you are inexperienced with a firearm? IF yes, and you are using this firearm for self-defense, defense of others, etc., then I would keep it simple-buy a revolver in .357 or 38 plus P rated-this affords you a diverse ammunition spectrum. Why, b/c when in a jam and you don't have to think or remember whether or not you have a round in the chamber or whether the safety is on or not, instead, you just point and pull the trigger, albeit double action-usually 9-12 lbs (ugh). Now, if you decide that you have a lot of time to put into training and remaining proficient with the firearm-then go with a semi-auto, if you desire. As long as you attain and remain proficient with it, it will serve you well. 9mm, 10mm, .40cal, .45ACP-all are good. Go to a local shooting range and rent as many different guns as they have, shoot them and see what you prefer. Then go buy your first gun.

3. the.chikor

the.chikor Well-Known Member

.22 BB cap, CB cap, short or Long rifle I wouldn't want to rely on for self D, but .22 Magnum isn't so bad-it only takes approx. 400 feet per second to break the skin, but unless you hit a vital organ it ain't going to do much. In fact, I have seen some people shot with a 9mm-deader than hell, others ran off. I had a weapons guy in Afghanistan who checked out a 45 after he fired and confirmed 10 hits on target with his M-9, 9mm-92F in civ. world,-threat was still not eliminated! Moral of the story-for self defense-bigger bullet is usually better-especially when your life depends on it. However, 22-greatest cal ever for developing marksmanship skills and firearms proficency training-IMO.

4. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

What do you want the gun for? Is it for defense or target practise? Collecting or carrying? I presume, based on your statement that this is your first gun purchase, that you are inexperienced with a firearm? IF yes, and you are using this firearm for self-defense, defense of others, etc., then I would keep it simple-buy a revolver in .357 or 38 plus P rated-this affords you a diverse ammunition spectrum. Why, b/c when in a jam and you don't have to think or remember whether or not you have a round in the chamber or whether the safety is on or not, instead, you just point and pull the trigger, albeit double action-usually 9-12 lbs (ugh). Now, if you decide that you have a lot of time to put into training and remaining proficient with the firearm-then go with a semi-auto, if you desire. As long as you attain and remain proficient with it, it will serve you well. 9mm, 10mm, .40cal, .45ACP-all are good. Go to a local shooting range and rent as many different guns as they have, shoot them and see what you prefer. Then go buy your first gun.

I just want it for the fun of knowing how to use one. I have a Louisville Slugger for my home security system. Sadly I still have not fired my gun. I need to figure out how to take it down and clean it first. I just haven't had time. Maybe next week I'll make time.

5. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Well-Known Member

The Slugger requires you to be within reaching distance of your 'guest'...

Well I had started typing a long winded reply about what to get, when I realized you had already purchased a firearm. I can't seem to find or remember you saying it, so what did you end up getting?

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Holy necroposting. Lseca? You out there, man?

7. Beta

Beta Well-Known Member

can someone recommend a specific good strict personal defence handgun to me? I'm going to want one for while I'm at work late by myself.

Small would be good, but substantial caliber. I'm leaning towards just a revolver for simplicity and small size.

Do people carry on their ankles at all?

8. KBW

KBW Well-Known Member

can someone rec a .45 or a 9mm for around $1500 (or less if there's a great one) for home protection and range use??? I like smooth (rounded) edges if possible.

9. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

can someone recommend a specific good strict personal defence handgun to me? I'm going to want one for while I'm at work late by myself.

Small would be good, but substantial caliber. I'm leaning towards just a revolver for simplicity and small size.

Do people carry on their ankles at all?

357 magnum snub nosed revolver from a reputable manufacturer. It can shoot 38 specials which are good for practice and defense with the option of using mag loads once proficiency is attained. Forget the ankle carry if this is the only firearm you will be carrying. SOB, strong side hip and cross draw are the preferred carry for defense methods. Try to draw from an ankle holster and see how long it takes not to mention how awkward it is and you'll see what I mean. Part of bringing a pistol to play in defense situations is something called weasel craft. Want my wallet! OK! Reach for the wallet come up with a pistol instead. Lots to think about, learn the gun, your options, the law in regards to lethal force, get trained and then practice practice and practice some more. Good defense is a mindset more than anything else, discipline the mind and the rest will follow when it all goes wrong.

Just for the record I'm not only a gun guy I am a firearms instructor in rifle, pistol and shotgun including concealed carry, defense in the home and some tactical apps as well. Some of my favorite guns are the Cheytac 408, Kimber 1911, Colt Python, Benelli M1 Super 90, any good 22, Remington XP 100 in 221 Fireball of course, and the Thompson Center Pro Hunter rifle.

can someone rec a .45 or a 9mm for around $1500 (or less if there's a great one) for home protection and range use??? I like smooth (rounded) edges if
    possible.

Kimber 1911 in either caliber.

10. oneblood

oneblood Well-Known Member

You all scare me deeply.

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

I have a Beretta 9mm, Ruger P85 9mm, Smith and Wesson .45 revolver, and a crappy Taurus .38 special that makes a very fucking loud bang. One shotgun for home defense.

12. Beta

Beta Well-Known Member

357 magnum snub nosed revolver from a reputable manufacturer. It can shoot 38 specials which are good for practice and defense with the option of using mag loads once proficiency is attained. Forget the ankle carry if this is the only firearm you will be carrying. SOB, strong side hip and cross draw are the preferred carry for defense methods. Try to draw from an ankle holster and see how long it takes not to mention how awkward it is and you'll see what I mean. Part of bringing a pistol to play in defense situations is something called weasel craft. Want my wallet! OK! Reach for the wallet come up with a pistol instead. Lots to think about, learn the gun, your options, the law in regards to lethal force, get trained and then practice practice and practice some more. Good defense is a mindset more than anything else, discipline the mind and the rest will follow when it all goes wrong.

Just for the record I'm not only a gun guy I am a firearms instructor in rifle, pistol and shotgun including concealed carry, defense in the home and some tactical apps as well. Some of my favorite guns are the Cheytac 408, Kimber 1911, Colt Python, Benelli M1 Super 90, any good 22, Remington XP 100 in 221 Fireball of course, and the Thompson Center Pro Hunter rifle.

Kimber 1911 in either caliber.

Super helpful reply....357 .38 line up with other recommendations that i got...any particular models or just shoot a few and pick one that fits well?

13. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Super helpful reply....357 .38 line up with other recommendations that i got...any particular models or just shoot a few and pick one that fits well?

Shoot a few and pick the one that works best for you. For me a Colt Python 2.5 inch barrel is my first choice followed by a Lawman MK 3.

14. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

Hey fellas.

I'm interested in learning how to handle a firearm and eventually buy one or two. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to go to a range and familiarize myself with various weapons without a firearms ID card or other paperwork (NY/NJ area)?

Thanks

15. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

can someone rec a .45 or a 9mm for around $1500 (or less if there's a great one) for home protection and range use??? I like smooth (rounded) edges if possible.

Beretta 9000 for style and roundness.

Definitely consult the local law on firearm and especially allowed use of deadly force in self-defense. Those laws wary significantly from state to state.
    Some states would not let you carry or carry concealed pistols at all.

16. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Hey fellas.

I'm interested in learning how to handle a firearm and eventually buy one or two. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to go to a range and familiarize myself with various weapons without a firearms ID card or other paperwork (NY/NJ area)?

Thanks

why?

a friend of mine did a 2 evening course in the chicago area and then could rent a wide range of firearms from a local range. that seems like a reasonable system.

17. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

why?

+ 1

18. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

Hey fellas.

Thanks

No.

For no BS shooting range you have too look to PA, NH or VT in all other cases NY/NJ they want you to jump through hoops.
    Those training courses are complete nonsense.
    You will get all instructions on how to shoot a gun from shooting range staff in 2 minutes.

And forget about owning a gun in NY/NJ Those states don’t have proxy recognition for firearm license. Also you are not allowed to carry or even transport a gun unless it is disassembled unloaded and locked in a trunk of your car.
    Moreover you are not allowed to make stops or deviate form your original course if you have a licensed gun in your trunk. This is written in a law, I am not kidding you. Hilarious stuff. When you let libtards loose they will overregulate anything.
    why?

a friend of mine did a 2 evening course in the chicago area and then could rent a wide range of firearms from a local range. that seems like a reasonable system.

It is quite reasonable if you are retired COP and run this training program.

19. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

^ hey, that's the right attitude!

20. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

You will get all instructions on how to shoot a gun from shooting range staff in 2 minutes.

[​IMG]