Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

^Looks like a fun range. Is that a Dragunov in the second pic? Kinda looks like one but kinda doesn't. Maybe the wrap is throwing me off
    Yup, that's my mate's Drag in snow camo - he was trying it out before going to Spetsnaz sniper school in PA next weekend. The range is fun - shooting out of and on top of those school buses is a hoot!

2. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

O' the Drag. I've always wanted to shoot one. At the same time, I don't really want to because I think the mystique is probably better than the actual gun. Don't want to be let down by it.

3. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Fun at 300 yards, private range:

Screw you Justin....you couldn't have picked up the phone![​IMG]

4. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

O' the Drag. I've always wanted to shoot one. At the same time, I don't really want to because I think the mystique is probably better than the actual gun. Don't want to be let down by it.

I never had much interest in them .... until I shot one. I have never shot tighter groups > 250m with anything and with such ease. I attribute part of that to the rifle, the ammo and also the optics. The Drag scope rocks.

Within the next few years I hope to pick up a Chinese NDM86 if we don't see a new batch of Russian Drags imported here (there are currently only the 100 KBI brought in years ago).

5. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Screw you Justin....you couldn't have picked up the phone![​IMG]

I'm angling to get a membership of my own there (it's invite only) and then you can come with me evry weekend! [​IMG]

6. suited

suited Senior member

7. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

8. TotesMcGotes

TotesMcGotes Senior member

I'm about to purchase my first gun... That being said I have a lot of experience with pistols, being around them since I was 12, I'm 21 now. I've shot everything from Glock 19 to Springfield XDM to a Knighthawk Talon. I've done a good amount of research and since I am getting this as a gift I have a decent amount to spend...
    Just wondering what you guys thought about an HK P30 as the first one I actually own.
    Any suggestions on other guns or on the HK are welcome. Just wanted some feedback really.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Have you shot one? Does it fit you? If it blows your mind, then okay.

Besides that, speaking as one who bought the latest Sig police-type service auto when it was new (SP2022) I would not suggest buying anything that is that new of a design. It is a major pain to get accessories. Spare mags are not real cheap, holsters are hard to find, parts have to be ordered, etc.

If I could go back and do it again I would put ubiquity much higher on my list of priorities. I would probably see if I can shoot a Glock well and start from there, with a compact or subcompact 9 or 40.

FWIW.

10. TotesMcGotes

I plan on shooting it this weekend at my local range. But I have a lot of experience with Glocks because my Dad has a few and its not my favorite pistol I have shot...

How do you feel about the Sig now?

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I feel ambivalent about it. It is a great pistol on paper, but it doesn't do much for me. I'm not very good with it, and maybe it doesn't fit me right. I don't shoot it much though, so it could be that. I shoot a lot better with other guns, and I feel like I should have gotten one I am better with - it would be more fun, I would practice more, I would get better, etc.

Speaking of which, I really should go shooting soon, it's been way too long.

12. TotesMcGotes

These guys have shown up at my local range.
    [​IMG]

13. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

14. suited

suited Senior member

^ Nice

Thanks, it was my great, great grandfather's.