Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

TF inspection passed. FFL will be in hand in a couple of weeks.

2. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

So I'm thinking about getting a rifle... I hear good things about the CZ 452 lux/special/trainer, which I have my eye on, but anyone else have any recommendations for a good first rifle? I've never shot a rifle before but I have shot a couple shotguns and pistols. Any advice on what to look for in a rifle, should I get lessons, etc.?

Thanks!

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

FFL in hand. Let the fun begin.

I think our new slogan should be one meat, one cheese and one AR-15.

4. suited

suited Senior member

I'm getting a pocket pistol (99% sure I'm going with the Sig238).

Who has one? What do you have?

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

i have one and wrote about it earlier.

[​IMG]
    Sig Sauer P238a by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

6. suited

suited Senior member

thanks, I missed that section of the thread. Just went back and read.

I've been researching online for a couple of weeks now. I've read countless forums, watched youtube reviews (hickok45 is very helpful, btw), and talked to a few shops in my area. I came up with a spreadsheet that lists the major strengths and weaknesses of the most common pocket guns, based on what I've read. I understand that for many, a 9mm is not a true pocket pistol, but I am including a few of the 9mm's in my options.

The Sig, by far, seems to be the favorite in terms of accuracy and recoil management. It is the favorite when it comes to fun shooting - which is a huge plus for me. I want a gun that I can run 200 rounds through without killing my finger/hand. The only reason that I am hesitant is that I came across a lot of bad reviews that detailed chronic issues with this firearm - to the point of it being deemed a design flaw by some. Often times, the issues even seemed to develop over time, allowing the gun to ostensibly function great out of the box, but develop problems down the road. It was more common with earlier production, but from what I can see, there is still some debate about this weapon's reliability. To be fair, I have also read excellent reviews from owners, but the staggering amount of negative reviews has me concerned.

The Ruger (LC9 and LCP) were the favorite in terms of reliability. The weakness for these guns is the trigger. Very long pull, and that seemed to cause issues with accuracy.

The Kahr seems to have an issue with chambering the first round. Per their recommendation, you need to chamber it by using the slide release, not by manually racking the slide. This seemingly pointless quirk pretty much ruled out the Kahr for me - especially at the price point.

Anyway, I'm still debating. If anyone is interested in this sheet let me know and I'll email you a copy.

7. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I had a Beretta Tomcat .32. Hydrashoks bent the frame. Now it's useless.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Bought an FNH .45 ACP this weekend. Took it to the range same day. Wonderful gun. Excellent feel, smooth mechanics and easy to take down. Love this gun. Anyone else own one?

On another note, thinking of getting a Springfield 1911. Any experience?

9. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I have an older (1989?) Springfield 1911 with a parkerized finish. It's a bit finicky with super-cheap ammo, but shoots great with Winchester. I got it secondhand for $400. Great buy.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

There isn't a thing wrong with the current production Sig 238s. Most of the problems that occur these days can be directly blamed on user malfunctions. One of the big problems is people think it's supposed to run like a Glock. It's not a Glock and it doesn't like to run filthy dirty. The simple solution is to clean the damn thing, Another problem is failure to properly lubricate it. There is a special grease that's used and if you use it the gun runs just fine. I love when people insist on using the wrong lubricant on a gun and then bitch that it doesn't run right. Follow the recommendations of the manufacturer and if it doesn't run then you have a legitimate bitch. Another problem is insisting that the gun run cheap shit ammo just like the good stuff. It's cheap for a reason. Get over it and quit expecting unreasonable results. It's the user's responsibility to test various types of ammo and to determine which one works the best in that particular gun. It's not a matter of what you like, it's a matter of what works best in that gun period. Then of course the last thing is poor shooting habits. Learn how to properly stand, hold the gun, squeeze the trigger and align the sights. I can make a Glock or any other auto malfunction rather easily. It's a useful demonstration to show the fallacy that the machine is ultimately reliable. No machine is so don't put all your eggs in the proverbial basket. It may cost you your life.

Last but not least. I really love all the arm chair experts who think firing 50 or 100 shots out of a brand new never been cleaned or lubricated firearm is a test. It's not. I ran close to 3000 rounds of ammo through my gun in all kinds of environments and conditions. I had a few fail to fire, fail to feed and fail to ejects. All the fail to fire was determined to be ammo related. The fail to feed/ejects all happened after several hundred rounds were fired flawlessly through the gun. Gee I wonder why? The gun was filthy and running pretty much dry. A decent field cleaning and some lubricant and all was good again. I've shot nearly 15,000 rounds through that gun and I have nothing bad to say about it. I do my part and it does it's part. that's why it's become my primary concealed carry gun.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^ I have no experience with the SIG 238, thanks to our goofy and oppressive California handgun laws. However, I want no part of any firearm sold for defensive purposes that requires a "special grease" or manufacturer-specified lubricants to function properly. If a gun won't run when lubed with good ol' WD-40, to hell with it, I say!

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Any stainless to AlMag contact requires special lubricant to keep the mating surfaces from galling. For that matter so does stainless to stainless mating surfaces. Failure to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance procedures tends to also void the warranty. You know better than to spout such nonsense JL.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I didn't know galling was still a problem with stainless guns. I remember it was a very definite problem with the first stainless auto pistols back in the 70s but hadn't heard anything of it in a long time. I certainly have not experienced any galling problems in any of the stainless pistols I own, and my impression was that the industry had whipped the problem about 30 years ago. I certainly have never used special lubricants on my stainless pistols, nor do I recall ever having been counseled by the manufacturers to do so.

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

It still exists. It's just the nature of the steel. A little extra nickel in the steel helps a lot along with the fact that most good gun oil these days is high performance synthetics or has teflon in it. Sig is one company that specifically recommends lubricants on their AlMag/stainless guns and includes some with each gun. It's some kind of moly anti seize compound.

15. suited

suited Senior member

I definitely agree about finding out what ammo works best and following the manufacture's instructions. Ultimately, I decided against getting a .380. One thing that turned me off was the price of ammo compared to 9mm. I have about 500 rounds of 9mm which I plan to shoot through this newly purchased gun over the first week or two. That would cost roughly $175 if I were to buy it locally. I'm giving serious consideration to the Kahr PM9. Had I gone with a .380, it would have been between the Kahr P380 and the Sig P238.