• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Haven't bought anything yet. I will most likely get a .22 though. I'll see what the shop has.

As others have said, definitely a good choice for a first handgun. People who've never shot before (and I don't know if this is you) are generally first surprised by both the noise and the recoil that a firearm generates (even a small caliber one). Better to start smaller and get used to shooting before moving up to a higher caliber. You may even find that you prefer shooting the .22. It's certainly cheaper.

Also, while a larger caliber firearm obviously offers more stopping or killing power, make no mistake; a .22 will kill you dead. Learning gun safety is far more important than being the most accurate shot in the world.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Also, while a larger caliber firearm obviously offers more stopping or killing power, make no mistake; a .22 will kill you dead. Learning gun safety is far more important than being the most accurate shot in the world.

couldn't agree with you more.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, finally got around to taking my test. Kind of annoying since the gun shop 3 blocks from my place went out of business so I had to go into the Hood. I picked up a Ruger Mark III 678 22 Calibre:

2423_1.jpg

In all black since that is what they had.

flylot74

Reaction score
Both are very nice .22s though for different reasons. I really like the Browning a bit better for outdoor plinking. One year in Colorado I was popping prairie dogs from about 40 yds with one after a succesfull prong horn hunt. It was a real blast to shoot, great fun!

The Ruger is a better (for me) target gun. It is my gun of choice when I introduce novices to pistol shooting.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
That seems a bit long for carry TieC
wink.gif

I was going to get a Ruger 22 but I've heard they are a ***** to clean. Got a Browning Buckmark instead.

I bought a holster that straps to my shlong. I am reading that they are hard to clean at first and figure out, but once you do, you can take them down in 20 seconds. So whatever, they came recommended by many people I talked to and people in this thread iirc.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't find the Ruger hard to clean at all. I have the 22/45 (5" blued bull) and I cleaned up the action a little bit - it's extremely smooth now. Search around for a forum for them, they have all the info you could want. Pulling it apart and at least finding the parts that you touch up to smoothe it out will be educational as well.

Very fun and easy to shoot.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
As I stated on this thread before, I've own a Mark III for ages and have been extremely satisfied with it. I'm sure you will be, too.

I assume when Homer J says "Ruger 22" he means the 22/45 and not the 10/22 but in owning both I've never found either hard to clean.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The 22/45 has the controls in a similar location to the 1911, and the same grip angle. I think the field strip is similar, but I could be wrong.

Nice Browning.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, finally got around to taking my test. Kind of annoying since the gun shop 3 blocks from my place went out of business so I had to go into the Hood. I picked up a Ruger Mark III 678 22 Calibre:

In all black since that is what they had.

Good choice! I must have missed this thread...

You followed good advice on starting with a .22, assuming you aren't in dire need of a protective firearm right-this-second. It is extremely cheap to shoot so you can practice well......as much as you have time for, honestly! It also has less recoil and noise to start you off with a nasty flinching habit, and it will allow you to build proper firearm form and handling without dealing with the annoyances of larger caliber guns.

Good choice on weapon, though I have also heard they can be a bit of a pain to get used to stripping. Once you get pretty good at it, you may want to consider tossing a decent red-dot sight on it and see just how accurate you can be with it at longer distances.....you may be surprised if you have a steady hand
wink.gif
I have a small cheap crappy .22lr revolver and a Browning Buckmark Silhouette, and I have to say they can be my favorite handguns to fire!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I bought a holster that straps to my shlong. I am reading that they are hard to clean at first

rimshot.gif

Maybe we should start a whole new thread with people's proposed punchlines for this set-up.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
p15cj.jpg

Colt 1911, 45, the 'Ultimate Bright Stainless Steel" finish. Galco Miami Classic. Kilgour, French Stanbury 3-pc.

SieurDeLaSalle

Reaction score
I purposefully left any race out of it. I see how your mind works though. Maybe you can have them work in one of your factories for 10 cents an hour. Can fax them the paperwork on the way to your La Raza meeting.
laugh.gif
lol8[1].gif
rimshot.gif
lol8[1].gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads